Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

How do you remember your meter/insulin kits to take out with you ?

I always have to leave mine by the bread bin near the back door .
Doing this always serves to remind me pre-exit to pop them into my handbag .
[Used to keep my insulin pencil case in kitchen cupboard - found myself returning home
for it as forgot to pop it into my handbag :roll:]

It is now a part of my routine once used in the home - they get placed by the bread bin
ready for when I plan to go out via the back door !

Please tell/share with us - what you do with yours ?

Thanks Anna .

Quinkes

not always :shifty:
I have a dreadful memory and despite trying all sorts to jog it, regularly forget to take the kit with me. I even have a sign on my front door to remind and I walk past it...

I have been Diabetic for nearly 20 years... :roll:

effyfox

Hi
I always keep mine in my handbag. I ve been diabetic type 1 since a small child so have always had to have my kit with me. I discovered a handbag organiser from primark. It' s the simple idea of having a small bag (in my case it's like a bag with no lid buts lots of little pockets surrounding the main part, and it has small handles to grab and swap to a new bag).

When I swap to another medium or bigger sized bag I grab the whole thing (it carries all my other bits like a nail kit, plasters for the kids, business cards, and also spare insulin pens so I never get caught out (as I have done on the odd occasion). When I swap to a small bag I just grab th essentials, but basically I always keep mine in my handbag, which usually goes most places I do, so I never leave home without my kit as I never or at least rarely go out without a bag. I'm so used to having one with me, when I leave the house without a bag I always notice that it s missing. I have a terrible memory so this works well for me.

:crazy: Hannah :D

Mel24

Been diabetic since I was 11 years old now 24... I use to regularly forget to take mine to school with me when I was a teenager... My mother got me a spare set of everything so I have one for house and one that permanently stays in my hand bag for when I am out. Now I have no worries and no I have it every time I go out as I never leave the house with out my handbag. Mind you if your a guy that's not helpful at all.. Could always leave a spare In the car :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a couple of spare meters, the main one stays in the house and theres one in my coats pocket, though almost got caught out the other day as kept getting not enough blood error, then was down to the last test strip which confirmed the hypo I was having.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I have 4 meters. One in my laptop bag that I take to work, one in my work desk, one in the car and one at home. I also have insulin at home, in the office and 'on me'.

Pretty fail-safe, as I left my kit and pen at home ONCE and felt pretty **** and ended up booking half a day off, unnecessarily.

Hope this helps?!

Mart.

LittleWolf

I am joined at the hip to my meter! It's as second nature to take it out as my phone or wallet. I wonder if there are some meter bags/zip up wallets that come with a keychain loop or clip, or attach to a belt. I suppose it'd only look as our of place as a pedometer especially if you went out jogging or something

Having spares is definitely a good idea though.

thebassist84

Hooked said:
It's as automatic as remembering my keys or phone; but I have been diabetic for 26 years. ;)

Hehe, same boat! I'm just at 18 years but its automatic. I've also stock piled several meters that take the same strips and left them at work, the car, rehearsal studio and my mates. Also keep a lockable box in the works fridge full of insulin etc in case I'm ever stuck. I've still been caught out tho!

brian1956

Have 5 lx meter`s which they will provide without problem ,keep 1 at home and have 2 car`s we keep 1 meter in each car,Ihave a bag which I take out with me and keep 1 by the side of the bed,if you ask them they are also happy to give you a rubbercover for each meter of different colours so that you know which meters go where,with each meter I alway`s ensure that I have extra strips along with the test solution.Brian

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I consider my kit essential, like if if I've got no travel pass,wallet/money or phone and access pass/ID, I'd not be able to get to work. It's just an addendum to this list of 'need to haves'. Included in that is my blood coagulancy book and BG diary.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It is like just picking up your wallet and house keys on the way out, that said I don't always carry my kit around with me, for example if walking the dog or nipping into town then I just leave it all behind except my glucose which I always carry.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't lol. Sometimes leave at home or work and have to go back for it. Once even left it macds but luckily a member of staff new what it was and kept it safe.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, frequent travel with work is the issue, I have a bright orange zipped Eagle Creek packing bag, just the right size to fit everything in it, plus spare needles, test strips etc for a week, and go in my hand luggage - that is now on my mandatory packing list.

Otherwise, bedside table so it gets picked up when I get dressed.

Spare insuling? Post it note on the cupboard with my cofee in it - I don't leave the house pre-coffee.

John7956

I have a red bag I keep all my medicines in - NovoRapid, levemir, blood test kit, needles, lancets epi-pen, piriton, prednisolone, paracetamol, ventolin and a sharps box. I have just grown so used to picking it up; still sometimes forget though. Oops……

LaughingHyena

I put all the needles I will need for the day in my pen case in the morning, as well as meaning that I can just take it out if I need to a quick glance tells me whether I've forgotten a jab.

I've rounded up a few spare meters which all take the same strips so like others I have one in my bag, one in the car and one in my beside table. I keep little bags of jelly babies in my bag, coat pockets and glove box too so it's usually just a case of grabbing my bag. I try to go through it once a week or so and make sure everything is topped up.

With the kids we're usually already packing sun hats, sun cream, spare clothes, toys etc whenever we go out so my diabetic kit is just one more thing on the list.

I do have a check list for holidays or longer trips when there is more to remember and coming back home to pick up the forgotten item is more of a bother.