How do you (Type 1's) lose weight?

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Touched on this a little in the past. I gained some weight when I left hospital, which was to be expected for a number of reasons as I had lost so much, less activity etc.

The thing i'm beginning to struggle with a little is not being able to lose a couple of pounds. I don't want to lose massive amounts, half a stone probably to 10lbs at most. I am regularly exercising now and have cut back on my food intake a lot. I figure if I can take less insulin (by going low carb), then there is less chance of putting on weight and I can then lose some.

However, i'm not seeing it budge, not even close. If anything, I think I could end up putting on some more weight, even though I have cut down on food a lot and am getting regular exercise.

Anyone had experience with this? How did you overcome it etc?

Reactions: AlexJD

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi JoeT1, I know exactly how you feel. I've put on 1stone in 6months since diagnosis. I was always eating fairly low carb so there wasn't much I could cut out. I count carbs and average between 40 - 60gms a day. I'm a sloth and don't exercise so I think that might be the next step for both of us. I know the saying "you're never too old" but I think 64 is a bit much ofr a gym so I'm going to try and be creative. LOL!! could be just going up and down stairs. Good luck

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im having the opposite im losing weight i put it down to eating healthier used to eat loads of crisps and pies etc but only have them occasionally now it mad isnt it :)

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally eat less, move more and also have less high calorie food.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the opposite problem, I can't put weight on, but then I wouldn't really expect to given what I can (sensibly) eat.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
im having the opposite im losing weight i put it down to eating healthier used to eat loads of crisps and pies etc but only have them occasionally now it mad isnt it :)
Well done

Reactions: karen8967

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's where I am at @SueJB , I'm definitely eating at a deficit and burning more calories that I am consuming during the day.

If this is my weight, then so be it, it's not as if i'm out of shape and i'm into my weight training so it suits me to an extent. Almost if I could at least stunt the weight gain at the very least.

Very afraid to up my calories again, although I do think I will need to slightly to maintain some sort of strength

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Joe, I know you say you want to lose weight but are you actually overweight? If you aren't then I imagine it is very hard to lose 10lb unless you start starving yourself.

D

Deleted Account

I know the saying "you're never too old" but I think 64 is a bit much ofr a gym so I'm going to try and be creative.
My mother is 75 year old gym regular who only started about 10 years ago. She thoroughly enjoys her Tai Chi, yoga, swimming and water aerobics.
The gym is not for everyone but don't let age put you off.

That said, there's nothing wrong with being creative so get yourself moving. I think the best approach is finding something you enjoy and what to do be it walking up the stairs, dancing, helping out with wheeling around wheelchair users at a local home, cycling, window shopping or something else.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the opposite problem, I can't put weight on, but then I wouldn't really expect to given what I can (sensibly) eat.
i can eat anything as long as i bolus for it i have doner meat chips and salad once a week and dont get no spikes off that its mainly breakfast cereal that spikes me weetabix and porridge but if i fancy it i just have it

Reactions: dmckatana and JoeT1

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@JoeT1 . Sometimes it has nothing to do with calories but rather the food. Grains and dairy are very well known for stalling weight loss or gaining weigh. So if you’re consuming cream, cheese, etc you might want to eliminate them and see it that moves things.

Nuts are another culprit.

Any other food you might be intolerant tonas well. Grains, dairy, eggs, nuts, citrus fruits, shellfish are all on the top of the list

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carb is an obvious choice BUT keep a check on how much protein you eat or you won't lose weight but can actually gain weight. Low Carb, moderate protein and fat seems to work for me. (type 1)
I don’t know why I didn’t say that. Lol. That’s my mantra.

Yes, excess protein shows up as body fat with me. I set my protein at .8 g per kg LEAN body mass. Might be too low for some people but it keeps my bg and my weight happy. And my kidney stones

Reactions: JoeT1

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I am type 1 and a personal trainer but find that my weight has a set point and that deviating from that point is hard on a permanent basis. I am not overweight but nobody would call me skinny i f I dropped 10ib!
So are you where your body wants you to be? If eating low carb is helping blood sugar control and leaves you with good energy levels then maybe your weigt is right for you.
I also eat low carb but not keto but find my insulin requirements to be higher than I might have expected on this kind of diet. It seems that my liver chugs out plenty of glucose and therefore I still need insulin and obviously protein does get converted too.
Are you using less insulin ? If not, check if you are taking too much protein or snacking a lot and therefore taking on extra insulin which will then block the burning excess fat. Eating more fat may end up being the answer even if it is counter intuitive!
If you up the exercise especially cardio type stuff, your body will make you hungrier and you down regulate activity after your exercise session so. Doing weights will help you use less insulin and if your blood sugars are good (tricky with resistance training as it tends to increase bgs!) you will gain muscle which which change your appearance (less fat, more muscle) and increase your sensitivity to insulin. If taking this approach then don't measure results with the scale but by your belt size!
Eating less will work in the short term but in the long term your body will simply compensate by increasing appetite and decreasing energy levels so eventually weight goes back up (97% fail rate!).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's where I am at @SueJB , I'm definitely eating at a deficit and burning more calories that I am consuming during the day.

If this is my weight, then so be it, it's not as if i'm out of shape and i'm into my weight training so it suits me to an extent. Almost if I could at least stunt the weight gain at the very least.

Very afraid to up my calories again, although I do think I will need to slightly to maintain some sort of strength

Hi Joe.

I know very little about this sort of thing & have managed to maintain my weight for the last 30 years with very little effort..
Though I have noticed (depending on what sort of graft I do in my work.) my physique change...
So,
You sure your not just burning the fat & building the muscle?

Heard something said on the radio the other day regarding weight loss.? The guy said, don't use the scales take pictures of the progress... (Selfies.) Kind of makes sense to me! The only time I get weighed in, is at an appointment.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The more fat I eat the steadier my weight is. I don’t need to lose any but don’t want to gain. If inskimp on fats I tend to see a slight increase. I don’t eat copious amounts but every meal and snack is 80% fat.

Good advice from @NicoleC1971 above

Weird experiment. Eating a little butter before bed is helping my DP.

Reactions: KateMeg and smag3

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I ate any less I'd have no energy to move more

Food plus Insulin equals energy. Not enough Insulin equals not enough energy. So in your case eat what you need for the Insulin to provide you with enough energy to move.

SHESCOOBY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Liars
Hi I'm a TYP1 and I've had weight problems! I've also had weight loss surgery! But that was 2Yr ago and over them 2yrs a little has crept on! However 3 weeks ago I joined Slimming World and I've lost 9lb so far! I'm eating more than I usually do and of course healthy food! I don't eat **** anymore and I feel so much better plus HBA1c coming down I'm having a few issues with my BP at the mo but I do suffer with BP problems! Give Slimming World a go see how you get on, good luck x