Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Insulin????
While insulin is a drug in one sense, it's also something that is produced naturally by non diabetics, so injecting it is just replacing something that you no longer produce yourself (for a T1). I believe NoKindofSusie is being given inadequate care from her diabetic clinic, because insulin shouldn't be making her feel ill but should be allowing her to eat normally and take her normal amounts of exercise (including running marathons if she so wishes!). Insulin should be a help, not a hindrance, it's a question of finding the right type and dosage to suit each individual's lifestyle.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
While insulin is a drug in one sense, it's also something that is produced naturally by non diabetics, so injecting it is just replacing something that you no longer produce yourself (for a T1). I believe NoKindofSusie is being given inadequate care from her diabetic clinic, because insulin shouldn't be making her feel ill but should be allowing her to eat normally and take her normal amounts of exercise (including running marathons if she so wishes!). Insulin should be a help, not a hindrance, it's a question of finding the right type and dosage to suit each individual's lifestyle.
It’s not alway so easy or as cut and dried. My insulin has preservatives it. I don’t eat anything with preservatives so know I just inject them

I could never get my insulin to match my food with carbs until I low carbed.

Exercise is a wild card. Sharply goes one way or the other. Never knowing which

I envy people who can i next and eat and keep their numbers well within nondiabetic ranges. Kudos to them

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That's where I am at @SueJB , I'm definitely eating at a deficit and burning more calories that I am consuming during the day.

If this is my weight, then so be it, it's not as if i'm out of shape and i'm into my weight training so it suits me to an extent. Almost if I could at least stunt the weight gain at the very least.

Very afraid to up my calories again, although I do think I will need to slightly to maintain some sort of strength
I agree a bit but the new fat tyre around my fat belly says NO

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too prefer the laws of small numbers

Me too.

The problem is that even if I felt OK, I would not expect to be able to run far on what I am eating. I would never have called myself a runner, but I was at least aware that when I ran I would come home hungry and eat a big dinner. Could I do that now, yes, would I have to accept a bigger risk of problems to do that, yes.

It is a horrible bargain to have to make with yourself.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too.

The problem is that even if I felt OK, I would not expect to be able to run far on what I am eating. I would never have called myself a runner, but I was at least aware that when I ran I would come home hungry and eat a big dinner. Could I do that now, yes, would I have to accept a bigger risk of problems to do that, yes.

It is a horrible bargain to have to make with yourself.

Train your body to run on lower amounts of food. It's possible. All about new habits.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Train your body to run on lower amounts of food. It's possible. All about new habits.

I don't want to start a huge back and forth argument with you Joe, but have you heard of the law of conservation of energy?

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to start a huge back and forth argument with you Joe, but have you heard of the law of conservation of energy?

So you are just going to give up because a theory backs up your claims that you are not able to do anything anymore? YOUR BODY CAN RUN ON LOWER AMOUNTS OF CARBS.

So what's your plan? Continue to be negative forever?

Reactions: Ambersilva

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NoKindOfSusie - As a matter of interest, before your diagnosis, were you eating lots of carbs when you were exercising?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We all wear plenty of calories even the skinniest of us so allowing out bodies to access that fuel tank rather than the carbs we eat. I have heard it descibed by Jason Fung as going to the freezer in your gatage rather than alwsys using the fridge! The tricky thing is getting the insulin low but sufficient without our beta cells...

sue58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been type 1 for nearly 43 years and my weight used to be ok but as the years went by my weight went up then back down using weight atchers. I finally got very heavy and 1 year ago I decided to go to Slimming world. Their plan works great for a diabetic on insulin. I am now 1 stone lighter ( I've not done it for last 6 months) but am now back on plan and this week I lost.
Worth paying for to get support. They even have a booklet for diabetics. Good luck !!!!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
i can eat anything as long as i bolus for it i have doner meat chips and salad once a week and dont get no spikes off that its mainly breakfast cereal that spikes me weetabix and porridge but if i fancy it i just have it
Lucky you.. wish I could even thi
I have been type 1 for nearly 43 years and my weight used to be ok but as the years went by my weight went up then back down using weight atchers. I finally got very heavy and 1 year ago I decided to go to Slimming world. Their plan works great for a diabetic on insulin. I am now 1 stone lighter ( I've not done it for last 6 months) but am now back on plan and this week I lost.
Worth paying for to get support. They even have a booklet for diabetics. Good luck !!!!
Well done

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NoKindOfSusie - As a matter of interest, before your diagnosis, were you eating lots of carbs when you were exercising?

Probably not by most people's standards. I don't really know. This thing where you have to account for every single thing you put in your mouth isn't something I used to do. I'd eat subways and stuff. Why?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably not by most people's standards. I don't really know. This thing where you have to account for every single thing you put in your mouth isn't something I used to do. I'd eat subways and stuff. Why?

My thoughts are that before you became diabetic, your system just automatically got on and balanced your food + activity+ natural insulin to be benign.

Now, of course, you have to calculate the insulin to take, but if you are eating differently, it could easily be that you are not eating enough to facilitate the energy to exercise, rather than the diabetes robbing you of your energy.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have had to drop things off to a friend of mind who is 83. He has been T1 diabetic since he was 15. He's never at home, so I end up leaving packages or parcels in his porch. He's always out on his bike or striding it out into town. I saw him last night when he was loudly declaring those who took their car to go to the shops needed to think of the environment, and how we should all be thinking of the planet and so on.

What a bloke.

He's hale, hearty, energetic and does the most beautiful wood turning to keep himself amused. Later this summer, he's off to the US again, for a walking holiday.

Reactions: Kim Possible

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you are eating differently, it could easily be that you are not eating enough to facilitate the energy to exercise, rather than the diabetes robbing you of your energy.

Well OF COURSE I'm eating differently, if I ate like I did before I'd have to take about a billion units a day and I would very very super definitely mess something up.

That is very nice to hear about your rock star friend, everyone knows a rock star.

Going by information on this site I am likely to live to be about 57.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well OF COURSE I'm eating differently, if I ate like I did before I'd have to take about a billion units a day and I would very very super definitely mess something up.

That is very nice to hear about your rock star friend, everyone knows a rock star.

Going by information on this site I am likely to live to be about 57.
Oh dear, that's me gone this year then.

Reactions: hh1

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NoKindOfSusie

This thread was started by @JoeT1 to discuss how difficult it is for some T1s to lose weight.

I realise that you are struggling with a number of aspects of your diabetes, but if you have questions and wish to discuss them, you are welcome to start your own thread on the subject.

Would you like me to move your comments, and the responses to another thread, so that Joe's thread can get back on track?

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Iv lost loads from having my son 8 months ago and also doing weights , (muscle burns more calories )
Simply from weighing out sweet potatoes/ rice(brown) or another good carb .... weighing broccoli and chicken / fish / turkey mince and eating this 2/3 hourly I weigh 100 grams of meat and 60 grams of carbs and a handful of veg ... breakfast I have a protein shake with a handful of instant oats and a spoon of yog / peanut butter / a banana which keeps me full for ages
I have last shake before bed after either a bit of cardio or some weights
I’m never hungry now eating so often am losing weight and feel energised :)
Oh and it’s doing my blood sugars really well my hba1 is 44 atm
It is hard but it’s do able just have a cheat meal on a weekend as a treat :)

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Iv lost loads from having my son 8 months ago and also doing weights , (muscle burns more calories )
Simply from weighing out sweet potatoes/ rice(brown) or another good carb .... weighing broccoli and chicken / fish / turkey mince and eating this 2/3 hourly I weigh 100 grams of meat and 60 grams of carbs and a handful of veg ... breakfast I have a protein shake with a handful of instant oats and a spoon of yog / peanut butter / a banana which keeps me full for ages
I have last shake before bed after either a bit of cardio or some weights
I’m never hungry now eating so often am losing weight and feel energised :)
Oh and it’s doing my blood sugars really well my hba1 is 44 atm
It is hard but it’s do able just have a cheat meal on a weekend as a treat :)

Sounds good. I have always taken protein powder with my workouts, but haven't now since diagnosis and also with having gained weight, i'm just getting it from my food and not needing it too much for recovery. I'd probably look at adding it back in again at some stage. How does it effect your blood sugar though in general after taking it?