How Does Everyone Count Carbs When Its Not Pre-packaged?

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
SUMMARY: T1 for 30 years with insulin resistance. Recently started on metformin. Low carb the only carbs coming from veg (very rarely including potato). How do you count carbs?

This may seem like a pretty dumb question considering I've been type 1 for past 30 years and have always cooked/prepared my own food. That may imply a degree of skill but trust me what I can cook is pretty basic but I've recently moved back in with my mum who is a great cook.

I've always had very very unpredictable bood sugar readings which historically have had completely different reactions to doing the same thing, this is partly caused by stomach problems (caused by nerve damage) and also insulin resistance despite being on a very low carb diet. It is also due to severe insulin resistance despite being on a low carb diet. So have for many years had to treat my blood sugars on a reactive basis (waiting for them to start to rise and taking multiple small bursts of insulin) due to the delay in carbs being absorbed and the unpredictability of the reaction.

Recently I started on Metformin which has really changed the way I do things and I finally feel like I have some control over what I am doing but am a bit stuck on how I can accurately start counting the carbs. I know roughly how many carbs are in a lot of things but when you have a salad say with carrots and peppers and onions, or a bolognaise sauce or veg medley how do you go about counting the carbs. As

Yesterday the only carbs I ate came from a small bit of milk in my coffee in ikea (I can't drink it black I would normally have cream or milk-alternative), some celery roularde (this is celery root shredded with mayo) and some salad containing shredded carrot and some sliced peppers. My blood sugars had been almost dead on 7 for 6 hours then 4 hours after eating went up to 10 and overnight went up to 13..

D

Deleted Account

Regarding counting carbs in something like the salad you describe: the first time, I weight each ingredient, look up carbs per 100g for each and do the maths to calculate one portion.
I only do this first time. After that I remember (or I write it down) and guess how big the portion is.
Like you, I eat very little from packets so I have spreadsheets to help me calculate the carb content.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ThePenguinPimpI don't think counting carbs is the issue, if your rising overnight then your basal needs adjusting, doing some basal fasting tests will pinpoint exactly what's going on: http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

I would agree (edit: once I read back what I wrote that makes the most sense) except if I fast my blood sugars stay stable and I've done plenty of fasting testing... I perhaps shouldn't have given the example of yesterday as my blood sugars acted weirder than the normal atm and as though I hadn't had any metformin.. my basel rates are ok I think I must have had more celeriac than I realised and the fat from the bacon and eggs slowed down absorption.. If I fast my blood sugars stay stable as long as I don't have a problem with the infusion site..

Regarding counting carbs in something like the salad you describe: the first time, I weight each ingredient, look up carbs per 100g for each and do the maths to calculate one portion.
I only do this first time. After that I remember (or I write it down) and guess how big the portion is.
Like you, I eat very little from packets so I have spreadsheets to help me calculate the carb content.

Spreadsheets are a good idea.. often when I look back I can think oh it must have been that and I need to watch my portion size but at the time you think oh its a salad lol but if I track what goes into it more closely that should help..

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
its strange I thought when I went on metformin my basal rate would reduce.. so initially I reduced it but now its back where it was.. but the bolus amount seems way more effective so the amount I need to bolus has reduced significantly..