How High is to High?

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello All,

I have a question asking how high does your blood sugar have to be to be considered above average?

I ask this as once I'm back to work flying, the Civil Aviation Authority have a strict testing regime to follow - an hour before I report for duty and within 30 minutes before take-off (between 4-20mmol/l) and then testing every hour and within 30 minutes to landing (5-15mmol/l) which have to be noted in my flying logbook and said to the pilot next to me so as to be recorded on the cockpit voice recorder.

I totally understand their reasoning. Since I do have a limit to keep within, I have tweaked my insulin so before meals I'm typically 6-7mmol/l as opposed to maybe being the likes of 4mmol/l as that's out with the limits. I have a Freestyle Libre that I use inbetween the finger prick blood testing required by the authority. I have my target on my Libre as 5-9mmol/l with an average being 8.2mmol/l. This make me feel better that I'll be within target for my flying. Overall, I deem this being safe still and won't be contributing to diabetic complications that one may experience down the line?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Typically, the risk of complications is related to Hba1C, and the point at which complication risk increases is once the Hba1C level gets above 6.5% (that's interpreted as risk of complications being greater than for a normal, non-diabetic). 6.5% is roughly the equivalent to an average blood glucose of 7.7 mmol/l.

At it's most basic, then, if your Libre is giving you an average glucose level below that, then you should be okay.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your approach sounds very sensible and should enable you to stay safe. You can't really put an average figure to this but the upper and lower limits make sense.