How High ?

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
:oops: :oops: Been on the pump now for a week, I am getting quite big spikes in my BG's about 1 - 3 hours after breakfast typically goes from 5-6 up to 16- 17 but does eventually go down.
I normally have porridge but tried Weetabix as it has much lower carbs, but still got the same spike.
Is this a normal thing as it can't be doing me any good

Carb Ratio 1-11, my background seems quite stable especially through the night :)

Gary

kasiak

When I started the pump my first week seemed amazing and then everything went a bit pear shaped. The only way to go in my opinion is to keep in regular contact with your diabetes team. I ended up seeing the nurses really often (once a week or once every two weeks) for a while to sort out my basal rates. It takes playing around with and hopefully they'll be able to help you. There is a function which gives the insulin at different rates depending on the Glycemic Index of the food you eat and this maybe could be done with this but off the top of my head I can't remember it. I've been on a pump now since October and it's MUCH better than it was but still not perfect. Get support and don't feel bad about asking for it!!!

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Thanks, perhaps I need to Combo bolus...I am seeing the DSN on Tuesday so - See what she says.

Gary

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I like porridge a lot and have it for breakfast every day. About 78 grams of weight (65 gms carbs) I have it with milk and add olive oil to it after it is cooked. For me though I combo bolus having 80% up front ,.with the remainder over 30 mins but if I am a little on the low side .60 minutes. using an animas pump.
It is also very nice with a small satsuma type orange added after it is cooked and carbs allowed for. But we are all different and need diffferent settings