How highly would you recommend eating low carb?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Scardoc & Spiker, time to walk away and leave it at that :)

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And I stand by it. I am certain, 100% certain.

I would not say I was attacking anything but challenging the comments made by Dillinger. As you challenged my comments in return. Healthy debate they call it.
Maybe better to have asked him to clarify if he actually holds that extreme position you attributed to him, before launching a 2 page attack?

Scardoc

Maybe better to have asked him to clarify if he actually holds that extreme position you attributed to him, before launching a 2 page attack?

Ok, run back to page 4, find my reply to Dillinger and you will see that my actual comment was that from his post you could infer that eating your RDA of carbs is the reason 94% don't meet the target. Infer. What followed was my attempt to point out that there are numerous reasons for the failures. There was no 2 page attack from me towards Dillinger. I actually doubt I would have gotten as far as page 2 without him defending himself if there was.

Perhaps Spiker, it may have been better for your good self to ask me to clarify my position before launching into a blood boiling rant of your own.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My hba1c has stayed the same 5-6 for 30 years... Am I medical wonder?
I believe you are!

My rare diagnosis should put me in the same gang!
If it wasn't for low carbing, I wouldn't be!

That's a logical conclusion.

No disagreements or debate!!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Okay guys, leave the ranting/bickering alone now, lets get back to the OP, by all means continue your on going 'discussion' if you wish, but please, by personal messaging. :)

RRB

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never felt healthier, and no I am not severely starving my body! For the size of my stomach now, I eat as much as I can, and the LC for me will be sustainable...for the rest of my life!!! It's the best thing I have ever done in order toget my diabetes in a more "normal" range too.
Very low in fat tho, and in total calories. That's just what suits you? Many of us severely LCHF-ing have to get up to 80% of our calories from fat.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, I made that mistake with Georgie too, she is very calorie controlled because she has a gastric tube in place.
a large % of T2 who have stomach procedures have normal BG and insulin response afterwards, see Newcastle diet that aims to duplicate the food intake and weight loss. to try and achieve similar results.

AFAIK now, she is doing what she needs to do

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies to the OP and all forumites for my rantfest and any derailment. It's the cursed DRINK, you see!

In response to the OP - "Very". "But not always".

Reactions: 8 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Scardoc, why do you think in the entire population of diabetics, HBa1c worsens over time, regardless of tight control - testing and commitment? This is one of the most salient evidence points in the whole of diabetes management (equal in significance to "Hba1c correlates to complications", which we now take for granted).

Why is this? What is the reason?

@Spiker,

I hadn't seen that observation about 95% of T1s not achieving a good enough HbA1c, and it rather horrifies me, particularly as I'm starting to realise how unpredictable bolus-ing is going to be when I have to do it. I'm having difficulty understanding it. And please, what IS the reason?

Lucy

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
spiker, :bag:maybe you had too many carbs?......opps, did I say that out loud?

everyone tries to do what they think/told will work from various sources, but a 95% failure rate for whatever reason, is a world wide crisis in diabetic care.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spiker,

I hadn't seen that observation about 95% of T1s not achieving a good enough HbA1c, and it rather horrifies me, particularly as I'm starting to realise how unpredictable bolus-ing is going to be when I have to do it. I'm having difficulty understanding it. And please, what IS the reason?

Lucy

I'm really sorry Lucy but I don't think anyone knows why.

One thing you do see in the population data is that the tight control people have better Hba1c than not. So tight control does work. But both groups continue to worsen, the longer they have diabetes.

This is only statistics of course. There are always exceptional people. I have met people who have had T1 40 or even 50 years and barely a problem. And also people who have only had it a year or two who are a total car crash. :-(

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, Spiker. Oh dear. Well I suppose it's a case of doing the best you can.

I think I might forget that statistic, and continue to read Bernstein and be inspired by him, and his personal experience. I really want to be strong and healthy for my next 30 years .. .I think even lazy old me will make the effort to get it right.

Lucy

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, Spiker. Oh dear. Well I suppose it's a case of doing the best you can.

I think I might forget that statistic, and continue to read Bernstein and be inspired by him, and his personal experience. I really want to be strong and healthy for my next 30 years .. .I think even lazy old me will make the effort to get it right.

Lucy
Bernstein is one of those exceptional people who have beaten the odds, comprehensively beaten the odds. So it makes you think whether doing what he did and does could achieve the same results for someone else. We don't know for sure, but then there aren't that many alternatives either. My approach is that I do everything that might have a benefit, as long as I am reasonably sure it doesn't have a danger. So I low carb, pump, got a CGM, experiment with new insulins and new toys. I don't exercise but I meditate and it seems to have a similar beneficial effect for me on insulin sensitivity as exercise does.

It is basically Pascal's Wager. If a thing won't hurt you, and might save you, why not do it. It's not a rock solid argument but unfortunately we do not have the luxury of very many rock solid facts in this game of our diabetic lives. :-/

Reactions: 5 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is fine if

.My reply was actually agreeing with what Noblehead said to the OP about not going lower than she needed to after it was recommend by Zand why not try to go down to 50g as this was the proper way to do it. How can that be the proper way to do it when we are all different and some can tolerate more carbs than others

I understood that to be an open and generalised question, so replied to that with my own perspective .

Signy

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
LCHF has transformed my position from negative to positive from out of control to under control from unhealthy to getting better by the day.
All a bit confusing and a little daunting at first but I can't imagine myself ever going back to what used to seem perfectly normal ... which now appears poisonous and threatening.
I'm enjoyig the challenges that get thrown up and the taste of my food like I haven't in a long time.
Wife is preparing steamed veg and a huge piece of cod for me right now.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Spiker................a Buddhist Monk, now there's a thought :D

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I count nothing weigh nothing other than regular testing.