How long after T2 diagnosis did you start insulin

thebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was put on insulin about 2hrs before being told I was diabetic. Been on it for the past 10 years now.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was put on insulin about 2hrs before being told I was diabetic. Been on it for the past 10 years now.
Were you ever tested for T1? It's relatively unusual for T2s to go straight onto insulin and (at least in the UK) you get slightly better NHS treatment with a T1 rather than a T2 tag to your diabetes.

KevinJ22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Diagnosed around 11 years, most of that time treated with various combinations of tablets , now have added Insulin (once a day Lantus) and adopted a no sugar low carb diet, last Ha1bc was 110, now hopefully on target for around a 50 reading.. spent years oblivious to the danger of carbs

Reactions: hankjam and filly

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
6 years after diagnosis, 2st 3 great control on Gliclazide 40mg once a day, last 3 years appalling control and have also had other meds and Glic increased. Now off all meds just on insulin

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on insulin while in hospital for something else, no discussion, not even told it was insulin and that I was diabetic (though easy enough to work it out). I came off it onto Metformin as soon as I was out of hospital (GP wasn't happy but allowed it just to prove to me how wrong I was - which I do understand him thinking) and was off the Met. within a few weeks, and purely diet-controlled ever after. Apologies for posting on an insulin-users thread, but it just might be useful for others in a similarly bizarre situation, because I can't possibly be the only one, that it is possible in some circumstances to change if definitely T2 (I wasn't even told I was T2).

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought it might be worth throwing in here that both my parents, now in their mid 80s were diagnosed as type 2 in their 50s and nothing much has changed for them in the last 30 years. They seem to get by with metformin and scowling at the sugar content on packets.