How Long Did Your Honeymoon Period Last?

qbix

Subject should say it all really. I have been on insulin for a little over 4 months now and most of the time am quite stable. When I was diagnosed the hospital made it very clear that my insulin requirements would get larger, as the honeymoon period wore off. I am now starting to wonder how long this period will last and if there is anything I can do to prolong it. Any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside I would like to say that I have only been on this forum for a short time now, but have found everyone to be really friendly and helpful and have never felt so welcome in my life, so thanks to everyone I have had contact with so far :clap:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed almost 3 months, been in the honeymoon period for about 6 weeks :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I was diagnosed Jan 2013. On insulin but still in honeymoon phase. I pretty much eat and drink what I like ! I sometimes wonder if they made a mistake !
I guess the thing is to enjoy it while we can ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same as mo, I eat and drink as I please! I do take insulin for meals as I'm trying to reduce my hba1c, but even if I don't I rarely rise above 10 and my consultant told me he was "happy" with that level. So the decision to continue my insulin is entirely my own, but in only on 0.5 - 1.5 units per meal depending on carb content. I rarely snack, but if I do there is little or no effect on my next pre-meal BG test

Apart from glazed doughnuts...... I get a 2mmol/l rise from them consistently haha

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't have a honeymoon period as I had my pancreas removed. I had a test post-op to see if any rogue insulin cells were in my body, but it was zero.
6 months in now, I'm very disciplined but still haven't got the control I'd like.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
hello all, i was diagnosed in Oct 2009 and i have my hba1c results tomorrow and have a gut feeling that they will offer me metformin as i am convinced that my levels are rising which means that my 'honeymoon' period lasted nearly 4 years.