How long does insulin take to work?

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, sorry to ask another question, but all of this diabetes is so confusing!

I have been put on 6 units of Abasaglar (slow release) insulin to take before bed whilst I await my peptide/islet tests to come back to confirm either type 1 or type 2.

Last night was the first night. Prior to bed my blood glucose was 12.6 and when I woke up they were still 12.6.

I felt slightly disappointed as I had hoped they they would have some effect strait away. Does it usually take a few nights before you see any effect of the insulin?

Sorry if this is a very stupid question but I feel disappointed that everything I do doesn’t seem to get me to normal levels! (Changed to low carb already and on metformin 2000mg a day).

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
That is a long acting insulin so is designed to keep levels steady rather that producing a large drop.

Reactions: SB.25

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a long acting insulin so is designed to keep levels steady rather that producing a large drop.

Thank you. Does this mean that it will take some time for my levels to drop?

I’m fed up with having high levels!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, long-acting will just control background liver output of glucose and you may also have experienced a morning jump due to the overnight liver dump to wake you up. If you are diagnosed as LADA (T1) then a second rapid insulin should be prescribed. This works within 1 to 4 hours'ish and controls BS when you eat. That would be injected before any significant meal. There are tablets that can be prescribed before insulin is prescribed if LADA when in the honeymoon period (when beta cells fade) but going onto insulin early is best. If you have excess weight a T2 diagnosis is more likely in which case a low-carb diet should help with BS. BTW note that a negative islet test (GAD) does not necessarily mean you aren't T1 but a low c-peptide indicates beta cell loss an indicator of T1.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, long-acting will just control background liver output of glucose and you may also have experienced a morning jump due to the overnight liver dump to wake you up. If you are diagnosed as LADA (T1) then a second rapid insulin should be prescribed. This works within 1 to 4 hours'ish and controls BS when you eat. That would be injected before any significant meal. There are tablets that can be prescribed before insulin is prescribed if LADA when in the honeymoon period (when beta cells fade) but going onto insulin early is best. If you have excess weight a T2 diagnosis is more likely in which case a low-carb diet should help with BS. BTW note that a negative islet test (GAD) does not necessarily mean you aren't T1 but a low c-peptide indicates beta cell loss an indicator of T1.
Thank you for the detailed response! It’s really appreciated:)

I do not have any excess weight to lose and in fact I have lost almost a stone in weight since my diagnosis of being diabetic on 1 November 2018. My BMI is currently 21 and I am 26 years old.

The consultant I saw was also not keen on tablets as he felt it would over work my pancreas too much so has just given me the insulin for the time being until I get my tests back and then they can decide a suitable treatment

Reactions: Alison Campbell