Type 2 How long does it take to get blood sugars down?

lt1v14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
once you start on a strict low carb diet, what are people's experiences about how long it takes to get blood sugars down please.
I am aged 56, not overweight, and just got a 66 Hba1C.
thanks

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Not sure as the ususal testing gap is 3 months or more.
I was tested in October 17 my HbA1C was 48, 3 months later (folloing a Low carb diet) it was 44.
Because of the gap I am not sure if they dropped immediately and then stopped or if it was a gradual decline but I am gusesing it was the latter - a gradual decline I intend to get tested again in May - that will give me trend. The importatn thing to me is that they are dropping away from the "diabetic zone".

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When you start to eat low carb that is when your blood glucose levels start to drop.
You might still have rises as your liver releases glucose at intervals but it is dietary carb which drive the whole off balance metabolism, and your are probably still effected by the amounts of insulin being released, so you could see some large dips in BG at intervals as a system reacts before another begins to adjust. I began to get big drops in BG mid afternoon and had to adjust the times I ate to get it steadier.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started with an HbA1c of 70 and after 2 months it was down to 45, then a further two months it was 36. I’ve remained mid 30s ever since. I eat between 50-70g carbs per day.

Reactions: lt1v14

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
once you start on a strict low carb diet, what are people's experiences about how long it takes to get blood sugars down please.
I am aged 56, not overweight, and just got a 66 Hba1C.
thanks

It depends what you mean by "blood sugars". Do you mean the HbA1c test, or do you mean the morning fasting levels, or do you mean the levels post meal?

It takes as long as it takes, to be honest. Everyone is different. We have different medications, eat different amounts of carbs, have different pancreas functions and other things. What none of us can do is compare ourselves with others. We should just self test and record the results, watching for (hopefully) downward trends.

Personally I was down to pre-diabetic levels 5 months after diagnosis, (2 months after starting to use a meter)

Reactions: lt1v14 and ixi1429