How low is your BG going?

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been very low carb for 9 months now after getting diagnosed. Since then I feel better than I have in years, cholesterol is great, I stopped taking a BP medication and have normal hba1c tests. The diet suits me on multiple levels and I have no desire to go back to what I used to eat. I have not been monitoring for about 6 months partly as the last time I did I realised I could eat a lot more than I was so I don't really want to be tempted by establishing my limits if that makes sense.

So I decided to do some testing as I wanted to make sure I was not getting any odd spikes (nope) and I have been surprised. I am mostly getting readings in the 4s and high 3s. The lowest were about 4 hours after eating and I had run for an hour at high intensity earlier. I felt absolutely fine, nothing close to a hypo and I know I could have easily gone out and run for another hour. One of the things I like best about keto is I don't really lose energy. Burning fat rocks!

So, just wondering for those of you doing keto for a while. How low are your BG readings?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I have been doing Keto for nearly four years.
What you are reading is relatively normal blood glucose levels.
They can range from about 3.5 to 6.00 mmols.
The idea of being in ketosis is to keep your blood levels in as close to normal range, to maintain stability, to give your body, the relief from having an imbalance in your hormonal response to food. Namely glucose and insulin!
No high spikes, no imbalance.
Finding your balance of protein, fats and how much carbs you can tolerate is important to being in ketosis.

Best wishes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for that. I guess I was expecting 4s but not 3s! I'm seeing some 6s too but not as much as I used to that is for sure.
You're talking about fine margins here.
Your glucometer is used to give you a snapshot of how your blood sugar levels are at that time and there is so many variables to that. For instance, washing your hands, air temperature, if you have a cold, and so on, never mind what you have ate, plus your glucometer can be out by a few mmols either way. So I wouldn't worry as long as it is reading around normal levels.
That is why a food diary is important, you can record everything you do to get an overall picture of how you are progressing to what you hopefully are trying to achieve.
In the coming months you will see trends and check how your diet is working or not.

Best wishes

Reactions: CL_in_NZ

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the 3s regularly, and have gone into the 2s, but that's usually been when I'm very ready for some food.

Like you I feel absolutely fine in the 3s and it just doesn't concern me at all.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've gone into the 3s when having longer periods of no-food fasting, and after the fast. Apart from feeling psychologically giddy (seeing those BG numbers!) I too felt fine, and great once eating again with low BG numbers, and have wondered if I was supposed to. Good to read that is a keto normal in here.

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
when I'm intermittent fasting and hold for over 20 hours I get 4/4.1, i got to the 3 range when I was fansting for 2/3 days, in my opinon not worth it... but bugs me cause my husband is keto too now, totally healthy though and no underlyning conditions, he doesn't even intermittent fasts... he goes easily in the lower 3mmol and ketones always over 2.5

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I started on ketogenic diet only for one day. Had done LCHF 2 years back. Lost weight and reduced HBA1C too. Due to various reasons I could not continue. My blood sugar increased. Decided do KEtogenic diet.I Don't do all three meals a day. Mostly one or two meals. This morning my blood sugar was 6.5.