michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha... It's really good to know I'm not the only one. I find management of my diabetes has way too many variables that cam affect my levels that I just try to stick to those three things, Meds, Diet and Activity with being sensible and with consistency there has been no need to carb count...

I do agree. I actually find the topic very interesting and intriguing. Almost all type 1s say they count carbs but I mean to what extent, do people actually weigh with a scale or not, how much guessing is involved here and how accurate this carb counting can be. I’m someone who has always liked details and quite analytical. I like numbers. And I wonder for example eating out it’s just not possible to guess how many carbs are in the dish, you can’t see. So to me this is a bit like dose guessing as @Antje77 says

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I do agree. I actually find the topic very interesting and intriguing. Almost all type 1s say they count carbs but I mean to what extent, do people actually weigh with a scale or not, how much guessing is involved here and how accurate this carb counting can be. I’m someone who has always liked details and quite analytical. I like numbers. And I wonder for example eating out it’s just not possible to guess how many carbs are in the dish, you can’t see. So to me this is a bit like dose guessing as @Antje77 says

Absolutely but it's guessing through experience and logic. Not out and out mathematics. There are as stated so many variables that will change readings that no matter how much you weigh, measure or calculate the results can and probably will be different at each meal consumed.

Cold weather, hot weather, anxiety, timing, too much activity, lack of activity, type of food consumed, amount of food consumed, medications, new medications, illness, injury, too little sleep, too much sleep and lets not forget human error... And there will be more if we really look at it!

No matter how exact one can be any of those variables mentioned above will affect readings. A few of them mixed together and the consequences can be adverse.

Again this is from my management only but breakfast for me is anything between 4 - 8 units of insulin, lunch anything between 6 - 12 units and supper will be anything between 12 - 20 units. My Lantus is always 16 units. Sometimes I will inject more insulin if I fancy something of a treat and sometimes I will miss a shot if I'm not hungry at any meal time but my levels are feeling good.

I certainly don't treat my condition's management as a science. As stated before, Diabetes management regardless of type is down to three fundamental things.. Medication (if needed) Diet and Activity. It's just down to each individual to find what works for them regarding each one and their own personal situations which may also have a say in the matter.

I saw a sign in my Diabetes clinic some years back and it said quite simply "know more about your Diabetes than your Dr" I like that. Also my Consultant always seems happy with the way I manage my Diabetes and just tells me to carry on doing it my way..... So I do.