Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
There is a direct link - if you know how many grams of the macronutrients there are in a food then you can calculate the calories from each and also the total calories.
I was surprised at such a large error in the calculation of calories.

@Resurgam , If have 3 x jacket potatoes (exactly the same size) and have
1 plain,
1 with butter and
1 with butter and cheese and 2 slices of bacon
which meal has the most carbs and which has the most calories? Remember that as a T1 I only inject for carbs, calories have no effect on my diabetes management, but will affect my weight.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam , If have 3 x jacket potatoes (exactly the same size) and have
1 plain,
1 with butter and
1 with butter and cheese and 2 slices of bacon
which meal has the most carbs and which has the most calories? Remember that as a T1 I only inject for carbs, calories have no effect on my diabetes management, but will affect my weight.
In your original post you multiplied carbs by 10 to get calories which I don't understand. As @Resurgam says 1g of carbohydrate has 4 Cal's (1g of fat has 9 Cal's).

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have cut down on bread and spuds over the past couple of years but generally eat what I want to and just inject to accommodate.

I have never carb counted in my 37 years being Type 1 so I expect experience has a lot to do with it. My HbA1's are normally always in range so I am quite happy..

I suppose I just can not be bothered with all the mathematics and algebra involved when just wanting to have something carby!.. I still eat pizza, curry and other starchy meals when I fancy, though as said I have consciously cut out a lot of bread and spuds from my diet..

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I thought there was less than 1g until I put it in the app. Got a bit of a surprise. So I've just had a Google. I think 3g is way over estimate. Probably less than 1g!

I agree - I use Carbs and cals app too but some of their figures are a bit odd. For instance a black coffee is 1g carbs according to them!
My pot of Sainsbury’s cream in the fridge says 1.5g carbs per 100ml so I just add that daily total and have as many coffees as that includes.

Back to the op I usually have under 20g I reckon. No white or beige carbs. Above ground veg except for occasional onion or celeriac. Guilty pleasures are almond butter and dark chocolate ( I tend to stick to Callebaut 100% which is very nitter and gives an intense cocoa hit at only 5.5g per 100g)

Reactions: jjraak

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have cut down on bread and spuds over the past couple of years but generally eat what I want to and just inject to accommodate.

I have never carb counted in my 37 years being Type 1 so I expect experience has a lot to do with it. My HbA1's are normally always in range so I am quite happy..

I suppose I just can not be bothered with all the mathematics and algebra involved when just wanting to have something carby!.. I still eat pizza, curry and other starchy meals when I fancy, though as said I have consciously cut out a lot of bread and spuds from my diet..

So is it like you don’t count carbs but you know from experience how much to inject ? I guess? I don’t like to count carbs. I would just find it just too stressful and restricting. It’s interesting to hear there exist other type 1s who don’t count carbs but can remain in a good range.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So is it like you don’t count carbs but you know from experience how much to inject ? I guess? I don’t like to count carbs. I would just find it just too stressful and restricting. It’s interesting to hear there exist other type 1s who don’t count carbs but can remain in a good range.

Yes I will inject as much as I need for what ever it is I am about to eat. Sometimes I will inject 3/4 times (Novorapid) a day and other times it may just be two or three. Experience plays it's part though obviously and I would never suggest to a newbie to do it this way as it could have consequences.

My theory is quite simple though. If I had a healthy pancreas it would just address whatever it was I had eaten. I inject quite simply in the same way.

I have no major complications apart from some neuropathy. My eyes are good, have good kidney function and no issues with ulcers or any foot concerns.

I still watch my food intake though. I don't stuff my face all day with sweet things but if I fancy something like a desert after a pizza with friends I just inject for desert also.

I do not get too involved in the carb counting threads and discussions as I have no experience of doing it that way. Also some if not a lot of people here may not relate to it. It would be interesting though to know if there are other Type 1's that manage their Diabetes the way I do. Sometimes I feel there are so few of us that do it this way.

I have always tried to keep it as simple as possible. Fundamentally there are three things I need to follow to manage my diabetes and to keep it in range and these are -
Take my medication - Eat well but sensibly - Keep active....That's it basically.

For me I think there is too much emphasis put on the carb counting and measurements. If I was new all this would terrify the hell out of me! I want to live with my illness not have it take over my life every time I want a cheese sandwich!!

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69 and Shas3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s interesting to hear there exist other type 1s who don’t count carbs but can remain in a good range.
Í'm another one! I do check packages for carbs and I'm very much aware of what foods are high, moderate or (very) low carb but I have no idea how many carbs are on my plate when I've cooked. I regularly avoid high carb meals because I'm too lazy for the work that goes into dose-guessing and keeping a close eye on my bg for 5 hours afterwards. To me, the work is not worth it for boring stuff like potatoes or rice. It is for the occasional Chinese take-away or a night of beer, though, because I like those things a lot :)
Dose-guessing works quite well for me, most of the time.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me I think there is too much emphasis put on the carb counting and measurements. If I was new all this would terrify the hell out of me! I want to live with my illness not have it take over my life every time I want a cheese sandwich!!

Although I am not T1, this is a strategy that I have pretty much adopted. I check what goes in to my diet and approximate / guesstimate the totals of a meal. Totals for the day are an educated guesstimate. I wouldn’t call it laziness, more the best allocation of my time.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I will inject as much as I need for what ever it is I am about to eat. Sometimes I will inject 3/4 times (Novorapid) a day and other times it may just be two or three. Experience plays it's part though obviously and I would never suggest to a newbie to do it this way as it could have consequences.

My theory is quite simple though. If I had a healthy pancreas it would just address whatever it was I had eaten. I inject quite simply in the same way.

I have no major complications apart from some neuropathy. My eyes are good, have good kidney function and no issues with ulcers or any foot concerns.

I still watch my food intake though. I don't stuff my face all day with sweet things but if I fancy something like a desert after a pizza with friends I just inject for desert also.

I do not get too involved in the carb counting threads and discussions as I have no experience of doing it that way. Also some if not a lot of people here may not relate to it. It would be interesting though to know if there are other Type 1's that manage their Diabetes the way I do. Sometimes I feel there are so few of us that do it this way.

I have always tried to keep it as simple as possible. Fundamentally there are three things I need to follow to manage my diabetes and to keep it in range and these are -
Take my medication - Eat well but sensibly - Keep active....That's it basically.

Thank you for taking your time to write back. I like your approach and the three things you follow is exactly what I do too :)

Reactions: porl69 and Shas3

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Í'm another one! I do check packages for carbs and I'm very much aware of what foods are high, moderate or (very) low carb but I have no idea how many carbs are on my plate when I've cooked. I regularly avoid high carb meals because I'm too lazy for the work that goes into dose-guessing and keeping a close eye on my bg for 5 hours afterwards. To me, the work is not worth it for boring stuff like potatoes or rice. It is for the occasional Chinese take-away or a night of beer, though, because I like those things a lot :)
Dose-guessing works quite well for me, most of the time.

You put it well. I’m too too lazy for counting carbs and finding low carbing the easier way for me... I used to love rice and potatoes but now don’t feel like eating if it means injecting. But your post made me think a bit about trying for a pint of beer :-D

Reactions: porl69

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You put it well. I’m too too lazy for counting carbs and finding low carbing the easier way for me... I used to love rice and potatoes but now don’t feel like eating if it means injecting. But your post made me think a bit about trying for a pint of beer :-D
Cheers! (If you decide to try to learn to tackle it :) )

Personally, I don't mind the injecting, it's the thinking, checking, thinking again, correcting with extra carbs or insulin, thinking, checking thing I'm too lazy to do :p

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take my medication - Eat well but sensibly - Keep active....That's it basically.!!

I am new and the whole carb counting is terrifying me for sure. Your three things is exactly how I wish to live and manage. The idea that somehow my life will be taken over by this condition is extremely distressing. Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am new and the whole carb counting is terrifying me for sure. Your three things is exactly how I wish to live and manage. The idea that somehow my life will be taken over by this condition is extremely distressing. Thanks
For me diabetes has been liberating - when I was being pushed to eat carbs I would protest that carbs caused me to gain weight - and was told that was a stupid idea in no uncertain terms.
Now that I am diabetic I've let diabetes rules take over.
No more cereals no more brown this or wholemeal that - no more potatoes.
Twice a day I make myself a meal which I know is not going to overwhelm my metabolism with glucose. I really enjoy all that I eat - Today's dinner was lamb with mushrooms and sweet pepper, with cherries and cream. I then had coffee with cream.
My waist has shrunk so that I now wear size M rather than XXL, I have energy for whatever I want to do, it is great - the old 'normal' was just too much effort.

Reactions: Shas3

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for taking your time to write back. I like your approach and the three things you follow is exactly what I do too :)

Ha... It's really good to know I'm not the only one. I find management of my diabetes has way too many variables that cam affect my levels that I just try to stick to those three things, Meds, Diet and Activity with being sensible and with consistency there has been no need to carb count...

Reactions: michita and Shas3

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Please don't feel like that Shaz. Yes our illness is a chronic one but if you respect it and learn as you go and by your own body there is nothing you can't do that any non diabetic can.. I would rather have Type 1 than a lot of other conditions out there..

I live today and to be honest rarely ever think about my condition. Those three things are the three main things that will decipher how we manage over the years. Watch what you eat, keep active and exercise regularly and take your medication... Small price to pay for a long ordinary life . Keep it simple but be consistent.

There are plenty of people on this forum that will help you so don't worry. PM anyone if you think they can help and that includes me also..

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't feel like that Shaz. Yes our illness is a chronic one but if you respect it and learn as you go and by your own body there is nothing you can't do that any non diabetic can.. I would rather have Type 1 than a lot of other conditions out there..

I live today and to be honest rarely ever think about my condition. Those three things are the three main things that will decipher how we manage over the years. Watch what you eat, keep active and exercise regularly and take your medication... Small price to pay for a long ordinary life . Keep it simple but be consistent.

There are plenty of people on this forum that will help you so don't worry. PM anyone if you think they can help and that includes me also..

Thanks a lot for that Kevin!! I truly appreciate that positive upbeat message. Wise words. Thanks. I agree there is no point worrying. Your 3 point plan is my plan now!!!! Thanks

Reactions: porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I use Diabetes:M which calculates the amount of insulin for me, if I input the current BGL and the carbs to be munched. You do have to set it up with your ratios, and because I'm a control freak I have five different ratios through the day. (Read Using Insulin by John Walsh & Others) - very dry, but hugely informative.

I do watch my carbs - no more than one carby foodstuff at a meal ie. if there are carbs in the main course then I'll have a huge helping of above ground veg or salad and no rice or pasta with it. Desserts tend to be sorbets made with fresh fruit or go without if I'm stuffed.

I guess I eat about 125-150g a day which keeps my weight stable, my bloods very happy and satisfies my appetite.