Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No onions with the meat, no tomatoes, no mustard, no gravy, no low carb fruits with yoghurt, no square of chocolate?

No to fruit, yoghurt, gravy (just tip meat juices over roast meat or add butter to steak), no tomatoes (too sweet), no mustard (hate it). Occasional onions as I love them, but small quantities, yes sometimes chocolate but 90% cocoa +. And yes, sometimes I bake low carb cakes, but with portions that work out at 2-4g a slice.

So unless all the ‘ocassionals’ all fall on the same day, it’s really not complicated to average around 10g carbs - as an average then there are days above that (but very rare to be more than 20g) and not at all rare to be 5g. Suits me down to the ground as I’ve never been one for multi ingredient food or fussy sauces.

Reactions: lindijanice

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat between 30g - 50g per day, very low carb at breakfast, a little more at lunch and still more at dinner as I tolerate the carbs better later in the day.

Reactions: Emma_369

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat as much carbs as I fancy and take my insulin.
I guess that's the difference between type 1 and type 2.
Some people with type 1 limit their carbs, but I do not find it necessary.
For example, yesterday, I ate two Aero bars and a bowl of pasta (and more) and my BG remained between 4 and 8. But I confess not every day is as smooth.

Of course, I still do not have a diagnosis of T1 or T2, but I am on basal and bolus insulin.

But like Helen, I eat what I want now (within reason). I still try to be cautious of the amount of carbs so that I take less insulin, but if I fancy something naughty, I'm gonna go for it :)

Reactions: Mollyc1995

Tom.thomas61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I average around 250g of carbs per day, which looking at other peoples, sounds a lot. But my sugars are good with a great HBA1C. I am also on a pump.
I have similar amount of carbs, being type one I haven't restricted my carbs I just try to work harder in the gym.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably around 100g a day. More if I'm walking a lot. Less if I'm sitting around. Much more than 100g on an average day tends to have my blood sugars bouncing all over the place in a most unnecessary fashion.

I did like being very low carb in my misdiagnosed T2 days, but have settled for a middle ground in it all in these days of LADA and insulin.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It struck me that just like the quantity of anaesthetic being administered based on the size of the individual I just wondered if the same applies to carb intake. As a rule of thumb would a smaller person require less carbs than a bigger person to go keto (amongst other variables of course) ?

Reactions: Speedbird

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We tend to eat between 20-30g a day, sometimes at the lower end and occasionally at the higher end. I'm not diabetic but my husband is Type 2. No potatoes, bread, grains, pulses, pasta, etc. Plenty non starchy and mostly above ground veg (some swede, celeriac, onion and the odd carrot), some berries, nuts, seeds, meat, fish, full-fat dairy (cheese and yoghurt), healthy non-seed oils and animal fats. Oh, and not forgetting high percentage choc.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I average 220g cho per day. A quick and very dirty calc is multiply carbs by 10 to get calories so 220g cho is roughly 2200 cals, which fitbit says I wear off. That's a total of 22 units of fast acting insulin per day. I dont usually alter my basal, and I know I cant take more than 15iu bolus in one go so don't eat more than 150g cho in one meal

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I no longer count anything. I used to at the beginning. Started at about 100g then reduced bit by bit until it was about 30g. I eat more than that now, but as my weight has stayed stable, my BGs are normal and all my other markers are normal (don't know what my insulin levels are) I no longer see the need to count. I don't eat any sweet stuff, including chocolate, I don't eat nuts, pasta or rice, but I do eat small amounts of potatoes and peas.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really surprised to hear that you eat 50-60g a day. Your menus sound like they're nearer the 30-40g mark.
I round up slightly with all workings out to make sure I don’t go over so may well be slightly under but allow myself that much. I haven’t weighed things out exactly for a while now. But roughly My protein bar each day is 10g, 6g for my 2 squares chocolate that I end up with most days - I still have milk in my hot drinks as can’t take to cream and drink on average 4 hot drinks a day. I don’t measure my milk but from previous years of slimming world on average a ‘splash’ of milk for me is about 30-40ml. Based on it being 40 x 4 cups is another 7-8g carb. So I write off 25g each day for the above. Leaving me 25-30g for my lunch/dinner. On days I dont have lunch or just eat meat for it I’m definitely not over 50. But I do use a lot of tomatoes & peppers in my cooking and salads always include cucumber and some onion and they all add up.
Some days I may well be 30-40g, but as a maximum I won’t go over the 50-60g mark. I feel that gives me a bit more movement than keto but is still low enough carb for my BG to be happy :)

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and have 150 to 200 carbs per day all from veggies and some fruit.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also type 1 and carbs are pretty much all from veggies, no fruits but I sometimes eat blueberries. Guessing less than 50g a day but I’m meaning to weigh and count to find out :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Anything from 150 - 200 per day. As long as I carb count correctly and get my insulin correct and avoid spikes all is good. I would starve to death if I only ate 20g a day lol

Reactions: ROSIETIA

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
20-40g per day. More often 20 but sometimes im probobly closer to 40. Never above that tho.