How Many Carbs do You Limit Yourself to Per Day?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
It would help me enormously to know how many grams per day people are limiting themselves to.

I see figures of less than 20, less than 50 and less than 100 grams per day banded about but wonder which are the most representative?
@Listlad as a prediabetic
It would help me enormously to know how many grams per day people are limiting themselves to.

I see figures of less than 20, less than 50 and less than 100 grams per day banded about but wonder which are the most representative?
@ listlad As a Prediabetic you should still be able to cope with some carbs. Everyone is different. you will have to experiment to find what is right for you.

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

I would also add that many “zero” carbers choose that approach because it’s easier in terms of [not] counting and in removing temptation. Also because they wish to avoid grains irrespective of the glucose load. Some people cite imporved gastrointestinal health but others believe there are also cognitive benefits to a grain-free existence. In short, not everyone chooses extreme carb restrictions based purely with blood glucose in mind. Lots of non-diabetics live zero-carb/keto for all kinds of reasons that suit them.

As always we are all encouraged to make our own choices.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also add that many “zero” carbers choose that approach because it’s easier in terms of [not] counting and in removing temptation. Also because they wish to avoid grains irrespective of the glucose load. Some people cite imporved gastrointestinal health but others believe there are also cognitive benefits to a grain-free existence. In short, not everyone chooses extreme carb restrictions based purely with blood glucose in mind. Lots of non-diabetics live zero-carb/keto for all kinds of reasons that suit them.

As always we are all encouraged to make our own choices.
Actually I appreciate that counting is actually a pain in the butt and so a method by which no counting is involved is not a bad idea.

Reactions: kitedoc

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I appreciate that counting is actually a pain in the butt and so a method by which no counting is involved is not a bad idea.
In time you get to know what works for you and what doesn’t. And I think most of us eat the same types of foods most of the time, just arranged/cooked differently. This is why I don’t count anymore. I do however check the labels on anything I don’t buy regularly or look it up

Reactions: Prem51 and kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yeah for sure. Honestly I only really eat the green veg because I like it. Very often I’ll have cauliflower in place of broccoli so I’d guess on average I’m at 10g.
Have to get vitamin C from somewhere !!

Reactions: Pasha

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Except if you are Type 1, where carb counting informs us about how much insulin to take !!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't think about it as such. No to bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cakes et al, so meat, dairy, veg and loads of fish seems to work for me.
how do you maintain weight?
if I cut out carb heavy food just lose weight.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Once you know a few food counts it becomes automatic.

Reactions: Listlad

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Super low for me too, all green veg. Sprouts, leeks, spinach, etc. I am gradually increasing my protein and fat. Now finding OMAD very effective.

I want to say 10, but I do have a soft spot for Greek yog and peanuts so probably under 20/day as a being really honest. I have been dipping my toe in pure meat, yesterday was just donner meat (yeah I know) for my evening meal, that day could well have been a proper zero.

For me its the carbs effect, not bg now as much. Anything carby, even a handful of blueberries as breakfast hits me like most people get affected by alcohol. Slow witted and sleepy. The less I eat the better I feel. Simple.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
how do you maintain weight?
if I cut out carb heavy food just lose weight.
It is a balance... a "carbie" week will result in a slight increase and lo carb will give a drop... but it's between 71kg + or - 1 kg for the last 4 years... fingers crossed it stays so....
:)

M

Member496333

Any other carb-killers find they get little or no gas? I can’t recall the last time a blew a raspberry :pompous:

D

Deleted member 308541

I have not had a count up for a long time, as a guesstimate I reckon I would be close to 150 grams a day.

My bgl and hba1c are doing well, and my weight is steady at around 95 Kgs. bmi is good at 25.2

obB4VJc.jpg

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally try to aim for 20g just because I'm of the belief that the lower, the better, because my body can't process carbohydrates properly. That 20g usually goes towards veg, a few berries, and often a cheeky Cadbury's Highlights hot chocolate in the evening - still need a treat now and then.

It's really down to how your body responds to carbohydrates - If you're eating a meal containing 30g carbs and it gives you a big spike, avoid it. If it doesn't spike you, go for it. Different people have different limits. I know that realistically, 25g of carbs in one sitting is just about as much as I can manage without a big spike. I could probably manage about 50-75g carbs a day if I spread it out properly, but I'd rather make things as easy as possible on my poor pancreas, so I keep it low. :)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs are 20g max from kefir, Greek yoghurt, flaxseeds, above ground veggies and a really tiny amount of berries - and cream in my coffee.

I don't need insulin if I keep to 20g.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any other carb-killers find they get little or no gas? I can’t recall the last time a blew a raspberry :pompous:
Huge almost instantaneously improvement much appreciated by my hubs. I used to put my teenage boys to shame. :oops: I always said I couldn’t help it and now I can blame a medical condition for past sins

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Usually between 5g and 10g mostly from cream in coffee and lactofree milk in tea. The only exceptions are a couple of bags of macadamia nuts and some 90% choc.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly I've found that liver makes me trump like a good 'un whereas just muscle meat far less.. no idea why..