Type 2 How many carbs per meal?

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Hi Friends
I am trying to maintain a low carb diet of about 90 carbs per day. What would be the recommended amount of carbs per meal? I try to have carbless snacks.....
Thanks for your suggestions
Miriam

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you having 3 meals a day?

It really depends on the foods you like to be honest..

I have a small amount of berries in a small ramekin with cream or greek yogurt with chia seeds and ground flax seed in morning.. About 15g carb.

Lunch is generally a full sweet red pepper with philadelphia cheese at the moment for me. I bolus for about 4 carbs with this.

Tea is what ever I fancy- cod fishcake, courgette lasagne or salmon or crustless quiche.. So carbs vary... All with 3 or 4 veg.

I don't snack between meals. Then I have brie cheese with quince jelly and walnuts as a pudding..

My diet is a max of 90g but can be as little as 50g. Just depending upon my tea really. Sometimes I will have a homemade blueberry muffin as well for lunch. Weekends we have a max of 2 glasses red wine, which I don't count as anything-but deserved!!-lol.

My coffee has cream in it. If I am busy all day and under 50g carb I add in a complan with almond milk- but this is solely because busy generally means physically working between 6-10hours.

Today I have painted all day and moving furniture etc from 9am and just sat down. So thats what I count as busy, even on days relaxing.

It really depends on the foods you like and how many meals a day.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You could always get a blood glucose meter and see what different amounts of carbs in a meal does to your blood glucose levels. Just remember that carbs for breakfast will increase your blood glucose more than the same amount of carbs later in the day. However, if you are aiming for 90 g a day, maybe just split it up among your meals and snacks, but keep the amount at breakfast very low.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its funny you say that about low carbs for breakfast.. As a type 1 though my highest ratio to cope with carbs is evenings.. Breakfast is the lowest ratio for me-may well be because I always work physically in the mornings..

You must find out what works well for you and your meter..

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Thanks for that, I shouldn't assume everyone follows that same pattern. I have read somewhere that most people are more insulin resistant at breakfast, but obviously not necessarily true for everyone. Maybe it's different for type 1?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think we are all different depending upon activity, size -literally everything, let alone whether we are T1 or T2. Just got to find the best for us all according to our meters and food likes/dislikes...