How many carbs to get down from 110 Hba1c

Laconic

In trying to get my Hba1c down from 110 to be controlled by diet alone just wondering those who have come down from such a number how many carbs daily, I think I’m doing around 30 at the moment.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you measuring BG levels ?
If so what are you seeing numbers wise..
30g per day would probably be great but when you say "you think" does that mean you aren't really recording as the pesky things can slip in all over the place...maybe try a detailed food diary for a couple of weeks to really be sure.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with BB that it all depends on how your body handles the carbs that you put into it.

I have had to go extremely low carb (less than 20g a day) to reduce my bg from just hitting diabetic levels, down to below pre-diabetic levels.
Other people who post here have reduced their HbA1c from over 100 down to pre-D levels by just dropping to 130g carbs a day.

But then, it all depends on where you started, too. I mean, I had been low carbing for years, the people with higher numbers and quicker drops may have been chomping on significant carb intake for decades...

M

Member496333

Working on the assumption of type 2. the simplest answer I could offer is as few as possible. The long answer is as few as you're happy with and able to maintain longterm.

Reactions: HSSS

Laconic

I suppose 30 is an estimate, a cup of coffee in the cafe with practically full milk may be 20 of those carbs.
But everything else is low bacon eggs sausages chicken cauliflower Broccoli.
I’m from a trades background, with a culture of red bull beer high sugar background.
Trying to to count everything I consume is tricky and being sociable at the same time.
I’m going to have a tea in the cafe from now on as it contains more water and less milk.
My BG levels have been ok 5.0 mmol fasting level and 5.5 two hours after meals.
I’m just counting down the days till I get my hb1ac checked again to see what progress I’ve made.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to to count everything I consume is tricky and being sociable at the same time.

Not trying to be nasty but for 2 weeks out of your life to possibly save your health?
Might that not be worth being slightly antisocial for...

If you are seeing those levels consistently then I can tell you your HbA1c should be substantially lower and your HCP's perplexed (unless they are extremely enlightened).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose 30 is an estimate, a cup of coffee in the cafe with practically full milk may be 20 of those carbs.
But everything else is low bacon eggs sausages chicken cauliflower Broccoli.
I’m from a trades background, with a culture of red bull beer high sugar background.
I’m going to have a tea in the cafe from now on as it contains more water and less milk.
I’m just counting down the days till I get my hb1ac checked again to see what progress I’ve made.
I think your next HbA1c will have the doc or nurse with their jaw on the floor.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from 91 to 47 in 80 days with a maximum of 50 gm of carbs per day but I was eating veges and taking coffee with cream - they have a lower impact on my BG level than anything sugary or a grain.

Reactions: Evie-D