How many carbs

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many carbs are classed as a.low carb diet.
I have googled it and it states 50-100 is classed as.low which to me seems high. It also states keto is below 50.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's about right (this site defines low carb as under 130). What makes you think that is high? Obviously some go lower but the main thing is for you to determine how many carbs per day you are happy with and can balance with your target glucose levels.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have googled it and it states 50-100 is classed as.low which to me seems high. It also states keto is below 50.
Loads of discussion about what is low, where it starts and whatnot... As for keto, ketosis is guaranteed at 20 grams of carbs a day or less, but some people go into ketosis at 30 grams or even 40. So basically, if you want to know what's good for you specifically, get yourself a blood glucose meter, and check your meals. Start somewhat moderately at maybe 100 grams a day, or 80 if that makes you more comfortable. Dial down if you need to. (Check before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. the general aim is a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l).

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with @KK123 here above, and wish to add for clarity. Keto is dependent on if/not you have ketones enough in your system, to be able to use it as fuel instead of glucose. This is usually achieved with a carb-amount below 50g, but some have to go down to 20g carbs a day, to achieve ketosis,
Taken from
https://keto-mojo.com/article/how-to-know-if-im-in-ketosis/

"You're in ketosis once your ketone levels are at or above 0.5 mmol/L. Once your body converts to using ketones for fuel, your ketone levels may go down some from the initial rise. This doesn't mean you aren't in ketosis. As long as your ketones are registering 0.5 mmol/L or higher, you're in ketosis!"

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I average between 100 - 130g carbs per day which is still classed as low carb albeit top of the range.

Reactions: jjraak

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi malcs90, Why do you ask the question? Are you under the misconception that there is some magic number that will give good Blood Glucose control or remission to every Type 2 Diabetics?

There is no such amount of Carbohydrates that works well for everybody. We all metabolise carbs differently, our genetics are different, our gut biomes are different, some of us can eat certain fruit, some can eat certain starches such as potatoes or grains without spiking our Blood Glucose levels. But many of us can eat very little of any type of carbohydrate.

My advice is to get yourself a Blood Glucose meter with cheap test strips such as a SD CodeFree or a Spirit TEE2. Then test before your meal and then 2hrs after first bite, in order to find out which foods you can eat and which ones you need to avoid.

Think of this as a transition to a new 'Way Of Eating' (not a diet) since it doesn't mean a Calorie restriction, plus it needs to be sustainable for the rest of your life.

I say that it doesn't mean a Calorie restriction because when you restrict calories you are effectively partially starving yourself. As a result your body goes into 'starvation mode' and your metabolic rate tends to reduce. This means you then need still fewer calories to maintain your current weight, and even less in order to reduce your weight further. Such diets tend to make people regain even more weight than is lost. In fact it is almost impossible to lose weight when your Insulin is high (which is caused by eating carbs) because Insulin inhibits the body from burning its excess body fat and to shunt excess Blood Glucose into fat cells - thus adding to body weight.

Reactions: Rustytypin

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all who replied. I am in remission and weigh myself regularly and am still losing weight. Perhaps I an getting somewhat fanatical but dont want to undo any good I have been doing. When I first started I tried to keep below 50 grams but have allowed.myself to go somewhat higher over Christmas and while on holiday so decided to google what I should be eating.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all who replied. I am in remission and weigh myself regularly and am still losing weight. Perhaps I an getting somewhat fanatical but dont want to undo any good I have been doing. When I first started I tried to keep below 50 grams but have allowed.myself to go somewhat higher over Christmas and while on holiday so decided to google what I should be eating.
Best bet is to ask your meter. As to losing weight you don’t want to, increase fats and proteins which won’t affect your bgl the way carbs will.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you've eaten a low enough carb/ketogenic diet for long enough you should become a fat adapted "dual fuel" burning machine and your body will likely go in and out of ketosis depending on the proportions of carbs and fats you've eaten and how much fuel you actually need at the time for energy. This is a normal state, and a few short term dietary indiscretions are not necessarily automatically going to - as the saying goes - "kick you out of ketosis". You'ii burn off the extra carbs then go back to burning fats as well.