How many eggs can you eat?

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
No, chuckle.. I can have some understanding of your thoughts. I can empathise with you as I have same feelings ish when I saw weight going on from porridge n toast!! I put it to carbs rather than insulin.

Is it just breakfast or other meals you struggle with carbs with? Do you bolus for any meals?

Sorry.. I feel like your mother or an interfering Aunty!!

I care because I know I have seen the food and menu's that are given to anybody that goes in to eating disorder units and from the tortuous times my young friend has had. Also because I empathise with you as I know what its like to be told you should eat this or that... So I hope you don't feel that I am nagging you.
I bolus for every meal but for lunch and dinner I've always had a piece of protein and vegetables because my family and I don't particular like pasta or rice. I used to maybe have sweet potato or couscous on the plate but that's never a thing anymore, I can't cope. But it is breakfast in particular I massively panic with. Don't worry I don't feel like I'm nagging it's been nice to try explain my situation to someone!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you are eating lower carb and getting a balance of veg, meat and nutients and calories... You don't do anything different to me!!! Lol!!
However, in all honesty.. Are you losing weight or underweight.
As a gardener I have to ensure I eat enough calories to keep weight on...
I know from my young friend in the eating disorder unit that she was causing concerns with the rest of her bloods. Her pancreas was making her hypo all the time and so often her arty writing and texting was like reading a drunk. That was from just eating cucumbers though!! So she was severe.

Do you have your total blood counts checked as well as your hba1c? Are you at risk of hypos and unrecognised hypos from keeping your levels low?

Like you couscous and sweet potatoes are also off my glfood list but mines from my stomach not tolerating them.

A few questions to snswer above... I've lived 30 years as a T1 like this and 50 years+ in total like this. The most important thing that I have done though is to make sure I eat enough calories to keep healthy. I also take a multi vitamin and a few more just to make sure I get enough vitamins too.

I am so glad that you feel confident enough to talk as I can sometimes come over as a lecturer!! Or a nag.

My young friend is out of the eating disorder unit now snd has just done a theatrical performance to Kate Winslett and doing fairly well at the moment. I hope that you have positives around you as well as the concerns you have with carbs....

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat too many eggs, nothing to do with diabetes, just that they have always upset my tummy if I have too many. Weirdly though are fine if cooked as part of a recipe rather than on their own (I don't get it).

If you are looking for more variety for breakfast there are other things you can try which are still low carb. Yogurt and berries, cheese and cooked meats, avocado and some nuts/seeds.

I think I need to get my head round ignoring what I think of as breakfast foods and go for healthy for diabetes options. It doesn't matter one bit if I were to have leftovers for breakfast, I just need to stop myself thinking this is not breakfast food, it is food!

Good luck with your appointment, hope you find the help you need and start to enjoy breakfast again

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Good advice from SueB743 too.

Hope you are okay.

Tra-c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I typically have a breakfast that contains at least three eggs. The most I've eaten in one sitting is six. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the body has a reaction to protein that requires you to dose insulin for it. Typically this requires a dose of 50% of your normal insulin carb ratio for the weight of protein, and then you are likely to need to do additional boluses a couple of hours later and then a couple of hours after that due to the way the body processes protein to create glucose.

I'm not aware of any reason why you can't or shouldn't eat eggs as a T1 and as a T1 I can and do.

I had no idea that protein meant you needed insulin. It has baffled me for ages as to why my blood sugar goes up after eating eggs.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll usually have either two boiled eggs for breakfast or a pile of fried mushrooms and a couple of fried eggs. Sometimes I'll share half a frittata with my husband for lunch on Saturday with salad so that's another three eggs.

There's no dietary requirement for carbs, whatsoever so I only eat them if they're in something else eg veg and dairy (natural sugars). The NHS is hung up on the low fat thing from 40 years ago and if you look online there's lots of proper research discrediting low fat-hig carb ways of eating.

As a doctor on a TED talk put it, diabetes is carbohydrate toxicity. So for many people (doctors in US included) it seems crazy to tell people to eat the thing that their body can't handle. No-one would tell someone with peanut toxicity to eat peanuts. T1 and T2 are very different but fewer carbs = less need for insulin/less insulin made by body. Less insulin stops the body holding onto fat.