Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Michael52 Welcome to the forum. I read today that anywhere between 7-8 hours appears to be the norm, however what is right for you as an individual is down to you, some people cope fine on 6 hours, personally I need 7.5-8 hours. I also tend to find that depending on what my blood glucose levels are during the night that I get much better sleep if I am around 4.5-9mmol/l.

Reactions: Michael52

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im a funny one with sleep. During the week im Normally in bed for 11.30 and up at 6am totally shattered, but I pull myself together.

At the weekend it's bed for 11.30ish but I could stay there until 10am easilly. I get up about 9am totally shattered and it takes me a while to pull myself together. Possibly too much sleep.

While I worked nightshift I was lucky if I got 5 hours broken sleep.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sleep is a completely personal or idiopathic need. I have looked into this many, many times over the years because I have suffered sleep disturbance since my twenties. At sixty five I would guess that your need for sleep is slowly diminishing but we are all so different that what is great for one person is unmanageable for another. I am afraid it is a case of trial and error. All the old adages apply, avoid caffeine later in the day, no tech/devices such as TV, radio etc in the bedroom.
Michael Mosley made a BBC programme on sleep not so long ago, perhaps you could do a search on iplayer or youtube for it. For me sleeping in a cool bedroom helps especially after a hot shower. I read a little and try not to think of problems while trying to get to sleep. Eight or nine hours is enough for me if it is unbroken.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same amount of sleep last night as I did the night before. My morning sugar levels are the same as yesterday, but I feel a bit off today. Yesterday I felt spot on.

I did a bit more exercise during the day yesterday. Maybe it's that what's made me feel like i do.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do think you need less sleep as you get older, who didn't sleep for 10-12 hours in their teens :)

If I get 7 hours of good sleep I'm fine, but when my kids were little and both my wife and I were working I'd get by on 5 hours a day, it's the quality of sleep rather than the quantity that really matters.