How many of us are following the low-carb diet?

jane.owen37

Just thought I'd update you on my progress! I went to buy a monitor but didn't know which 1 to buy so I made an appt with my DN. She told me that it would be up to the Diabetes GP to agree to putting strips & lancets on a repeat presciption but she gave me a monitor & made an appt for me (had to wait a couple of weeks because he was on leave). I explained to him that I wanted to take the bull by the horns & sort out my weight & get myself off meds & he agreed to giving me a repeat prescription & suggested I make an appt to see the dietician again. I have decided that I will do my own control study before seeing her. I am starting to do a food diary this week & testing my BG on how I've been eating on the dietician's diet & then I will do the low-carb diet. If I have the evidence on paper she can't really argue!
On another note, the same day I saw the GP I saw my optician (who gained his qualifications in South Africa) for my regular eyesight test & he was astounded that I was advised to eat so many carbs - he picked up an NHS leaflet that was in his room & couldn't believe it said that 50% of daily meals should be carbs! He also couldn't get over the fact the the dietician had told me I was eating too much fruit & said he had thought a few times about writing a book on diabetes & based on what I was telling him he said he was going to do it so people with diabetes could get the correct information!
I will post again when I have done my own experiment to let you know how I get on.
Jannie x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jannie ?

Well done you for sticking to your guns and going in with all guns blazing. Getting your reasons and facts right first showed them you mean business. :twisted:
I just wish more people would do the same instead of meekly accepting what the Nurse/GP say. You don't have to get angry. Calm, considered reason can work wonders.
You might find your Dietician may not be a soft touch, depends which Uni she was trained at ? Good luck for the next showdown. :D

Ken

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
I have been low carbing the last 6 weeks, and Im doing good, was a struggle at first but stuck to around 50-60G a day and steadily losing weight. The last week though Ive been eating about 100ish and not put weight on, but not really losing, so next week Im going back down to 50-60 a day as I have a shed load of weight to lose and want to do it sooner rather than later.

Low carb is great as its helping me see some real weight loss and really helping with my Blood Sugars...........so I would recomend it to anyone :D

Shortbread x

sixfoot

Shortbread ............Take your time, whats the hurry??? You still have to save up for the new wardrobe yet !! ( there is always a downside ) :D

Dave P

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
Hi Dave,

There is plenty of time, but I have promised myself I will be thinner by the summer , plus if I don't see it happening then the willpower will soon disappear lol :

Shortbread x

Spike

Gettin lower by the day, and so are the insulin doses, and the blood sugars, and the number of hypos, and the hunger, and my respect for my health team who have told me not to do it.

Spike

Trinkwasser

Spike said:
Gettin lower by the day, and so are the insulin doses, and the blood sugars, and the number of hypos, and the hunger, and my respect for my health team who have told me not to do it.

Spike

Ditto for my lipids and blood pressure

. . .disappointing innit?

hazelfry3

Hi,
I am on low carb as well. 20-24 carb per day. Seems to be working very well readings mostly in the 5's now instead of 7's and 8's.
:D Hba1c 6.4
BMI 23.11
Diet only.