How many of us are using insulin?

ClaireG 06

Just being nosey really :lol: I was wondering how many of us are using insulin. I've started this week and am using humulin m3. I couldn't tolerate metformin and gliclazide wasn't helping much.

Also, do any of you wonder if you actually maybe another type rather than a type 2? I have rhumatoid arthritis and asthma and actually lost weight before being diagnosed and have lost more since but have a long way to go! the more i read etc the more i think i may actually have LADA.

C

catherinecherub

Hi claire,

Not an insulin user myself. There is a growing school of thought amongst researchers and endocrinologists that Type 2 may actually be an autoimmune disease. This research has been going on for a few years now. Have seen papers since 2005.

A list of autoimmune diseases here which some of which Type 2's have.
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/au ... cklist.htm

I hope they sort out your classification soon.

CC.

ClaireG 06

Thanks for that Catherine :D
Have quite a few of those symptoms. Have been tested for lupus in the past. Having lots of investigations done at the moment mainly BP related.

owain

I use novo 30,yet i see most type 2s on a compleatly different type with novo 30 never mentioned,any thoughts.thanks Owain

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi,think I have mentioned this in a post somewhere else, have been told if my BS fails to move down much despite low dose of insulin/victoza they want to test me for LADA. As am tiny in frame n eat very little yet my BS remains high. Anna.x :?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I have noticed there are more and more members here that have found they are actually LADA and not type 2, maybe from doctors assuming it must be type 2 because they are older than the typical age. I think it should be common practice for all newly diagnosed to properly investigate type of diabetes!

ebony321

Dislikes
ah good, no harm in looking into it!

How's the insulin going so far?

ClaireG 06

So far so good thanks :D \my levels have been fairly stable although still higher than i'd like but at least i havn't had any really high ones.

ebony321

Dislikes
ClaireG 06 said:
So far so good thanks :D \my levels have been fairly stable although still higher than i'd like but at least i havn't had any really high ones.

Awwe, good to hear :)

has your sickness gone now?

It's good to take it steady and bring them down nice and slow, cutting out the high swings then gently bringing them down so sounds like your doing great!

Good to your your DN is keeping in touch too :)

ClaireG 06

Yes, not being sick anymore although still bad headaches etc. Seen a Dr today and he has put me back on the BP med that the hospital thought was making me sick so we shall see.

ebony321

Dislikes
Ahh, hope it wasn't the meds then, glad to hear it's getting better for you anyway :)

raffajaffa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gooseberries fish, medium to hot spices, strong alcohol as it does not agree with my liver
Hi
Ive been on Lantus for 4 months now after 12 years on almost every tablet invented for Db.
Started on the usual 10 units and now up to 38.
My control has been awful for many years, With over 10. HBa for a couple of years.
Must admit Im getting lower readings from 6.1 (once) to over 10 on a bad day.
I monitor daily and compare against my pretty strict diet and have kept a diary for years.Im 65 and pretty careful
on all health matters and their is no correlation for me between food and readings..
So Im due for another full test any day now but Ive been tested for so many things in the last 4 months I have
learnt to accept that the numbers mean very little as far as my health goes.
Not that Im saying they are not important.
I firmly believe Ive been better off on once a day insulin but maybe the short acting shot will be added
to my regime soon.This doesnt bother me and may solve the energy dips.Most days.
After all those years on tablets ,my system cannot tolerate them anymore and Im down to taking just one a day
Metformin but its making very little or no difference whether I miss it or take 2.
I must admit though IF I forget to take the stuff ON TIME I do now start to feel as though something is wrong
early on in the morning.
Only thing that makes me feel good is sunlight.

Dottybagpuss

Hi all

I have been on insulin for just over a week now, and still on the meds metphormin and gliclazide. So bit early for me to say how things are going I guess. Readings still high and erratic, but sdn is phoning me on Wed to decide on either upping the dose or adding in some quick acting stuff.

What I really wanted to ask, if I'm not being too much of a numpty asking it, is what does LAPD stand for, as mentioned in the early posts on this thread?? Now I am wondering if I have even got the letters right, cos I know it stands for Los Angeles Police Dept!!! But I dont know how to go back and check without losing what I have already written!! My memory is AWFUL!

I'm sure someone out there will know what I'm prattling on about and be able to help me.... :eek:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
LADA?

Which is either a rubbish Russian car or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults, which is a kind of slow onset Type 1 diabetes, that is often confused with T2 on diagnosis.

Dottybagpuss

borofergie said:
LADA?

Which is either a rubbish Russian car or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults, which is a kind of slow onset Type 1 diabetes, that is often confused with T2 on diagnosis.

Ha ha ha. I had forgotten about those lovely cars!!! How could I... :lol: Thank you for the information about LADA. Not something I have ever heard of, but from what I read on many of these forums, I think there is a LOT that I don't know about diabetes. Time for some research perhaps!

Van1946

Hi all
Been on insulin now three months Humulin I at present 60 units at dinner time plus pills. Feeling so much better on the insulin than the many pills I took.