How much alcohol do people drink per week

Steve Hare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was told that I can't drink alcohol when I started insulin last November, I don't really drink much since I was diagnosed 6 years ago, but I did go out for a session once a month when I was on tablets only. Since they told me no alcohol on insulin I've not had a session :-(

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never been much of a drinker. I used to have the occasional Bailey's on ice but no more. About once a month (or less), I'll have a rum and Diet Coke.

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I split a bottle of wine with my partner most nights, If I don't, he drinks it all. Last night he drunk all of it - and snored very badly. My BSG is still high between 17 and 24 even when I don't drink. the doc does not seem bothered.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I split a bottle of wine with my partner most nights, If I don't, he drinks it all. Last night he drunk all of it - and snored very badly. My BSG is still high between 17 and 24 even when I don't drink. the doc does not seem bothered.

If your Dr is not concerned with those BG values, could be that he is also on the bottle.

Find a new Dr ,those values are way out off the norm.

Reactions: 2 people

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your Dr is not concerned with those BG values, could be that he is also on the bottle.

Find a new Dr ,those values are way out off the norm.

They rose beginning of December, after I was without medication for 9 days due to a cockup - they went upto 27 then. I have seen 2 doctors since and the practice nurse (who said I should be on statins). I have another appointment on Friday 13th, the earliest I could get, it is getting hard to keep going.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Best wishes for your Friday appointment, hope things get sorted out satisfactorily.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A bottle of wine over a weekend and maybe share one with three on a bad wednesday... not touched a beer since diagnosis.... occasional neat gin, shot of.....

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Enjoyed 5 or 6 pints on a saturday night but after getting diagnosed with type 2 last week i decided that i would have to cut out the lager and drink vodka and diet coke instead, Wrong, im also on 2 a day Metformin and on reading the leaflet it says no alcohol, now that is a sickener.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
abstinence.jpg

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I wasn't much of a drinker before diagnosis - maybe 5 glasses of red wine a year (mostly while on holiday) and a wee whisky with coke at Hogmanay. I haven't changed since daignosis and I very much doubt I ever will. I'm a control freak really and I don't like the effects of too much alcohol - although it didn't worry me in my 20s and 30s!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Red win e - probably more then I should! But being an a pump I can manage a night out better. A glass of wine is also good for the heart - right?!

@kazC

Definitely good for the soul as well as the heart too!

As for my drinking usually 2 decent whiskeys per week usually on a Friday night with a splash of Coke. Mind I've cycled on average 75 miles / week + 3 visits to the gym too. Thankfully I've lost 51 lbs in weight too with the help of a time restricted diet (I posted about it earlier today) Haven't had an HbA1c in a long time but I know I am much more healthier as I can now see my ribs! Yea!

I credit a great deal of my success to Phil Jeremy Personal trainer. He's good .. You can google him

Last edited by a moderator:

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone drink on metformin?

I only drink on fridays and I tend to not take my medication but im trying to cut this out. I dont want to pull the age card but a pint at the pub is massivley part of my social life. Not much else to do in my town really. Ive had a couple of nights on just diet coke but I also have a stressful job so sometimes on a friday its nice to have a few drinks..

Steve Hare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone drink on metformin?

I only drink on fridays and I tend to not take my medication but im trying to cut this out. I dont want to pull the age card but a pint at the pub is massivley part of my social life. Not much else to do in my town really. Ive had a couple of nights on just diet coke but I also have a stressful job so sometimes on a friday its nice to have a few drinks..

I used to drink on Metformin, at first I used to get vomiting early hours of the morning but I got used to it and the vomiting stopped on Metformin. This is a possible side affect when drinking on Metformin. I have the same issue as you now because aswell as the Metformin and Gliclazide, I am now on insulin, so I have stopped drinking and trying to get used to it on insulin now

jnhutton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Glass or 2 of malt whisky most days, 1 or 2 bottles of red a week, the (very) occasional pint. Seems like a lot compared to other posters on here.

Reactions: 3 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having said earlier in this thread that I'd given alcohol up, I did have a couple of glasses of red wine at a function last night. It didn't seem to affect my blood sugar levels at all so I may well have to rethink my "giving up" strategy ;)

jnhutton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
2 hours after 2 lamb chops, vegetables and gravy, followed by cheese and crackers, accompanied by 2 large glasses of wine and a 1 hour snooze on the sofa, i've just scored a 6.2, which is the lowest for ages. Is it the red wine??

Reactions: 6 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 hours after 2 lamb chops, vegetables and gravy, followed by cheese and crackers, accompanied by 2 large glasses of wine and a 1 hour snooze on the sofa, i've just scored a 6.2, which is the lowest for ages. Is it the red wine??

@jnhutton

You have an interesting take on T2. I met a fellow T2 sufferer today in town. His second leg was amputated in the last week. Very sad..

JM

Last edited by a moderator: