1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How much basal are you using per day?

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by TypeZero., Jul 23, 2020.

1. TypeZero.

TypeZero. · Well-Known Member

Just interested because I want to predict by how much my Lantus might increase, I know everyone is different but still.

On 15 units at the moment whilst 61kg. My dietitian is saying I will need more insulin in the future but using the general reference it looks like I’m already getting enough. Total insulin dose = 0.5 units per kg of body weight and 50% of dose is basal

• Like Like x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

11 (and yes I'm heavier than 61kg) - I'm on Tresiba now but was also on 11 when I was on Lantus before - and have certainly produced none of my own insulin for an awful long time

4. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You cant predict it is the simple answer I'm afraid, you will just have to wait it out til your honeymoon ends and as @In Response says it can vary day by day anyways

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. diabetic12yrs

diabetic12yrs Type 1 · Well-Known Member

6. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

On pump and my basal is around 16 units. I am not on a low carb diet....in fact eating around 250g carbs daily on average

• Like Like x 1
  7. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

80kg 14u Tresiba, moderate complex carb diet, on Lantus I used 22u, Humalog between 16u and 20u depending what I eat.

The Tresiba will drop to 13u when I get back in the gym and the pool...

8. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use 16 units levemir daily at the moment (split into 2 injections), gradually increased from 2 units a day. Low carbing since diagnosis 4 years ago since diagnosis maybe 10 years since T1 condition triggered.

9. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m on 24 units of Levimir and to be honest I dinny care how much i take as long as my blood sugars are ok. As we all know diabetes is totally individual to the individual, and tomorrow it could all change that’s what being diabetic is all about .

• Agree Agree x 1
    #9 Ushthetaff, Jul 24, 2020 at 10:05 PM
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook