1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 How Much Carbohydrate A Day?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by azad1983, Jun 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. azad1983

azad1983 Type 2 · Member

I know this may sound odd but as an average 35 years old male with type 2 diabetes how much carbohydrate is essential?
    After cutting down my carbohydrate intake from my daily diet, I feel very dizzy and fatigue.

Any advice, please?

2. AtkinsMo

AtkinsMo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

You feel dizzy and fatigued, very likely, due to dehydration. (this used to be called Atkins flu). When you cut carbs very low it is a natural diuretic, you pee more and excrete more Sodium. So you need to make sure that you increase your Sodium intake and up your fluids. Easiest way is to drink a cup of stock, home made is best but a stock cube will do.

I aim for 20g carbs a day, virtually all from green leafy veg and salad. And I’m the healthiest I’ve been in decades.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

The answer is no carbohydrate is essential! However if you have dropped carbs drastically you may be suffering ‘carb flu’, not real flu but your body is protesting at a sudden drop in carbs. When I first started low carbing I started at around 100g/day, after six weeks I dropped to between 50-70/day. I escaped carb flu. These days I eat between 40-60g/day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Carbs aren't essential, but are you sure you're eating enough? Eating less carbs means you have to eat more from other food groups, otherwise you're basically starving yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. There is no Spoon

There is no Spoon I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It last about 2 weeks then you should be good. ;)
    :bag:

6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. No carbs are essential but having enough of the other food groups i.e. proteins, fats, veg and fruit is important.

• Like Like x 1
  7. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook