Type 2 How Much Carbohydrate A Day?

azad1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this may sound odd but as an average 35 years old male with type 2 diabetes how much carbohydrate is essential?
After cutting down my carbohydrate intake from my daily diet, I feel very dizzy and fatigue.

Any advice, please?

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You feel dizzy and fatigued, very likely, due to dehydration. (this used to be called Atkins flu). When you cut carbs very low it is a natural diuretic, you pee more and excrete more Sodium. So you need to make sure that you increase your Sodium intake and up your fluids. Easiest way is to drink a cup of stock, home made is best but a stock cube will do.

I aim for 20g carbs a day, virtually all from green leafy veg and salad. And I’m the healthiest I’ve been in decades.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The answer is no carbohydrate is essential! However if you have dropped carbs drastically you may be suffering ‘carb flu’, not real flu but your body is protesting at a sudden drop in carbs. When I first started low carbing I started at around 100g/day, after six weeks I dropped to between 50-70/day. I escaped carb flu. These days I eat between 40-60g/day.

Reactions: millenium

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs aren't essential, but are you sure you're eating enough? Eating less carbs means you have to eat more from other food groups, otherwise you're basically starving yourself.

Reactions: millenium

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. No carbs are essential but having enough of the other food groups i.e. proteins, fats, veg and fruit is important.

Reactions: dbr10