How much dairy/protein in a day on LCHF

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi everyone its been a while since I have been on the forum. I am getting back into LCHF and lost 7lbs in first week then 2lbs the second. I am worried I am eating too much dairy and protein. I want to continue with weightloss and make sure I am doing everything right. I am type 1.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's up to you - we will all need different amounts depending on the number of carbs we choose to eat, our weight, size, activity levels. Try this low carb nutritional calculator to help work out recommended percentages for your personal requirements.

But you need to think about all fats from any meat, fish, nuts, avocados, oils, that you may be using - not just from dairy products.

If you're on insulin, you may also need to adjust your dose too. (@robert72 - advice please??)

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reduced my carbs slowly over several months so that I could assess my insulin requirements as I went. My ratios seemed to work until I got below 50g carb/day. I actually don't count carbs any more but have similar meals as far as macro nutrients go, so have a good idea how much to bolus just from experience now. Other low-carb T1s find that the can calculate boluses by counting carbs plus 50-60% of protein and 10% of fat. I would suggest that you take lots of notes as you go to see what works for you personally as we are all different. I also had to lower my basal as I lowered my boluses and I am still pretty much 50/50 (currently 15u Tresiba and 14u Novorapid per day).

Reactions: 2 people

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for the advice that's great. I am a terrible one for calculating. I am finding chicken is really affecting my bloods so will stick to other meats.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you eating more chicken in ounces than other meats? Do you add any fat to it? If I don't add any fat to my meals and eat lean protein I will go higher. If I have a burger I don't need additional fat even though I still add a little because I like it. It might be some other variable in your meal.

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
No I don't have much fat with it, that's maybe whats causing the problem. I am much better if I eat pork or beef chicken just seems to send me higher.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fat slows bs so try adding some fat to it like guac or mayo. A pat of butter maybe. Are you low carb? Do you aet dairy? I hesitate to recommend dairy as it spikes me. When k eat lean protein like chicken turkey or fish I need to have avocado or mayo. For some reason olive oil is like water and does nothing to stop a spike but mayo and guac will. I have to be careful to balance all macros to prevent spikes. Some veggies some heavier fat and some protein. I'm thrown off if I don't have all 3 macros. But YMMV

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to translate @Kristin's post ;) (hope you don't mind? @Kristin )

Guac = guacamole
And
A pat of butter = a dab or blob, not a whole 200g/8oz pat

Sorry to step in, but sometimes we really are two cultures divided by a common language :hilarious:

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks, I am trying to lose weight and I do eat dairy cheese is the only dairy I eat. I don't like cream, I am really fussy my typical day looks like this breakfast massive mug of green tea, lunch handful of mixed leaf salad with a teaspoon of mayo and ham or tuna with cheese. Tea would be tonight I had a burger high meat content handful of mixed salad leaves and some finely grated cheddar. Do you think I am eating to much cheese? It's all so complicated I just don't feel confident at all just now with what I am eating.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to translate @Kristin's post ;) (hope you don't mind? @Kristin )

Guac = guacamole
And
A pat of butter = a dab or blob, not a whole 200g/8oz pat

Sorry to step in, but sometimes we really are two cultures divided by a common language :hilarious:

I don't mind at all, in fact I rather appreciate it. Sometimes I have no idea what you're eating or weighing of bs numbers. Haha

Thanks, I am trying to lose weight and I do eat dairy cheese is the only dairy I eat. I don't like cream, I am really fussy my typical day looks like this breakfast massive mug of green tea, lunch handful of mixed leaf salad with a teaspoon of mayo and ham or tuna with cheese. Tea would be tonight I had a burger high meat content handful of mixed salad leaves and some finely grated cheddar. Do you think I am eating to much cheese? It's all so complicated I just don't feel confident at all just now with what I am eating.

For me dairy is an issue with weight and bs but it isn't for everyone. You could try replacing it with something else for a week or so and see what happens. In my diet I would need more fat to keep spikes down. I'm not talking gobbing the fat but perhaps a tablespoon of mayo instead of a tsp. Do you like guacamole or sliced avocado? Many of us find it to be very bs friendly. I eat 1/2 for breakfast with celery and the other half for lunch with some protein and celery and a radish. If I just eat lean protein and veggies I will spike. Fat slows the digestion so I see a lower slower rise. I need about 10 g of fat with meals. It's usually mayo or avocado.
For the most part I need a handful of veg, 10 g of fat and about 3 oz protein at meals. It has and is debatable/ debated how much protein effects bs. It has a very profound effect for me so I keep it under 3 oz per meal. Your meter will tell you. If you are eating large portions of protein at dinner you met see higher fasting as protein takes longer to digest as well and bs can be higher hours later.

Hope this helps and perhaps a few things you can test and play with.