How much exercise do you do?

RodBallantyne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sugary foods
As many of the respondents have said, we are all different, and have different levels of capability. Don't confuse endurance events with fitness, an ability to run a marathon is often seen as a measure of fitness. It isn't! You can have a high relative VO2Max and a rapid recovery time and still not be able to complete a marathon, because we are all different and have different mixtures of fast twitch and slow twitch fibres in our muscles. The important thing is to establish what is the most effective regime of exercise for your own body, not what you might read about other people. What is good for me is probably too strenuous for you so I won't try to advise you. You should attend a good gym and get good advice from a professional who can give you a suitable regime for you particular circumstances. The most likely regime is one which has a mixture of cardiovascular work and muscle strengthening, and lasts about 40 to 45 minutes each session. I would only advise that you try to do at least 3 sessions per week.

Marie1968

I started running in May last year. I started with a walk/run combo slowly building up. I couldn't run a hundred yards without gasping to breathe. 11 months later I train 4 times a week (3 different runs ie hill work, speed work and a long weekend run) I do weights once a week. Today I ran Lincoln 10k in 63mins. Running has changed me beyond recognition in many ways, 3 stone lighter, happy, confident, better outlook, reduced medication, good diabetes management. I feel healthier now, even though diabetic than I did 2 years ago : )

titchy_lou

I do 1 hour of Zumba 2/3 times a week, and go for long walks at the weekend. I do still feel like I need to do more but I'm always ill so am in a lose lose situation

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011
Currently on basal insulin