Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fencer said:
First up, let me clarify that any extra exercise you can get is good. Never think that going for a 30 minute walk is not worth the bother.

I'll second that Fencer! :)

Nigel

Writeangle

I am 70 and have been going to the gym for some time. Since on insulin as well as metformin and gliclazide my weight increased to 15 stone from 13.5 stone. I have increased exercise to 4-5 days per week and concentrated on cardio doing 6 miles (600 calories) on the rower in one hour. So far I have lost one stone over 2-3 months and my daily insulin dose (glargine) take Gliclazide in the morning to avoid being low after the gym and the diabetic nurse has advised me to only take one Glicazide at tea time since i am getting lows at night. She tells me I am the only patient she has who has reduced their insulin dose which surprises me. Surely others with type 2 have found they need to reduce their insulin because of exercise?

angelariss

I daily do exercise in the morning and evening that too for 2 hrs..I am getting the benefits of doing exercise.Just because of it am completely fit and fine now.

Grazer

angelariss said:
I daily do exercise in the morning and evening that too for 2 hrs..I am getting the benefits of doing exercise.Just because of it am completely fit and fine now.

Good to hear - are you diabetic though? Just wondered because your profile suggests maybe not. In which case you're more than fine! :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
When I first caught the old T2 diabetes in March, I couldn't run for more than 100m without keeling over.

I'm now up to running about 70 miles a month, and I've finally managed to break 10min/mile pace for 5k (faster than 10min/mile officially counts as running rather than jogging).

When I first started, lots of people told me that I wouldn't be able to run very much while low-carbing, all of which has so far proved to be completely wrong. I've read lots of books on sports nutrition, and it's clear to me that no-one has the foggiest idea on how or why we get exhausted (under extreme activity) and what role diet has on this.

Triathlon and Half-marathon next year, I hope.

Mommayorkie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ruled by my conditions.if it isnt one playing up its another. stopping me leading at least some sort of life.
i am newly diagnosed type 2. just above the borderline. trying diet only at first. i have lots of other medical problems from full spinal spondylosis (my neck being the worst at present). asthma, COPD bad circulation, (about 20 mild to moderate to potentially life threatening conditions if not treated properly)was about 4stone overweight after stopping smoking 4 years ago but have lost a stone of that by eating as healthily as i can. have silent acid reflux too which means other foods to consider or avoid on top of the diabetes. pretty sedentary as live in isolated area, have a dog which i did take out but could only manage round the corner around a small piece of grass so did that 3 times a day for 6 months but then it got to me. was soul destroying and never met a soul.now i just take him out the front gate a couple times a day. i have a walker who walks him for an hour once a week.(its all i can afford). i am now classed as clinically depressed after having so many new conditions start up (who says stopping smoking is good for you?lolol). since my diagnosis of diabetes i have bought a folding treadmill.(only live in 1 bedroomed bungalow so no way to walk far here or put a load of stuff. this treadmill is small and compact n fits in easily.does minimum of 0.5km to 6 km per hour. on lowest setting i only managed 3 minutes the first day.b4 my back and hips started aching. day after i did 4 minutes. had to stop as went a bit dizzy. didnt use it for about 3 days then as had a tummy prob. but yesterday went on and managed 6.5 minutes. again i had to stop as i got a bit dizzy. first time that happened was just b4 my lunch so daft time to go on it. but yesterday was about 1.5 hours after my lunch which was a proper dinner.i do not have a blood glucose monitor.my doc says i dont need one as im only just over borderline.so dont know and have no way TO know what my bloods were on these occasions. any suggestions please? im female and 69 years old btw.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's great work Mommayorkie! Build it up slowly and you'll be eating up the miles in no time.

The worst bit is always starting, once you've got warmed up a bit then the walking gets a lot easier. It's worth a little bit of pain for the feeling of wellbeing you get when you finsh.

Keep it up!

Stephen

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
borofergie said:
That's great work Mommayorkie! Build it up slowly and you'll be eating up the miles in no time.

The worst bit is always starting, once you've got warmed up a bit then the walking gets a lot easier. It's worth a little bit of pain for the feeling of wellbeing you get when you finsh.

Keep it up!

Stephen

Absolutely. Walking is fun, great exercise and a brilliant way to explore.

Fallenstar

Mommayorkie, welcome to the forum :wave:
It's great that you are taking your health and your condition seriously and are making steps to improve it. And you will :D Well done on getting the treadmill, just carry on as you are doing ,the main thing you are doing by the sounds of things is listening to your body,,,if things don';t feel right on that day,stop, and do a bit more when it feels right. You will gradually build up the walking and I'm sure you will benefit from it...well done, I bet your little dog would love to hop on behind you :wink:

Borofergie, well done on the running, its addictive isn't it :wink: I started over 5 years ago , I was overweight, had Neuropathy (now reversed), and could not walk up the field without hearing my heart pounding in my head. I started out steady and I run everyday now. I ran 34 miles on Saturday, the first 12 were all Hills till I could get out to the main roads and I only planned to run to the next town and then ring my OH for a lift back but ended up feeling so good I ran all the way back...17 miles there,17 miles back..All done on a big bowl of mixed berries with a great big slosh of double cream :thumbup: So the" you can't do it on low carbs" is a load of old :silent: because I have been doing ultra Marathon on it for years ..and have great muscle to fat ratios and loads of energy and can run most of the high carb boys from my running club into the ground :wave: See ya!! :lol:
Keep it up , we ought to do a Marathon together for DUK :wink:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fallenstar said:
Borofergie, well done on the running, its addictive isn't it :wink:

It is completely addictive, and such a buzz, so much so that I'm starting to feel moody on the days that I don't run. To be honest I think of little else at the moment, reliving my last race and planning for the next one. In the past 6 months I've gone from being a diabetes bore, to a running bore.

Fallenstar said:
started over 5 years ago , I was overweight, had Neuropathy (now reversed), and could not walk up the field without hearing my heart pounding in my head. I started out steady and I run everyday now. I ran 34 miles on Saturday, the first 12 were all Hills till I could get out to the main roads and I only planned to run to the next town and then ring my OH for a lift back but ended up feeling so good I ran all the way back...17 miles there,17 miles back..

Wow! Just wow. 34 miles for a (hilly training run) is incredible. I know what you mean though, when I go for a 4 mile run I end up doing 6 cos I feel good.

Fallenstar said:
All done on a big bowl of mixed berries with a great big slosh of double cream :thumbup: So the" you can't do it on low carbs" is a load of old :silent: because I have been doing ultra Marathon on it for years ..and have great muscle to fat ratios and loads of energy and can run most of the high carb boys from my running club into the ground :wave: See ya!! :lol:

That's great news. It seems like lots of "sports science" isn't really science at all.

Fallenstar said:
Keep it up , we ought to do a Marathon together for DUK :wink:

Give me another year and I'll take you up on that. I don't know if anyone else has done it, but an all diabetic running team would be great publicity for DUK (you at the front of the race, me at the back).

Thanks Fallenstar, you've inpsired me to lace up tonight.

Dislikes
Man Utd, racism and bullying.
I run 15-20 miles every week. i am an IDD of 32years and i am on a pump. at 47 I recently ran my first marathon.
MT

Fallenstar

Hi Mark :D You will have to join our team..I love the idea of an all Diabetic running team Borofergie...maybe we could get something together for the Great North Run,thats a fun one and not till the back end of the year..so we could pull that one together and hopefully pick up a few more Diabetic runners along the way...it would be a blast, last one back buy's the drinks :wink: I reckon you will be one of those in the front by then Lad, the rate you are going .Did you get out for a spin tonight Borofergie?

Do you Road or treadmill run B? How often do you train? Yes the miles will creep up, I'm afraid you just keep adding them as you get fitter...I just disappear for hours now if I get half the chance, I never hear my phone cos I have my headphones on :wink:

great to hear you have turned the corner with your Diabetes , keep up the running as you will just go from strength to strength with it :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I managed a 20 minute threshold run. Hurt like hell but, then it's supposed to. :D

I run about 18 miles a week right now - 5k race on Saturday morning, and then a couple of easy 10ks during the week. Trying to add a bit of "quality" work because I'm trying to get my 5k time down (below 30mins, I've knocked 3.5 minutes in a month http://www.parkrun.org.uk/athleteresult ... ber=190582 I'm still a heavy runner, so I'm proud of my progress).

I'm still marvelling that I can run for 6 miles now and enjoy it, especially in the Autumn when you can lose yourself in the scenary. First mile always hurts a bit, but then you just find that your legs move all by themselves.

I always run outside, unless I'm stuck in an American Hotel room, when I have to ue the treadmil (although I've run around Central Park and along the Banks of Lake Michigan in Chicago this year, so I can't complain too much).

My race diary is empty for next year, and I was looking for a half marathon. Great North Run would be an awesome choice. I think a DUK team would be awesome. Let's see if we can recruit some people for a big run next year. It would be a great way of showing that you can rule diabetes, rather than it ruling you.

Fallenstar

Hey Steven :D
I'd be up for it, it would be great to get some Diabetic peeps together of all abilities to go for a half marathon, the Birmingham one is in October too, that is a good one :D

I did a treadmill 10 mile today, hill interval, I usually enjoy this but I felt a bit :yawn: today. it must have been the weekend epic that caught up with me. To be honest I don't know what possessed me now :***: Like I said I was only supposed to be going one way, but I was still in the zone..body just working ,detached from my head and so carried on....Today I had to :twisted: SHOUT and YELL at my body to complete the session. I hate them...I'm sure it was the weekend and will be better tomorrow. Thing is I have run everyday since Saturday and have been fine, but sometimes I do have an out of kilter run, I had unusual drops in my BG during it, so it was all a bit odd really
Road run Tomorrow , they always seem to go a lot quicker as like you say, nice to take in the scenery as you go :D
Mind you nothing like treadmill sprint sessions to get those endorphins up there. I don't know whether to get off and collapse , or lay back and have a fag :wink: If I smoked :lol:
Brilliant you have got the bug, and those park runs are great motivators . A friend of mine does them every week and it keeps her motivated to train for them , so keeps her fit.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Too many skinny T1s. We'll need a few more fat T2s otherwise I'm going to finish well a truely last :mrgreen:

The only problem is that the Great North Run is oversubscribed and entry is by ballot or by charity place (for which you have to raise £300+ per runner). It's early yet, I'm sure we could get something good sorted out.

Stephen

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
borofergie said:
Too many skinny T1s. We'll need a few more fat T2s otherwise I'm going to finish well a truely last :mrgreen:

The only problem is that the Great North Run is oversubscribed and entry is by ballot or by charity place (for which you have to raise £300+ per runner). It's early yet, I'm sure we could get something good sorted out.

Stephen
Well if you want someone to take longer than you, I'm a T1 and not overweight but I'll be a W60 :shh: next year so you would beat me :lol:

Dislikes
Man Utd, racism and bullying.
Dear Fallen star,
I note you say although you run everyday some days you cannot seem to get going. I use zero electrolytes by high 5 . They are brilliant- replace electrolytes and don,t push up your blood sugar. they are great and if you've overdone it and are stiff- try 2! I find the 1 hour after exercise is as important as what you take in pre-exercise.
Mark.

Fallenstar

Hi Mark :D
Thankyou for that, I do need something like that ,as I do get electrolyte imbalance from time to time, and the sport drinks gas me :sick: Where do you get your's from?

Are you already signed up for the GNR ? It would be great to get something together for DUK ,anywhere really, there are number of half Marathons around ,whether people walk ,run, or whatever..the pub after for a pint will be good :wink:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
phoenix said:
Well if you want someone to take longer than you, I'm a T1 and not overweight but I'll be a W60 :shh: next year so you would beat me :lol:

I've been beaten by plenty of W60s on my Saturday parkruns phoenix, I wouldn't stand a chance against a proper marathon runner like you...

I would like to meet a T2 distance runner. I can understand how T1s can play about with their insulin to let them take some carbs on during a marathon. But I don't know what the influence of insulin resistance on a T2 mararathon runner would be. We don't burn carbs very fast, so does that mean that our muscle glycogen stores deplete faster? I don't suppose anyone really knows the answer to that.

Anyway, I hope we get some news on the DUK running team next week.

Stephen