How much insulin/chinese takeaway?

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much insulin do you take for say, a chinese takeaway? In general? I had stir fry beef in yellow bean sauce with cashew nuts and boiled rice. Absolutely no idea how much short acting to take - had 22 units, total guess.
Just as well I rarely have them!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: How much insulin/chinese takeaway?

Everyone will be different and it's difficult to say without looking at the portion size. I'd guess around 12 units for me, 22 sounds like an aweful lot. If I were you I'd test your BGs at 1, 1.5 and 2 hours after injecting to make sure you're not hypo.

Edit: corrected typos

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
samJB I think you're right about the testing afterwards and will do so. I never seem to get it right with takeaways, normally I underestimate and end up high blood sugars for several hours. I guessed on the rice, I should've and could've weighed that. My ratio for eve meal is 1.5 units for every 10 carbs. The 22 units was just a random number - must aim not to do this.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't have takeaways very often, but I often guess too.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

rice is easy to measure 1 tablespoon is 10g of carbs. I wouldnt count the beef unless your eating tons of it! i would have said about 10u if i was eating that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

catsbd said:
How much insulin do you take for say, a chinese takeaway? In general? I had stir fry beef in yellow bean sauce with cashew nuts and boiled rice. Absolutely no idea how much short acting to take - had 22 units, total guess.

Difficult to guess the carbs in a Chinese Takeaway as you don't know how much flour or sugar they use in the dishes, what I found easiest was to stick with the same establishment every-time, the portion sizes vary from takeaway to takeaway and the cooks use less or more of the ingredients that raise our bg, so finding one that sells good food and sticking with the same dishes you can estimate quite well the carb content of the food going by past experiences.....if that makes since!!!

I always get a chicken curry with fried rice and have a few prawn crackers that come free with the meal, as the meal is high in fat I don't inject all my insulin at once but split the dose over a period of hours, were I to inject it all at once I'd hypo soon after eating.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

noblehead said:
catsbd said:

Difficult to guess the carbs in a Chinese Takeaway as you don't know how much flour or sugar they use in the dishes, what I found easiest was to stick with the same establishment every-time, the portion sizes vary from takeaway to takeaway and the cooks use less or more of the ingredients that raise our bg, so finding one that sells good food and sticking with the same dishes you can estimate quite well the carb content of the food going by past experiences.....if that makes since!!!

I always get a chicken curry with fried rice and have a few prawn crackers that come free with the meal, as the meal is high in fat I don't inject all my insulin at once but split the dose over a period of hours, were I to inject it all at once I'd hypo soon after eating.

It makes sense, but doesn't it get quite tedious eating the same thing every time?

Surely the point of a takeaway is that it's a treat, so why take that aspect of it away?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

ElyDave said:
It makes sense, but doesn't it get quite tedious eating the same thing every time?

Surely the point of a takeaway is that it's a treat, so why take that aspect of it away?

No it doesn't get tedious as I happen to like the chicken curry dish and as I don't get a Chinese Takeaway too often I quite look forward to it, occasionally I'll share my takeaway with my wife who gets a Chicken Chow Mein but on the whole I much prefer the curry.

The point is if you stick to the same establishment you can vary the dishes, the key is to remember how much you ate and bolused for the last time you had it, I maybe I'm a creature of habit as when we get a Indian Takeaway I always get a Chicken Tikka Saag with a Garlic Pilau :)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

All this talk is making me REALLY want to get a takeaway tonight!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

catsbd said:

Hi I have found a couple of dishes in my carbs and cals book.

Chicken curry with white rice : ( 260g curry, 98g rice 35 carbs) (365g curry, 161g rice, 57 carbs) I would take between 4 and 8 units for these two different sizes. Like you I very rarely eat them.

Beef Chow Mein weight 275g is 40 carbs that's half a tray, full tray 545g, 80 carbs

Chinese spring roll, weight 24g, 5 carbs, weight 70g, 15 carbs.

So that might be a helpful rough guide for you

All the best RRB

Sam, I am feeling the same as you ,but I'm having two GF wraps, with chicken, cheese and some veg tonight :angel: lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

SamJB said:

Tell me about it Sam :roll:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

noblehead said:
ElyDave said:

No it doesn't get tedious as I happen to like the chicken curry dish and as I don't get a Chinese Takeaway too often I quite look forward to it, occasionally I'll share my takeaway with my wife who gets a Chicken Chow Mein but on the whole I much prefer the curry.

The point is if you stick to the same establishment you can vary the dishes, the key is to remember how much you ate and bolused for the last time you had it, I maybe I'm a creature of habit as when we get a Indian Takeaway I always get a Chicken Tikka Saag with a Garlic Pilau :)

I'm only allowed to go to an Indian restaurant when I'm away from home working. My wife is Indian and won't go near them without a lot of grumbling that it's not proper Indian food. If you mention curry or chicken tikka, woe betides you. :shock:

One of my biggest challenges is eating in hotels/restaurants/canteens etc, I never know what I'll find.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

noblehead said:
SamJB said:

Tell me about it Sam :roll:

I've been thinking about fish and chips for two days, may go for it on Monday on my way back from London.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

ElyDave said:
I'm only allowed to go to an Indian restaurant when I'm away from home working. My wife is Indian and won't go near them without a lot of grumbling that it's not proper Indian food. If you mention curry or chicken tikka, woe betides you. :shock:

One of my biggest challenges is eating in hotels/restaurants/canteens etc, I never know what I'll find.

Understandable your good lady feels that way about Indian food in this country, did you see Rick Stein's last tv series where he was touring India and eating their traditional curry's, far removed from what we eat here and a lot of the people he asked had never even heard of some of the dishes in the UK.