How much insulin is too much.

Tammykay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My dr. Put me on Levemir and I was told to keep titration up by 3 units daily until my fasting blood glucose numbers were between 80-110. I am now up to 180 units at night and fog levels are still 160-180. I am type two diabetic. I have insulin resistance. Seems like a lot of insulin at once to me, but numbers are not going down as I hoped. Do I keep titrating? How high should I go? I feel like a failure!!! I hoped my numbers would be better by now. Should I consider an insulin pump?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is that the only insulin you're taking? No fast acting insulin before meals?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In theory there is no limit to insulin shots, but with insulin resistance you may just be adding insulin to blood already drowning in it? Insulin for insulin resistant T2s can be a mixed blessing. You may need to find a way to break the vicious circle. Are you having a low-carb diet? Have you discussed going onto something like Victoza or Byetta for a while if there is weight to be shed?

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
iam type 2 and on an insulin pump. at first I was on 180 units of long acting and 320units of fast acting per day with bloods still in the high 20 low 30 and at times high 40s. it was recommended that I should try a pump but it has taken over 12 months to get one ( a lot fighting with the C.C.G), how ever I can now say that after only 6 months of pumping bloods are down to 4-7 hbc1 was at 114+++ and is now at 44. insulin use is down to 55 units per day. so yes a pump worked for me but that is not to say that it would work for you, yes there is evidence that pumps do work for type 2 but NICE REGS still do not recommend a pump for type 2s thought this is up for review later this summer. as for you feel like a failure its not you but your insulin resistance that is failing you. you are in what I called chasing insulin ( you just keep increasing and the moor you take the moor your bloods go up the moor you need.) and it seems never ending and yes the prospects of giving it all up and forgetting you have type 2 may seem a good prospect ( i'v been there). yes its seems never ending, but I can say that you have to fight and fight hard for what you want, and if that's to try a pump then go for it. but a pump is not easy and is a lot of work to testing and moor testing hypos and moor hypos. but when its working right them for me its the best thing iv ever tried and now I would not give it up for any one as its given me back my life. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated on what you are upto and how you are progressing.

GOOD LUCK.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I also am wondering if you are on both a basal and bolus regime. I'm currently using 14 units of basal per day but I bolus higher than that for my meals. I also have insulin resistance, but I don't think mine is too bad. There are a lot of variables that can impact your blood sugar too aside from diet... are you on any other medications? If you are check if any of them have raising blood sugar as a side effect (I know I am on at least one that does that to me and has it as a listed side effect). I agree that maybe a pump could be an option for you too. I hope you're able to get good control. I wish you the best. :)