How much is too many eggs?

Cowboyjim

Have been perusing this excellent forum for a while now but thought I'd wait until I had a worthwhile (to me) topic to propose and seek advice.
I am keen on the low carb approach and have turned my back on cereals etc for brekkie. In my search for alternatives I enjoy a lo carb 'fry up' - in rapeseed or olive oil - of various veg and meat. At the centre though is the good old fried egg.
Now, I also have to watch my cholesterol of course so what's the deal on that please? But more importantly how about the other 'truism' linking too many eggs with constipation?
ATM I limit myself to 2 or 3 eggs for brekkie a week. Variety isn't a bad thing so I don't want to eat 'omlettes' every day either but realistically what is the limit?
Bear in mind I am on metformin several times a day which might counteract the binding effect of the eggs....;)
Thanks in advance and my thanks for such a good place to come and learn how to manage my T2.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's been said before, but it's worth saying again. The liver produces ~80% of the cholesterol in your bloodstream. (Actually, there isn't cholesterol in your bloodstream, only lipoproteins which carry the stuff). Anyway, the major influence on those lipoproteins has little to do with cholesterol in the diet and a whole lot more to do with the levels of glucose and insulin which actuallyis in the bloodstream. The higher they are, the higher your triglycerides and the lower your HDL (both of which are actually more significant risk factors in heart disease risk than LDL, which is what saturated fat raises.)
Eggs for breakfast? Bring 'em on.

fergus

Cowboyjim

Thanks for those quick replies :D - I think I needn't worry about the cholesterol from eggs then.
But what about the old wive's premise (?) that eggs give you constipation? Suppose I could counter that with more fruit, if it happens?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Absolutely Check out writings and talks by Robert Lustig. Google him. You'll learn loads
Hana

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's amazing how old wives premises are a staple of so much dietary advice!
When I was wee I was persuaded that bread crusts made your hair curly, so I always cut them off. Maybe it was the very first step in becoming a low-carber?!

All the best,

fergus

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
fergus said:
It's amazing how old wives premises are a staple of so much dietary advice!
When I was wee I was persuaded that bread crusts made your hair curly, so I always cut them off.

All the best,

fergus
Fergus.

Was this the hair or the bread crusts......... :D

Ken.

Cowboyjim

I love this forum - GSOH!
Aaah Paul Newman, brilliant.
I was thinking more of the Marx Brothers in that liner scene... :D

Cowboyjim

Sad to say I had not heard of Mr Lustig but his take on processed foods resonates strongly.
I had always been suspicious of industry but ever since touring the supermarket as a T2 I am aghast. We are under seige and no one's listening... well, some are.
I resent the notion that I got this way due to overindulgence when I thought I was simply feeding myself. I have not been offered any other explanation for T2 other than 'it's genetic' or some such codswallop. A lifetime of carbs sounds far more likely. Not any more though.
It's funny how much fuss there is about lead in petrol and nicotine etcd in fags but seems noone up top wants to point the finger at the food industry. Looking at the latest diabetes rates it is inexplicable that it gets so little coverage. Maybe if a PM or president was one it'd be different. Screw going to Mars fix diseases like the big D for pity's sake. Science can fix anything if the will is there.
Friday afternoon rant over.... hope everyone has a good weekend. I am out to a party tonight so will be playing the usual game of umming and arhing about what I can and can't have... cor those vol au vents look nice! Down boy! 8)

mahed63

I eat about 10 to 15 eggs each week and have not had any probs with constipation,I also eat a lot of fibre.To answer your question, in my book there can never be too many eggs.
scrambled,poached,boiled,fried,omlette, :lol: :lol:

Cowboyjim

Thanks for the replies - one for Mahed63, how do you get all that fibre? Seems a bit tricky to me as the old standby stuff may be off limits, such as all bran etc. Have to watch that coz of the salt for my BP too tho. Fruit? But that has sugar in it too... it's still rather confusing to me. 8)

I'm trying out alternate days of eggy breakfasts and something else like fruit or....

Katharine

I eat about 18 eggs a week and have no problems with them at all. My lipid levels are great.

One thing is that we got a compost bin and were told that egg shells were good for this. We found that they didn't rot at all. My husband has banned me from sticking any more in and we just have to use my vast supply of used tea bags and vegetable peelings instead.

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I too eat around 18 eggs a week. My favourite meal is a fry-up which I have every day for breakfast and also sometimes for my evening meal aswell. When people find out how many eggs I eat, they either say "but what about cholesterol?" or "don't eggs make you egg bound?" I don't eat much fibre either but have found I'm as regular as ever since going on a lo-carb diet. I think it must be all the fat helping it along :D

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
we got a compost bin and were told that egg shells were good for this. We found that they didn't rot at all
Yes, I found that too - also any parts of Avocado came out completely intact years later. :? I've had to ban both from the compost.

Back on the main subject, I eat 2 eggs most days, poached or scrambled, without noticeable side effects. The thing about eggs for breakfast is that they "last" such a long time. When I was having toast or cereal for breakfast I would be hungry again 2 hours later!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
When I was on my "healthy" pre-dx diet of low fats and high carbs, my weekly consumption of eggs was 2 and my triglycerides was 7.7. Now I am diabetic (surprise-surprise!) my weekly egg consumption is approx 12 a week and my triglycerides are 0.9!.
Funny old world eh?

Steve.