How much medication.

bre5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Had to see a gastroenterologist today who asked what meds I was on for my type 2 diabetes, which is per day

Dapagliflozin 10mg per day
Gliclazide 80mg 4 x per day
Metformin 500mg 4 x per day
Sitagliptin 100 mg per day.

He looked at the list and said 'Who put you on that lot?"
My question is is this a lot of medication and if so what are my alternatives?
Thanks
Brian

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It is a bit on the high side but not necessarily a problem? A bit depends on what your weight/BMI is and whether you are actually veering towards being T1 rather than T2. What was your last HBa1C and how old are you? Dapagliflozin is fairly new and I know nothing about it. The other three I was on before I went onto insulin and are very commonly prescribed.

bre5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. It is a bit on the high side but not necessarily a problem? A bit depends on what your weight/BMI is and whether you are actually veering towards being T1 rather than T2. What was your last HBa1C and how old are you? Dapagliflozin is fairly new and I know nothing about it. The other three I was on before I went onto insulin and are very commonly prescribed.
58 years old. Type 2 for 13 years. HBa1c near top of acceptable range. BMI 26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That certainly is a lot of pills but I have no idea what "top of acceptable range" means so I don't know if the pills are warranted.

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
finger pricking and maths at every meal
I'm interested as I am also on a lot of meds.

Do you find you can tolerate some carbs with all those meds? If so how much?
I can't at all. So to me that says they don't work. I'm not expecting to be able to live on mash potatoes but I would expect to be able to have upto say 100g per day.

I'd interested to hear what it's like for you.

I'm 37 with a BMI of 25.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
If it is working and you are happy it is none of his business and he can keep his nose out. I'm on quite the cocktail myself for various reasons. Some of us just need it and that is fine :)