How often to people get hospital appointments?

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I always seem to be moaning about something or other lately (I'm not always so down lol)
I just wanted to see now often people get checked out at hospital or doctors for their diabetes?
I haven't had an appointment for the hospital since 2 years ago and only one appointment at the doctors in the past 2 years. It was always every 6 months but now I feel like a bit of a burden when I try to make an appointment at my doctors. Does anyone else feel like this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I saw hospital every 6mnths at first but the appointments ended up getting longer inbetween so changed to my clinic at the gp surgery and i go every 6mnths;)

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine was every 6 months then I had to cancel one appointment because I was in hospital with DKA. Since then I seem to have been struck off from their records. My doctors surgery is a bit of a nightmare because I'm on an insulin pump which they have no clue about.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go to the Diabetes Clinic every 4-6 months.
They just give me a new appointment for the next time when I am there.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Mine was every 6 months then I had to cancel one appointment because I was in hospital with DKA. Since then I seem to have been struck off from their records. My doctors surgery is a bit of a nightmare because I'm on an insulin pump which they have no clue about.

Hi Emma :) It sounds like you've dropped off the radar! I think you need to get in touch with your gp and ask for him/her to get you a hospital clinic appointment asap.
As a t2 id, I am seen at the hospital every six months.

Reactions: 2 people

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
My appointments are now once a year at the local hospital. Last year I hadnt been seen for over 2 years and when I inquired I was told that I had been taken off the list. The receptionist was surprised as I have had Type 1 for over 40 years now, it seems that some people were sent to their local GPs for diabetic care.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I think I have some chasing up to do. My gp is useless so I'm going to have to phone the hospital and find out more. It just makes me feel a bit like I'm bugging them. But that's just be being silly. Haha.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi Emma :) It sounds like you've dropped off the radar! I think you need to get in touch with your gp and ask for him/her to get you a hospital clinic appointment asap.
As a t2 id, I am seen at the hospital every six months.
It is for us to manage our diabetes in consultation with our medical team. If we are not receiving what we should as far as treatment and support then we need to see GP and get it organised. It is us who benefit and us who suffer. By managing our diabetes we are saving the NHS unfathomable amounts of money - our money.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Best to chase the clinic up Emma and ask why you haven't been called in for a review.

I have my diabetes review every 12 months and my eyes checked every 9 months, my feet use to get checked at my diabetes clinic but this is now done at my gp practice where I have to make an appointment to see a Podiatrist, I do this 12 monthly and last had a check up in January.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every 6 months at the hospital and once a year with nurse at gps.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Once a year with Consultant,every 6months with DSN and once a year at GP or less if I can avoid it.

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am on a pump too, so don't get bothered too much by my GP. I see my DSN every 4 months, and I have a pump review appointment with my DSN and consultant once a year. This appointment consists of sitting with the consultant and DSN for up to an hour and a half, discussing experiences with the pump and detailed review of results. I feel I am very well taken care of.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Every 6 months. 2 years is far too long to wait. Chase them up and have a moan at them ! Some people do appear to disappear off the radar for some reason.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I'm seen every 6 months.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try and avoid them as often as possible. I always end up going in feeling really positive and think I'm doing well only to have my life and control nit picked apart. Type 1 31 years only complication mild retinopathy last HBa1C 6%, one before that 6.4%, one before that 6.2% etc. Obviously I'm not doing well enough though because apparently I need to achieve better results. :yuck:

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did u chase it up? I'm now every 6 months since having my pump / being asked to be referred to the hospital and occasionally the nurse at my GPs asks me to come in for a check (but she knows nothing about pumps so just checks my feet, weight, etc). Eyes every 12 months.

Hope you get it sorted!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rang them today and after an hour and a half phone call I'm no further along now. They told me that after cancelling one appointment I was struck off from the system so they need a few days to chase it up with a doctor when one is available.

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I must be very special (or very bad) I get seen every 3 months at the hospital and every 3 - 4 months at the doctors - although as you say they know little or nothing about the pump and it usually turns into show 'n' tell for the nurses.

Melissa.coleman

As I am complicated t1 for 14 years with micro protein urea, high blood pressure and mental health issues... I am now seeing and getting the proper care I need so I am seeing the consultant every 3 months and got to see the dietician and dsn on a very regular basis