How old are you and how long have you had diabetes for ?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
type 1.5, as Consultant says its complicated diabetes, diagnosed at 25yrs old so hitting 26yrs now. even though things have changed over the years regarding technology and testing I find diabetes is always there like an old friend who just wants to sit around and annoy you! only complications that I can truthfully say are retinopathy, cataracts and potential heart issues. But, have done so much because of the stubbornness that diabetes gives you, and still doing too.

Chris?

Was curious to see how long people have had diabetes for more so type 1 , am 26 and have had type once for 11 years . Does it get easier the older you get , any complications even with good control? Just curious to see peoples take on living with the condition !

Chris?

Hi I am nearly 72 and was diagnosed type 2 in 2005. I find it hard to control my bloods with reading from 3.5 to 13? I cant remember what my last HBAC1 was, especially as the numbers the nurse quotes don't mean anything to me as they are different from what my meter shows, why cant they just stick to one system of measurement? I currently take 800mg Metformin plus 50 units of abasaglar per day. I had 1 large and 1 small stroke about two years ago which has left me with a balance problem. Up till that, Worked full time at a supermarket on nights and went to the Gym at least twice per week. Now i am retired and can only manage very short walks using a stick for balance assistance. Diet is a problem as I am allergic to any kind of fish, cant stand Pasta and don't like rice or yoghourt. Also not a big meat eater so my iron levels are a little low. The dietician at the hospital couldn't deal with anyone with my allergy or dislikes so sent me away with advice to buy a vegetarian cook book.

Mikey5368

Was curious to see how long people have had diabetes for more so type 1 , am 26 and have had type once for 11 years . Does it get easier the older you get , any complications even with good control? Just curious to see peoples take on living with the condition !

Mikey5368

I'm 53 year old new type 2 diabetic getting diagnosed has done my head right in. As far as I know is ketones are bad for you. I have done some reading on type2 but I still am confused about it all.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I feel like i've aged ten weeks since this thread started :)

In another four weeks I will have clocked up another year.:)

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diet is a problem
@Chris? You might find some info. here to help you: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods
I have just been checking out foods to eat for iron and was pleased to find that after meat, eggs are one of the highest. You don't say if you like chicken and / or turkey. I eat so much of them, alongside eggs, I'll probably start clucking soon. I think they too contain some iron. Good luck!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 53 year old new type 2 diabetic getting diagnosed has done my head right in. As far as I know is ketones are bad for you. I have done some reading on type2 but I still am confused about it all.
@Mikey5368, I suggest you start your own thread elsewhere. You may be amazed at how much helpful advice you get. You could perhaps post on "Greetings and Introductions" or on "Newly Diagnosed" or even here on "Diabetes Discussions". Good luck!

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I am 74 years young and have T1 for 74 years. My younger years were more curiosity governed, my mum had to do all the work! I learned to inject myself aged 8y.Testing was done with wee and tablets in a test tube! Personal blood monitoring was introduced I vaguely remember when I was about 30? I had my only son by C section, it was too risky for a natural birth!
I was 23 then. For most of my life I have been very active, Swimming, hiking, bicycling. Then at aged 30, I developed Multiple sclerosis! For the first few years it was managable. I worked ‘till I was 45, and then mostly worked from home. I was trained in textile design and printing. I had Thyroid cancer and two lots of breast cancer in 2006 and thankfully survived!
All my adult life I have learned as much as I can about diabetes and adjusted things to my personal needs and I’m still here. I’ve had more problem with other illnesses than Diabetes! If can’t fight it, be on the same side and learn as much as you can, then make the right choice, ask for advice and get on with life! Is there another option………yes, but it’s not a good one!
Sorry it’s a long reply, hope it helps, never give up, you can still do anything that anyone else does. It just takes a bit longer Carol x

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 74 years young and have T1 for 74 years.
@action replay, my goodness, so many horrible health challenges and you have been (and are) so strong! I regularly watch Dr Richard K Bernstein's monthly Youtube videos. When he gets a letter from someone with a long history like yours, he always says. "Ah, a survivor!" From him it is the highest praise. I wish you a long continuation. With your positive attitude, I think you are going to live and thrive (despite all problems) forever.

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@action replay, my goodness, so many horrible health challenges and you have been (and are) so strong! I regularly watch Dr Richard K Bernstein's monthly Youtube videos. When he gets a letter from someone with a long history like yours, he always says. "Ah, a survivor!" From him it is the highest praise. I wish you a long continuation. With your positive attitude, I think you are going to live and thrive (despite all problems) forever.
Thank you for your good wishes! Not sure if I want to live forever! A few more years, long enough to see life get back to some normality. Just thinking, that might be longer than we think! Keep well yourself xxxx

Sundial1962

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
This week marks my 60th year living with diabetes. Boy have a lot of things changed in that time but some things remain the same.

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I agree Sundial! No more metal needles on glass syringes! No more test tubes, and understanding carb counting ratio to insulin! Easy peezie! Keep going, keep well.

Jayno K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

im 52 and have had T1 for 50 years. Just waiting for my medal to arrive! so far have had no complications and I hope that continues!

RosemaryJackson

I'm 83 and was diagnosed 2009. For years I did nothing about it but now, after one horrible episode in my life, I eat low carb, do my morning and nightly tests and follow the rules. I joined fhis forum and am so glad I did. It has helped me so much and I am so grateful.