How old were you at diagnosis?

Clairslloyd

To greekqueen, ask for omeprazole, they are fantastic and work really well (when you remember to take them). Hope this helps :)

bubble

:? hi im new to this i found out 2 yr ago that i was type 2 i was 36 still trying to get my meds right i think this time they have my grandad found out a yr ago he was and he 83 bless him now my mum could be but there trying her with food to see how she gets on. still trying to get my head around it but more better now but when i found out i was in tears all the time :?

HbA1c 2010 9.8
HbA1c 7.5
still working on blood levels and trying new meds which i think is helping

Clairslloyd

Hi bubble and welcome. I was dx about 2 months ago and felt exactly the same as you to the extent that I ate a whole bag of midget gems to myself and then had to test (it was 13.9) so then realised that I do need to be careful and still have bad days so dont upset yourself too much when your levels aren't always what you want them to be. You can do it and you will receive much support from the forum members. :)

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi New to forum just been diagnosed at 57

Trying to lower my level from 22 on Monday before weekend. Present 12.7 using Gliclazide, all came out of the blue!

As I have BIG needle phobia, hope it stays at tablets and diet!

JohnJ

kareng236

Hello,

I was 52 when diagnosed as T2, but had been "glucose intolerant" for a couple of years. Both my parents were T2.

Hope this helps.

Karen

calisto51

i was being tested when I was fourteen, both parents diabetic, finally caught up with me at 48. that was twelve years ago. i wonder how long I was actually diabetic before it was confirme3d by the hospital

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I was 59. It was obvious within 3 months after H1N1 flu and other flu and stress. Previous symptoms may have been due to nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, due to drug but not sure.

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
19 years old but on my way too complete eradication, annihilation and discombobulation - I fear I may be the youngest.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
But you're Type 1, aren't you, Sugababy?

This is Type 2's - mostly Adult Onset, with a few exceptions like BPM, who was a very young adult!

Viv 8)

Seafront73

I was 66 at diagnosis in December 2010. In a way it was a relief to know something certain as I and the phlebotomist were almost on friendly terms, and my arms looking fleabitten from testmarks.

Geoff

brianbatts

I was 67,on diagnosis,that was last nov,and i am still pi**ed off.left by the diabetes nurse to carry on on my own,my bg is between 7.6 and 9.1 normaly,but if i drink a pint of exeptionaly diabetic orange without added suger it goes up to 10.3.What a bl**dy desease to make you emotianaly stressed,to the point of self harming yourself.

SHEILAC

Hi I was 70 when diagnosed. In hospital for an operation and was told I was diabetic type 2. That was 3 1/2years ago. Had no idea and no symptoms previously.

Margi

I was 17, I'm now 53. No complications but it's been a bit of a roller coaster at times until I went on a DAFNE course a few years ago and learnt more in five days than I had in the whole last thirty years.

No complications has a bit of a caveat: my toes are beginning to be a bit sensitive, so I guess there is the beginnings of neuropathy in my feet.

By the way, Brianbatts, orange juice is a recommended hypo treatment. It may have no added sugar, but it is crammed full of its very own natural fruit sugar. I'm surprised your BS only went up by a couple of Mmols with a pint! :shock: Mine would be sky high. Or maybe that is to do with the difference between type 1 (me) and type 2 (you), but I don't know.

It sucks that you were left to your own devices. If you are still around on the forum, how are you getting on now?

Sindri

I am 48 and diagnosed only a few weeks ago, I attend my first clinic on Tuesday coming and will get the result of my first H....... (still getting used to the terms and cant remember the rest lol) blood test.

Margi

Sindri said:
I am 48 and diagnosed only a few weeks ago, I attend my first clinic on Tuesday coming and will get the result of my first H....... (still getting used to the terms and cant remember the rest lol) blood test.
Hba1c

And I've never looked up what it stands for! :wink:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
What is HbA1c?

Hemoglobin is the oxygen-carrying pigment that gives blood its red color and is also the predominant protein in red blood cells. About 90% of hemoglobin is hemoglobin A (the "A" stands for adult type). Although one chemical component accounts for 92% of hemoglobin A, approximately 8% of hemoglobin A is made up of minor components that are chemically slightly different. These minor components include hemoglobin A1c, A1b, A1a1, and A1a2. Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) is a minor component of hemoglobin to which glucose is bound. HbA1c also is sometimes referred to as glycosylated or glycosylated hemoglobin or glycohemoglobin.
Source emedicinehealth

This is what it stands for - what it means though.....