How restrictive on Carbs are all you guys?

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't posted for a while due to a few isssues and I've lapsed in looking after myself and my diabetes but I feel ready to face the world again!!

I can't do low carbing as it seems to really upset my IBS so I know that I need some carbs and I'm also a coeliac so its not like I can go and buy some seedy bread so I just wondered how much carbs to you all tend to eat. I've also been advised to avoid all nuts and shellfish as I suffer from Anaphylaxis with an unknown trigger and although I am not allergic to these foods, combined with something else I eat could trigger it off!! I need to lose some weight and not much seems to be happening at the moment despite taking Byetta morning and night!

Currently I eat 30g porridge oats in the morning with some apple, my BG seem to be around 6.5 2 hours after so I presume this is okay?

Lunchtimes I tend to either have soup with 2 small slices of gluten free fibre bread, or I have 2 slices of the bread made into a sandwich with some ham or I have a small roll filled with ham and salad. BG after these lunches tend to be around 7 to 7.5 so is this a bit high?

Dinner I tend to have either 2 boiled potatoes, or 2oz dry weight of pasta, or 2oz dry weight rice and asstd meats and veggies. BG after my dinners tend to be again around 7.5 so maybe its too high?

I do exercise about 3 times a week and occasionally I get in from exercising and I am shaking and not feeling great, when I've tested my sugars are around 3.5 so does this mean I didn't eat enough at my dinner to cope with my exercise?

Thanks for any suggestions.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I couldn'tt handle that amount of starch. I avoid obvious carbs and try not to eat anything that has carbs in double figures.
I rely on my meter to tell me what works for me. I've been eating strawberries lately in quite large portions and Iseem to be able to handle them Ok
I like to keep my BG LOW, in the 4s and 5s, so I don't allow myself much latiude.
To me it's worth it, even if I did pass on the new Oat bread sold at our local artisan bakers. I bought a loaf for my sister-in-law as a gift and tasted a sliver of it. it's DELICIOUS!!
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm like Hana.......I too couldn't handle that many carbs in one day.

My daily intake varies between 60-80g carbs. I manage to eat all the things I want too, but I use low/medium Glycaemic Index foods coupled with the Glycaemic Load so portion sizes are VERY important to me. 30g of Porridge for me would be a massive amount. I am not a low carber BTW, just a 'reduced carber', seems to work fine for me.

Some of your food seems to be slow acting carbs and would possibly make your Bg levels rise later than 2 hrs, probably after 3 - 4 hrs. So what might seem a good level after 2 hrs might not be later on ! You might need a rethink about what you eat and the quantity, at least in the short run till you better understand what is going on.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So I should aim to have about 20-30g of Carbs per meal, have I got that right?

I dug out my collins Gem carb counter book and have to say I was rather horrified at the amount of carbs I was unknowingley eating!!

Its opened my Mums eyes as well as she is diabetic too, and just thinks of carbs as starchy foods, not including that canned soup she had for lunch or that apple!!!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Oh I love to make a leek and potato soup, If I used mainly leeks in it and just put 1 potato in the soup and it normally serves about 6 people do you reckon the carb content of that might mean I can still have it? Would it be wise to add some chicken to eat as well?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
One potato divided up into six portions makes the carbs per portion extremely low so you can go ahead with your soup :) You can add some chicken if you like but don't have to.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use cauliflower to thicken soups instead of potatoe...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think I may be fairly lucky when it comes to carbs, my daily average would be around 100g, but will range from about 70g to 120g and occasionally more some days.

A day in the life

Breakfast - 1/2 grapefruit...........................................6
Snack - 25g mixed nuts & raisins...................................6.4
Lunch - Bergen or wholegrain bread sandwich.................30
and an apple.........................................................21
Snack - 25g mixed nuts & raisins...................................6.4
Diner - Chicken curry, veg curry, onion bhaji & rice..........25
and an orange.......................................................12.8
Total carbs.........................................................107.6

The above is a fairly average meal plan for me, I eat curry two or three times a week, I eat one or two tablespoons of rice with a curry. I will also drink two or three glasses of red wine or a couple of beers. Also add in numerous cups of black coffee and tea with milk but neither with sugar.

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
I eat around 250-500g of carbs a day. I can eat as many carbs as I want :mrgreen: I just have to give myself the required insulin to combat the carb intake.

Breakfast = 3 shredded wheat full fat milk and some sugar (about 64g)
Lunch= Sherwood Sweet & Sour dinner + cup of tea 1tsp of sugar (85.6g)
Snack = Blueberry Muffin (56g)
Dinner Sausage casarol + Potatoes (60g)
Pudding = Strawberry Trifle + Areo chocolate + cup of tea (45.9g)

Total 311.5g

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
MegaMan - don't you put on weight with all that insulin? (I'm a type 2 so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...) 8)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow megaman - each to their own and if you are happy with your numbers then that's fine - not judging you but that is hardly a healthly diet for anyone - even a non diabetic! - thats a lot of refined carbs

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry I should of added I have cystic fibrosis so that is why I have Diabetes so thats why I need all the carbs, I weigh 56kg

CFRD (Cystic fibrosis related Diabetes) is very hard to treat and you are not alaaowed to go on a carb diet. if this was to happen I would become more thin and lose a lot of weight.

Diabetes mellitus is an increasingly recognized problem as survival in patients with cystic fibrosis improves. Up to 15% of children and adults attending cystic fibrosis clinics are found to have diabetes.

CFRD has characteristics of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Lack of insulin is the primary problem and people are usually slender rather than obese. However is recognised to be a distinct form of diabetes that requires a special management approach.

Dietary recommendations in CFRD is different from type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Conventional 'diabetic diets' which are used in some non-CF diabetes would be entirely inappropriate in CFRD.

It is important to eat enough calories to achieve normal weight and growth. It is not unusual to advise a high energy intake with increased carbohydrates aiming for 120 –150% of recommended energy intake for age and sex. A diet high in fat may also be advised (40% of energy intake).

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It's probably best to explain a bit to members Megaman......not everybody here will know or understand that you have different dietary requirements to the rest of us due to your medical condition........CFRD. Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes. Not your everyday Diabetes. Many will just look at the carbs and go WOW ! :shock:

I believe Insulin is the treatment and weight loss is a major problem, hence mega carbs and calories.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

As we repeatedly say here......we are all individuals and certain medical conditions may mean a different approach to treatment and diet regimes. It isn't always so simple........ :(

Edit:
See you have put an explanation in while I was posting.....that helps. :)

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cugila yes thats right :wink:

My blood sugar ranges from 3.9mmol to 9.0mmol this is with very strict control and has taken be a long time to achieve. I'm very proud of all the hard work I put in. I test around 9 times a day. I didn’t give myself any insulin the tester just says HI

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Thanks for that. From what I have read about (CFRD) it it must be extremely difficult to maintain good numbers so I congratulate you on your excellent control. :)

I hope we can be of some help to you, in the same way we can learn from you.

Don't be surprised when members have difficulty understanding why you eat so much.......it is far and away from what is considered the normal diet for a Diabetic.

ATB. :D

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
In my experience there is always something new to learn about diabetes. Diabetes was explained to me as a balancing act, like when you spin plates on a stick, you have to keep them all spinning and not just concentrate on one thing. Everything is link to your sugars health, weight, diet, stress, ect once you get them all spinning things are a lot easier

Diabetes is not just for Christmas :lol:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh now I understand megaman :) - like I said wasn't judging you and you seem to cope excellently with a difficult condition so hats off to you!

Your post just goes to prove what is said here time and time again - that the mantra "low carb is the only way to go" is not always the best advice and we should always weigh up things we read on the net with a persons personal circumstances - good luck and carry on being as healthy as you can be - oh and have one of those minty areo bars for me will ya! :mrgreen:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Megaman.
Yep.....pretty much how we here think too. A Holistic approach has to be the best way, concentrate on just one aspect of Diabetes and ignore other things at your peril !
Everything has to be taken into consideration.

I have been Diabetic (T2) for nearly 14 years and still don't know it all. I am still learning every single day.......doesn't pay to become complacent either ! It will come back to 'bite yer bum !' :lol:

Mind you don't break any plates BTW........ :lol:

ally5555

So true Ken !

I have pts whose CHO ranges from 150-400g - yes 400 - a manual worker who is very active.

Mega man needs alot of calories I assume so would need to eat more than most of you.

Allyx

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Sorry Megaman for my question - I didn't know the full story. Wish you a merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
:) If we don't ask questions we don’t get answers.

ally5555 my Calorie intake is around 5,000- 6,000 Calories a day that’s with build-up drinks like

Scandishack
Calogen
Fortisip
Nestle Build up soup