How the DOC helped me (after 49yrs of T1)

debwells

Hello Lisbet, yes I do remember having a metal contraption that looked and worked like a gun, I remember it was very painful. I too have had diabetes for 49 years, 50 years for me in September this year.

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yay DebWells - great to 'meet' another like me!! Hope you are well and living at peace with D?! I don't recall that gun thing hurting, but it was a long time ago....! Wish I still had mine.

If you are interested, Manchester Uni Hospital is looking for other long term diabetics for a study of neuropathy. See JDRF web site for research details - they'd love to hear from you as they've only had around 25 of us long-timers so far. (No payment, but fares paid and it's really interesting to take part and have a really thorough 'once over' for nerve damage.)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I got told "don't be so stupid" when in the ward at hospital and within 30 mins I had given myself my first injection.... No practice on an orange AND thats why I asked can I have something to numb my leg 1st... Reply.."don't be so stupid".....

I too remember my dad paying £100 for the Boh Man meter that I had in a shoe box and took everywhere with me..

My diabetic education in hosp was brilliant. 30 years+ diagnosed now.

Can still see the pictures in my head of the consultant and nurses on ward. Hated injections, was so glad when pens came out, and when given a pump almost 4 years ago well, honest.. I pretty much feel non diabetic now...

Reactions: 2 people

debwells

Yay DebWells - great to 'meet' another like me!! Hope you are well and living at peace with D?! I don't recall that gun thing hurting, but it was a long time ago....! Wish I still had mine.

If you are interested, Manchester Uni Hospital is looking for other long term diabetics for a study of neuropathy. See JDRF web site for research details - they'd love to hear from you as they've only had around 25 of us long-timers so far. (No payment, but fares paid and it's really interesting to take part and have a really thorough 'once over' for nerve damage.)

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not too far at all - I live nr London and they pId my train fare without question. Do give it a go - it's very worthwhile for those that follow us as it will help doctors to identify neuropathy much more easily and early on, so that bad damage can be prevented. Plus it's interesting!

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just watched that blog and am sitting here 22 years on from diagnosis feeling really horrified.

I was diagnosed at the age of 11 (a month after my birthday) and I still remember the ward sister at Sick Kids in Edinburgh telling my mum to pull herself together - I wasn't disabled, I had a manageable lifelong condition......a philosophy I still stand by now

I am currently expecting my first child and if the odds turn in that child's favour and they are diabetic - they will be given the same advice. I can guarantee that, unless there is a valid medical reason, I won't be doing blood tests on a sleeping child throughout the night.

It scares me that this is what diabetes has become..

Reactions: 6 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Who remembers the Ames book, with Sydney syringe?? And that they used Rupert the bear as a mascot ?? And the old blue injection cases with 2 large spaces on the right and left syringe part at the top and 2 spaces in the centre for insulin bottles.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who remembers the Ames book, with Sydney syringe?? And that they used Rupert the bear as a mascot ?? And the old blue injection cases with 2 large spaces on the right and left syringe part at the top and 2 spaces in the centre for insulin bottles.
I had the blue injection case with the spring-loaded syringe tube, but not the Ames book.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I've only clocked up 42 years so can't respond ;)

I used to see that Palmer injector gun in a glass cabinet in the chemists and I remember thinking nopenopenope

View attachment 4484

I have managed to track down two of them via the wonder of Ebay! I use one in demo at presentations I give about living with diabetes - Oh, the look on their faces - especially when they see the needles we used to use (22mm, 28G)!

But, yes, they were so painful - especially when the syringe ejected from the retaining clips and was left swinging like an upright pendulum in the thigh as the needle tore through fat and muscle. :inpain:

Needless (or should that be needles) to say, mine soon became a toy gun.

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Yes, i had both and the spring loaded syringe tube... with a spring that rusted to the bottom of the tube!

I would love to be able to track them down, along with the clinitest kit (with test tubes and dropper) and a 2ml glass syringe that felt like a milk bottle to this six year old!

Does anyone remember the little blue books for writing your urine test results?

Emsley75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit late to the party on this one as only just found this site (doh!).
Quite honestly that youtube clip makes me furious!
I've had diabetes since I was 8 and yes I know my parents worried but the attitude was 'right this is what we've got, lets get on and no it won't stop us doing anything' and it hasn't. This is the message we need to spread to young diabetics.
I too had that BM machine that took 2 minutes, my mum and dad couldn't afford it so all my dad's colleagues chipped in to buy it for me, how lucky I was. It was like a brick!!

Reactions: 4 people

Sue Anne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been a Type 1 for 41 years. When I was diagnosed the doctor told my Parents that I might have ten years to live! Needless to say at 15 this gave me the license to party until I would drop from alcohol to any and every drug I could do. My guardian Angel was with me all the way. At 21 I became pregnant and realized I can live a "normal" life and enjoy what I was told that I would never have. Blessed and looking forward to being a Gramma again!

Reactions: 7 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
47 years and I don't like that video either. What a nuisance they are to their mothers, eh!