How to celebrate type 1's birthday.........???

abcd99

It will be first birthday of my 26 years old son after he was diagnosed with type 1......Everything has changed since then.......what should I do.....no cakes, no sweets no soft drinks , no hot drinks..............Though my son was never celebrating his birthday but still ..........my heart pains, my eyes cry......what should I do....please help........

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Instead of restricting everything (and I don't know from your post if that's a choice you or he has made) as he's Type 1 and injects for the carbs he eats maybe get some of the things he likes but with nutritional information provided so there's no maths exam involved on the day and he doesn't have to calculate everything. That would feel like a bit of a day off for me :)

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
As a type 1 he can eat and drink whatever he likes as long as he manages it, it really doesn't have to be any different from anyone else's birthday celebration routine. This whole "can you eat that?" thing we get asked even by people who should know us well enough really annoys me. Yes, I'll have that cake thank you. I have this thing called insulin, with that, eating this cake is no different from eating a regular meal as long as I inject properly.

Edited to modify language

Last edited by a moderator:

abcd99

Instead of restricting everything (and I don't know from your post if that's a choice you or he has made) as he's Type 1 and injects for the carbs he eats maybe get some of the things he likes but with nutritional information provided so there's no maths exam involved on the day and he doesn't have to calculate everything. That would feel like a bit of a day off for me :)
First of all , thanks a lot for answering.........good that you said this........because even I want to ask same question to my son..I know that they can eat everything in limit with calculations and take insulin accordingly. But my son has been eating more or less same kind of food.........not even fruits sometimes........I am sure he knows what he is doing because his latest blood report was very good, everything under control. May be he is afraid to make changes.......and that is why will not eat even a little piece of cake on his birthday. It is my frustration that he has to eat calculated meals, other wise he seems to be ok with his new life at least that is what he shows us. .....overall it is painful situation for parents.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
D

Deleted Account

I think @abcd99 son has chosen to adopt a lower carb diet to manage his diabetes.
But I do not understand why birthday celebration has to be around eating. What about spending time together for more than just food - what about a theatre trip or a walk or some Generation Game style activity?
This is not a diabetes thing - this is about different ways of celebrating.
Children's parties include activities such as bowling or clowns or ... why does this have to stop when we become adults?

abcd99

As a type 1 he can eat and drink whatever he likes as long as he manages it, it really doesn't have to be any different from anyone else's birthday celebration routine. This whole "can you eat that?" thing we get asked even by people who should know us well enough really annoys me. Yes, I'll have that cake thank you. I have this thing called insulin, with that, eating this cake is no different from eating a regular meal as long as I inject properly.
I am so happy to read your reply.........and I know all this, but since my son does not like changes, I am stuck..........but I love you people.......this forum is like my family.....now I know that if he wants he can really celebrate his birthday, Not eating specific things is his own choice.........so that should not make me sad........I feel better.........thank you.

Edited to amend the quoted content

Last edited by a moderator:

abcd99

I think @abcd99 son has chosen to adopt a lower carb diet to manage his diabetes.
But I do not understand why birthday celebration has to be around eating. What about spending time together for more than just food - what about a theatre trip or a walk or some Generation Game style activity?
This is not a diabetes thing - this is about different ways of celebrating.
Children's parties include activities such as bowling or clowns or ... why does this have to stop when we become adults?
Dear Helen, we have share many posts in past where I had written that my son is very reserved kind of person and does not share anything with us or spend much time with us. Yes he is different person with his friends:).........so for me , I am not left with much choice except to make something nice for him to eat.......may be some day he will feel like spending some time with his parents, then I will do all that you have suggested. We just pray that he finds a good friend or life partner and enjoys his life.....we can only give our blessings to him.Thanks for your reply dear......I feel better.

D

Deleted Account

I am so happy to read your reply.........and I know all this, but since my son does not like changes, I am stuck..........but I love you people.......this forum is like my family.....now I know that if he wants he can really celebrate his birthday, Not eating specific things is his own choice.........so that should not make me sad........I feel better.........thank you.
My partner recently had a significant birthday which his mother was keen to celebrate whereas he did not.
Things changed when I pointed out that his mother's life changed significantly x0 years ago and he should give her a chance to celebrate that change - it was a celebration for his mother, not for him.
Perhaps someone (his father?) could point this out to your son?

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
limitless pizzaaaaaa

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He's 26, so you can celebrate his birthday by acknowledging how well he has managed his diabetes. Which is a very adult thing to be able to do.

I understand that cakes were an important part of birthday celebrations for a child, but now he's an adult you have to celebrate his birthday as an adult.

Cooking him a lovely meal, that is based on what he wants would be a very nice birthday present for him.

You could have something silly, that isn't food. Silly balloons, or something, funny hats, or whatever. Just so you can celebrate the child he once was, as well. I'm sure he'd understand if you explained, it was you who needed to do that.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Make Fat Head pizza, some coleslaw etc, diet drinks ( if he wants one,) prezzies and love from family and friends, the list is endless. I hope your son enjoys the day :-D

abcd99

He's 26, so you can celebrate his birthday by acknowledging how well he has managed his diabetes. Which is a very adult thing to be able to do.

I understand that cakes were an important part of birthday celebrations for a child, but now he's an adult you have to celebrate his birthday as an adult.

Cooking him a lovely meal, that is based on what he wants would be a very nice birthday present for him.

You could have something silly, that isn't food. Silly balloons, or something, funny hats, or whatever. Just so you can celebrate the child he once was, as well. I'm sure he'd understand if you explained, it was you who needed to do that.
Thank you Alison............I will cook him good meal..........surely he will be happy.........thanks.

Reactions: Alison54321

abcd99

My partner recently had a significant birthday which his mother was keen to celebrate whereas he did not.
Things changed when I pointed out that his mother's life changed significantly x0 years ago and he should give her a chance to celebrate that change - it was a celebration for his mother, not for him.
Perhaps someone (his father?) could point this out to your son?
I got your point...........thanks a lot.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have never celebrated my diaversity, mainly because I do not know the exact date. I asked my diabetes consultant a couple of years ago and he looked through my file and all that they had written was, 1989, not even the month :wideyed: it wasn't my hospital, I was in North Tees at the time.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just ask him what he wants to eat at the celebration. If he is careful about his carbs, why would he want a tableful of cakes and soft drinks etc, as hard as it is that is YOUR idea of what constitutes a good birthday. You sound like such a good Mum so if you know what he normally eats, just fill the table with salmon/nuts/cheeses/cold meats or hot chicken, low carb coleslaw, etc. Then add the balloons and whatever else (maybe some red wine!), and off you go. I am sure he will really appreciate that you have taken notice of how HE likes to eat. You mention he won't eat even a little bit of cake but why would he?, what would be the point of eating something that his body doesn't agree with, eating it because it is his birthday makes NO sense, that sounds like something other people feel that diabetics are somehow missing out on, believe us when we say we are not.

Reactions: abcd99

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first post diabetes birthday recently.

It was ****. You want me to apologise for wanting a bit of cake on my birthday? OK maybe I'm juvenile, I like cake. Didn't end up doing anything at all just because it would have rubbed it in.