How to get more fat

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So last night I made this meal. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/asian-chicken-stir-fry-with-broccoli

i
t was Only problem is I don’t think it had enough fat in, it didn’t overly fill me up. I added bare naked noodles as well but I just didn’t feel full. In fact about an hour ish later I felt quite pechkish.

this morning I am up really early (7ish ) and I am starving. And it’s not a good hungry so I am getting a bit of starch pain and just generally feeling not particularly great with it. But I’m intermittent fasting so can’t eat till noon.
I am having a cuppa with some cream in which will help.

but question is how could I have added more fat in this meal to make it more filling and long lasting? Should I have had 2 fillets of chicken instead of 1.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d keep the skin on the chicken for some natural fat and increase the amount of chicken.

As you’re trying to lose weight, eating natural fats attached to meat/fish is likely going to be more productive than adding fat.

Are you familiar with Ted Naiman’s PE ratio? It favours protein over fat or carbs and could well be helpful to you. I’ve just started on his book (which talks in very plain English), but this link gives you the gist, albeit in language that’s a bit less accessible: http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/p2e/AboutP2E.html

Tagging @Mbaker too as I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him post some helpful stuff on this.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’d keep the skin on the chicken for some natural fat and increase the amount of chicken.

As you’re trying to lose weight, eating natural fats attached to meat/fish is likely going to be more productive than adding fat.

Are you familiar with Ted Naiman’s PE ratio? It favours protein over fat or carbs and could well be helpful to you. I’ve just started on his book (which talks in very plain English), but this link gives you the gist, albeit in language that’s a bit less accessible: http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/p2e/AboutP2E.html

Tagging @Mbaker too as I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him post some helpful stuff on this.
Than, you

the chicken I use doesn’t have skin attached.
I was using chicken thighs for some things as I have skin on them but I’ve really gone off them because they keep seeming to be all brown and mushy inside when cooked and once the blood spewed out over the skin and just went black. Needless to say I couldn’t eat them.
For meals I generally have the chicken breast fillets but they are skinless. Don’t think I’ve ever seen them with skin on

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
H
Than, you

the chicken I use doesn’t have skin attached.
I was using chicken thighs for some things as I have skin on them but I’ve really gone off them because they keep seeming to be all brown and mushy inside when cooked and once the blood spewed out over the skin and just went black. Needless to say I couldn’t eat them.
For meals I generally have the chicken breast fillets but they are skinless. Don’t think I’ve ever seen them with skin on
have you thought about marinading the chicken breast in olive oil with your choice of herbs and spices? Day or a few hours before planning to eat I add good amount of oil and seasoning to the breasts it’s a bit like adding a tasty skin to the fillet I find. I do this often as it is hard to find fillets with skin on. I’ve been known to spatchcock my own chicken to get the skin on but takes time.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use this recipe and it’s tasty but I agree it’s one of the less filling, I always use chicken thighs/legs when using chicken as they have more fat which also equals more flavour I remove the skin before cooking if I’m dicing it and make crispy chicken skin soooo tasty!

play the skin out flat on a baking tray on foil, rub with a little oil, salt & pepper - sometimes I add a bit of dry spice such as cumin or paprika and cook in a hot oven until crispy- I do that with this meal and like @Goonergal suggested I use more chicken.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
H

have you thought about marinading the chicken breast in olive oil with your choice of herbs and spices? Day or a few hours before planning to eat I add good amount of oil and seasoning to the breasts it’s a bit like adding a tasty skin to the fillet I find. I do this often as it is hard to find fillets with skin on. I’ve been known to spatchcock my own chicken to get the skin on but takes time.
Does this add to the fat though?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I use this recipe and it’s tasty but I agree it’s one of the less filling, I always use chicken thighs/legs when using chicken as they have more fat which also equals more flavour I remove the skin before cooking if I’m dicing it and make crispy chicken skin soooo tasty!

play the skin out flat on a baking tray on foil, rub with a little oil, salt & pepper - sometimes I add a bit of dry spice such as cumin or paprika and cook in a hot oven until crispy- I do that with this meal and like @Goonergal suggested I use more chicken.
I
Ike the sound of that. I’m thinking of moving to chicken legs so hoping that means it won’t be so bloody and nasty. Never had an issue before, it’s only recently they seem to be weird.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

The meal you had would have rated very highly on Protein to Energy scale https://ptoer.com/, very much like a body builders meal. I would definitely add the extra chicken, then if your body senses an energy deficiency the theory is that your liver will create the energy needed. The alternative is to add energy on the way in via fat or carbs, but if it is optimisation you are after then protein is an efficient route, with around a 200 - 300 free caloric intake (David Ludwig, and generally well known fact).

I think Ted has nailed it https://twitter.com/tednaiman. What is interesting is that he isn't getting any push back from the elite in the LCHF / Keto / Carnivore space, I think because he is around 85% adjacent to LC, but is leveraging whole food protein more than fat and carbs, followed by results, common sense and science. Eric Westman also says to priortise protein first. Come to think of it Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades had similar protocols with Protein Power many moons ago in 1996 and Luis Villasenor of Ketogains is a walking advert for the higher protein route.

This is some of the foods I am testing with to keep the P.E ratio high. The 0% Skyr might raise a few eyebrows, I am using this in my second meal (with my creamy local dairy yogurt or full fat Greek in my first meal due to more activity earlier on), and I received an excellent email from Arla about how this is made. The hard Parmigiano-Reggiano has massive protein. The prawns are on offer at Morrisons (3 for £10). I remove the fat on the bacon (I have always done this, due to the quality of feed, problems manifest in the fat if there are any rather than muscle meat), again nice cheap tasty protein delivery.

upload_2021-2-26_9-7-31.png

Might I add, you don't have to watch the clock, why not knock up some eggs and bacon or coconut flakes with dark chocolate and Skyr. Whichever way you leverage your individual protocol it should be enjoyable with no uncomfortable hunger. I have found that if I feel a little peckish when I get up, a black coffee and starting little exercise dumps some liver glycogen in the form of an energy boost.

Reactions: Goonergal

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is interesting is that he isn't getting any push back from the elite in the LCHF / Keto / Carnivore space,
He's had a bit but as always with Ted there's no room for nuance.. he loves to try to make complex things look simple but ends up looking a bit simple himself sometimes.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
He's had a bit but as always with Ted there's no room for nuance.. he loves to try to make complex things look simple but ends up looking a bit simple himself sometimes.
True, this one was good as Dr Paul Saladino stands his ground and is well read. I would say getting the fat / protein ratio right depends on a combination of goals, food preferences and hormonal needs (especially for ladies, from what I have seen a leaning towards more fat in the diet seems to work well).