Type 1 how to get pump ?

Fenrir

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
folk music, spicy food, and football
I have been told by different health professionals that my diabetes insulin absorption problems could be solved if I went on the pump. However my diabetic unit said i that i had to do a course first before going on the pump. Was then told I had to wait 6 months, after doing the course. Then i was told that i have to have 6 months of perfect blood sugars to go on the pump which can't happen seeing as i'm having trouble getting everything stabilized. it feels like they have got it the wrong way round also because I suffer from depression and I may have had one sort of a suicide attempt. I've been told I can't go on the pump, in case I used it for such purposes. i've got more than enough insulin in my fridge to do my self harm without a pump. could somebody please advise me on how i can persuade my my diabetic unit that the pump is a good option rather than leaving me constantly, having insulin's absorption issues, and high sugars that at are causing a lot of damage.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Basically you need to be able to carb count so if a course isn't suitable for you then one to one with a dietician is fine.
Best thing to do is ask your consultant to put in writing why you can't have a pump then work on the issues. Do a search for INPUT the charity who deals with insulin pumps and have a good read.

iHs

I've never heard that someone needs to have months of good bg test results after completing a DAFNE course In order to be considered for a pump. I don't think that's correct so if that is what you have been told, I would look at the INPUT guide to getting one and email them to get advice as I suspect that there is a funding issue regarding pumps and CCG paying for them.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Fenrir, your poor insulin absorption together with your high bg levels should make you eligible for a pump under the ABCD recommendations (quality of life):

• Pregnancy
• Acute painful neuropathy or symptomatic autonomic neuropathy if
conventional treatment fails to enable adequate blood glucose control
• Hypoglycaemia unawareness
• Extreme insulin sensitivity
• Needle phobia
• Severe insulin resistance with poor blood glucose control
(especially if type 2)
• Specific quality of life issues:
– Pathological fear of hypoglycaemia
– Marked glycaemic excursions/dawn phenomenon
– Excessive number of injections for optimised control
– Impaired exercise capacity, abnormal eating behaviour or an unacceptable number of sick days
– Shift work or frequent travel across time zones
– In children: sub-optimal school performance, exclusion from aspects of a full school life; behavioural problems (for example, mealtimes); adverse impact on family dynamics

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/is-it-provided-by-the-nhs/

Do contact INPUT and ask for their help.

Reactions: 2 people