How to improve this daily keto-diet menu?

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About 2 years ago I decided to keto-diet and have breakfast at 6am, cream coffee at 9am, lunch at 12noon, cream coffee at 2pm and dinner at 6pm. Always..
plus these supplements every morning:
1 Wilko's Multivitamins and Minerals for over the 50s
1 Accrete D3 Calcium supplement tablet

Cream coffee:
1 spoon Nescafe Gold instant coffee
3 tbsp (45ml) double cream

Breakfast:
50g cheese (Gouda or Cheddar or Ementhal or Edam)
3 slices bacon or
2 Dulano Mini Bockwursts or
2 Dulano/Hertas Frankfurters or
1 Dulano Chilli Bratwurst
2 poached/boiled eggs

Lunch:
2-3 egg omelette filled with
3 slices bacon or
1 Dulano Bockwurst or
1 frankfurter sausage or
chicken/fish leftovers (less than 100g)
50g tomato
OR
2 LIDL/ICELAND Angus Aberdeen Quarter pounders (0-0.4g carb)
50-80g ASDA/LIDL Greek Authentic Yogurt, 50g raspberries
OR
fish/chicken leftovers (less than 100g)
50-80g ASDA/LIDL Greek Authentic Yogurt, 50g raspberries
2 poached/boiled eggs

Dinner:
fish or meat (120-210g)
celeriac mash or cauliflower mash
50-60g broccoli
50-60g baby spinach
sometimes 50g raspberries (3g carbs)

I did not have white rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, pizza, sweets, cakes or ready-to-eat foods with more than 1g carb/100g.

Daily results: measured before and 2 hours after meals
Breakfast: before 5.4-5.9mmol/L, after 5.8-6.1mmol/L
Lunch: before 5.8-6.1mmol/L, after 6.1-6.5mmol/L
Dinner
120g meat/fish: before 5.7-6.0, after 6.2-7.0mmol/L
210g meat/fish: before 5.7-6.0, after 7.2-7.6mmol/L

I measured daily for 6-8 weeks and found that the results for each meal were very similar and always below the 'have-diabetes' limit 7.8mmol/L. So, I stopped measuring breakfast and lunch daily, but always measured after dinner. About once a month I measured all meals just to check.

Maybe this menu is a bit monotonous. How can I improve it? Suggestions welcome...

Reactions: Rachel_H

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe this menu is a bit monotonous.
What are you aiming for?

Your breakfast/lunch meals seem to have quite a lot of processed meat. Ever thought of high meat content sausages to replace to "frankfurter" type stuff? Or if you still have a few pounds to lose just replace breakfast with nothing?

Reactions: Rachel_H

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I eat a wider range of veg including mushrooms, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, runner beans, celery, spinach, courgettes, lettuce, leeks, garlic, plus red/green peppers, onions, tomatoes and butternut squash in small amounts .
I like a spoonful of butternut squash mixed into the cauliflower mash - I store it measured into spoonfuls in the freezer.

I make low carb chicken and veg curry to have with cauli rice and spiced spinach, or chilli (reduced tomato, more meat)
Spag bol meat and low carb sauce with courgetti, made with extra mushrooms and less tomato
Salmon baked with black pepper and lemon juice, served with broccoli and green beans and cauli mash
Fish pie - a mix of salmon, prawns, white fish in a cheesy cream sauce topped with cauliflower mash.

While I usually have greek yogurt with fresh raspberries or a few blueberries, sometimes for a change I like chocolate mousse - just whipped double cream with melted chocolate stirred in then sweetened with stevia based sweetener. Or a low carb mug (microwaved) cake made with a mix of ground almonds and coconut flour. And rhubarb is coming into season - I have it lightly poached with truvia sweetener

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi resander, I'm no chef but there are lots of other foods you can try. I often have a salad for lunch (even in winter) Lettuce/Chicory/Pea shoots/Chinese leaves etc, Cucumber, Radish, Courgette, Celery with either Salmon, Cold meats, Patte, Cold Boiled Eggs etc. I just use an oil & Vinegar dressing.
SauerKraut, Kimchi etc.

My wife also cooks low carb curries which we eat with Cauli Rice, Kedgeree again using Cauli Rice.
Low carb Omelettes - think mushroom and herbs.
Cauliflower Cheese using cream cheese for the 'liquid sauce' then hard cheese for the finishing under the grill.
Then you can eat different cuts/parts of meat e.g. Lambs Livers, Kidneys, Heart, Oxtail etc.
Personally I like peri-peri chicken thighs, Lamb Shank in mint sauce, Liverwurst, high meat content UK regional sausages, Blood sausage or 'black pudding', gammon stakes.

Have you looked online for Keto recipes?
There are ones in the Low Carb and the Keto forums here, also www.DietDoctor.com

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two years ago I was on a medium carb diet but still suffered from fatigue and poor concentration, so changed to keto-diet about a year ago and soon I felt a lot better. Intend to continue, but need to make make the keto-diet a bit more interesting.

@bulkbiker
I forgot to include Tesco's Finest Pork sausages that contain 97% pork and 1.5g carb per 100g. They used to be my favourite, but the skins/casings seem a bit tough and chewy now. Did not notice that before.
ASDA's has an Extra Special Pork Sausage (90% pork). Will try that and check Sainsburys too.

I need to put on more weight so cannot drop breakfast yet.

@TriciaWs Really many thanks for the long list of useful suggestions. Will definitely add them to the daily keto menus.

@ianfOster
To say I am a chef would be a big lie. Totally inept, but can manage to produce my breakfast using an egg poacher to make two poached eggs in 85 seconds and the microwave to heat the sausage in 60 seconds.
For lunch I can fry quarter pounders or sausages or reheat food leftovers in the microwave. On a good day I can even make an omelette without causing damage to it or the kitchen.
My wife cooks the dinner, standard UK/continental dishes and many Asian. When she and other family members have potatoes or rice I have celeriac mash or Cauli Rice.

Thanks for the many interesting suggestions. Will add to our 'will try' list.

Have looked at keto recipes online, but have not tried any yet.

Reactions: Merrylizard1314

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two years ago I was on a medium carb diet but still suffered from fatigue and poor concentration, so changed to keto-diet about a year ago and soon I felt a lot better. Intend to continue, but need to make make the keto-diet a bit more interesting.

@bulkbiker
I forgot to include Tesco's Finest Pork sausages that contain 97% pork and 1.5g carb per 100g. They used to be my favourite, but the skins/casings seem a bit tough and chewy now. Did not notice that before.
ASDA's has an Extra Special Pork Sausage (90% pork). Will try that and check Sainsburys too.

I need to put on more weight so cannot drop breakfast yet.

@TriciaWs Really many thanks for the long list of useful suggestions. Will definitely add them to the daily keto menus.

@ianfOster
To say I am a chef would be a big lie. Totally inept, but can manage to produce my breakfast using an egg poacher to make two poached eggs in 85 seconds and the microwave to heat the sausage in 60 seconds.
For lunch I can fry quarter pounders or sausages or reheat food leftovers in the microwave. On a good day I can even make an omelette without causing damage to it or the kitchen.
My wife cooks the dinner, standard UK/continental dishes and many Asian. When she and other family members have potatoes or rice I have celeriac mash or Cauli Rice.

Thanks for the many interesting suggestions. Will add to our 'will try' list.

Have looked at keto recipes online, but have not tried any yet.

Resander, I'm not someone who does a lot of fasting, unless you could overnight, of course, but eating less often doesn't necessarily mean eating less.

I'm a small, slight female, but for my height and weight need a lot of calories to keep me going. When I fast, as as happens from time to time, for a variety of reasons, it doesn't mean I go without. It just means I eat within a shorter window (start later or finish earlier), or I am fasting for a specific reason - such as I did a while ago for a long haul flight, where I knew the food would be poor. That fast was about 30 hours in the end, which isn't long by comparison the the fasting ninjas on here, but it just meant I fuelled well beforehand, and when I broke my fast, I did so on nutrient dense foods, with a decent amount of fat included.

I'm not suggesting you necessarily get into fasting, just trying to clarify what may or may not have meen a misconception on your part.