How to lose weight?

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Only if all of a sudden we had no endocrine system to control appetite and the distribution of energy, but you’re free to believe as you wish :D

Actually, each macro requires a different amount of energy to metabolise, so straight away a calorie is not a calorie when it comes to energy in vs. energy out, and that’s before we even get started on the endocrinology.
These parameters can be determined over time on an individual basis statistically. I don't intend to argue the point with you. Your welcome to your opinion.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You can calorie count which will if followed religiously get you there, but the downside is that your metabolic rate goes down, so the meals you had during the day before the diet say 2000 calories will need to be cut by a third on a successful cico protocol - this has been tested in several trials and not a point argued against. Some moderate exercise is also required on this protocol. In general LDL does down on cico, but HDL and Trigs tend to go up (my opinion this is not good). The success rate or these diets after circa 2 years is around 5%. Hunger can be a problem on this protocol, but more sugary type "normal" food can be eaten (I do not classify junk processed food as normal).

Lower Carb diets which are higher in quality saturated fats, in trials outperform low calorie diets up to around a year in weight loss terms. Results are seen quicker. The foods tend to be whole foods (although dirty lchf / keto does dump weight), but restrictions are placed on potatoes, rice, pasta and other high glycemic starchy / sugary foods (many alternatives exist, but not as readily available in public). This protocol tends to improve HDL and Trigs, but in around 30% can make LDL higher (this is a major theoretical problem for some. Most of us who choose this protocol are satisfied that HDL and Trigs are more important as a generalisation). This regime keeps metabolism stable and opens up the pathways to burn fat as a norm.

So LDL cholesterol is a major deciding factor, depending on your beliefs, as there is alot of fear invested in this topic. I would suggest looking up Dave Feldman, Nina Teicholz and Ivor Cumins if this area troubles you.