1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

how to manage job with diabetes type 1 ?

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Chandradev819, May 30, 2016.

1. Chandradev819

Chandradev819 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I know here so many people who are managing their diabetics and every day jobs very well. I am software engineer having 9 years work experience from India. I have to work minimum 9 to 10 hrs for US or UK client timing. After getting diabetes type 1, I feel very difficult to sit for long time and don't get so much concentration in work.

Could you provide some tips to mange my jobs ? I am tacking the diabetics treatment from 1 months, it is under control.

2. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Try to get your levels under control while at work. It will help you with tiredness and concentration. If your working day looks more or less the same each day it shouldn't be too difficult. Have meals at the same time as routine makes diabetic life much easier. As you are not very physically active during your working hours choose your meals carefully. I would recommend something low carb so it wont spike you too much. Good luck :) You are still very new to T1 life and it takes a bit of practice

3. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

My tips are to test lots and to keep hypo treatments near. Sometimes, even if you have a job where you're sitting down a lot, I find mental activity can make you low.

4. Chandradev819

Chandradev819 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @ewelina and @azure,

Thanks for your suggestion. I agree with you people when ever my level will be in under control then i fell very energetic and active. I don't used to carry my glucose meter to office. Now i will take it to office and keep on monitoring it.
    Yes i also realize that metal activity make the glucose level low. Nowadays whenever i get headache i will eat small quantity of Low carb food.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook