1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How to replace breadcrumbs and flour in meatball recipes?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by resander, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Jam&Scones

Jam&Scones MODY · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation - I must also try the above at some point!

2. Ricky

Ricky Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thanks for this I will try it but what oven setting do you use and for how long please. Do you bung the lot in a bowl and mix it together or do you have to do the yeast and honey activation first with the warm water I presume?
    Thanks

#22 Ricky, Feb 27, 2020 at 12:16 AM
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  3. ZedZeeZet

ZedZeeZet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi, probably easier to follow the Oven tutorial, this one.
    If I am not not using the bread machine to bake the bread I have the oven at 180/ 200c and bake for 35 mins.
    I now mainly use my bread machine just to do the mixing and rising for the dough then bake in the oven as I can get a longer loaf.
    The recipe also works really well for making pizza bases and baguettes.
    I think the bread machine has been my best buy ever :)

4. srm100841

srm100841 · Well-Known Member

Instead of breadcrumbs or flour I use fine almond flour. This works really well for my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ricky

Ricky Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thank you sooooo much for that and the awesome video. As soon as I buy the gluten flour I will have a go. The Oat fibre is very expensive so I will use your suggestion of chia /flaxseed

I make a chia and quinoa bread but this one has got to be far lower carbs . At the moment I am having 2 Atkins crispbread at lunch which are very low carbs. Have had a heavy cold and my BS went up as usual (fasting well over 7) and it is just going back down again (fasting 6.4) !! Other than that my carbs are homemade muesli in the morning and fruit with lunch and evening meal. I rarely need to snack and if I do it is full fat cheese or nuts/nut butter. I do eat a square or 2 of 90-100% chocolate a day!!

6. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, Herr Svea and I are having fun following up the history and 'real'ness of Swedish meatballs, this fine summer Saturday morning in the southern hemisphere.

The recipe was taken from Turkey, in the early 1800s. Swedes have had to deal with famines and horticultural problems the same as all horticultural folks, and would have used breadcrumbs merely to 'plump' it up, and make it go further, which is a classic use of high-carb food globally, such as potatoes, pasta, rice, noodles, and bread, as we with blood glucose problems know all too well.

We make our Swedish meatballs with meat, onion, egg, and spices, and a bit of cream. And you know - Herr Svea is the real thing :).

Want to see the role of meat in Sweden? The wonderful, and depressing (of course!) movie 'The Ox'.

Makes me very grateful for the ease of eating dead cow in my own country.

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do they sell pork rinds in the UK?

8. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don't just bread or flour or eggs in meatballs - just mix the meat well with herbs/spices/seasoning and squeeze it well before rolling so it keeps its shape.

Other than that, a small amount of coconut flour or milled flaxseed works well in place of flour to thicken or bind food. And you can roll things in ground almonds or coconut flour before frying.

9. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

We have the unusually British name, Pork Scratchings, here.
    (And no, I don't know why!)

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They may help with the texture of adding breadcrumbs, without the carbs of breadcrumbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook