How to replace breadcrumbs and flour in meatball recipes?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blitz some pork scratchings. They make a good coating for KFC chicken.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The linked recipe below contains 22g carbs per 5 meatballs. Not suitable for keto diet. I guess other meatball recipes also contain about the same amount of carbs.

link to recipe:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/classic-swedish-meatballs

Personally, I'd just leave the breadcrumbs out.

If you massage the minced meat well enough it'll be fine. My only thought would be that without the breadcrumbs to soak it up the egg might make things a bit wet.

Others use crushed scratchings or pork crunch, but I'd just make it super-simple.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The linked recipe below contains 22g carbs per 5 meatballs. Not suitable for keto diet. I guess other meatball recipes also contain about the same amount of carbs.

link to recipe:
The breadcrumbs are just to make the meat go further. Just use the pork mince and whatever seasoning you like.
I found even the egg isn't really necessary although it may help the binding slightly.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
More meat less wheat :D
I often make meatballs and I never put egg or breadcrumbs in them. Minced meat, seasoning, herbs and sometimes a small amount of chopped onions and often a bit of cheese. Works great and Delicious! I also skin good quality (very high meat content) sausages and roll the contents into meatballs. Also delicious.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

link to recipe:

I don't use breadcrumbs when making meatballs, but I find that I had to add 2 tbsp flour, otherwise my meatballs seem like "cardboard" textured. I put a lot of chopped onions and add homo milk to make them juicy-tender. Marinating the meat for an hour or so at room temp before cooking them seems to also help.

Adding sausage meat (as the post above suggests) is a great idea! Choose the type of sausage (herbs used), that will be compatible with Swedish meatballs.

Sausage mixtures has lots of fat - and the fat will help bind the balls together so they don't easily fall apart.

Last edited:

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have seen some keto recipes make breadcrumbs from one of those 90 sec microwave breads, dry it out and blitz that. Not tried it myself, I did make the bread once and found it a bit weird - not horrible, just... not bread. :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

link to recipe:

Hi I make my own meatballs and never use any type of breadcrumbs or flour as they are really not needed, just meat, small onion, 1/2 egg to bind, flavourings and sometimes grated cheese.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would leave the bread out and try it.
If the texture is too crumbly, add a beaten egg next time.
If that doesn’t work, ad a sprinkle of psyllium husks or powdered chia seeds.

I actually prefer cooking mixes like this in a slab, meatloaf style, and then cutting into cubes to serve. It is a heck of a lot less phaff than shaping 6 million individual raw mearballs.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all!
for letting me know the high-carb breadcrumbs and flour can be left out. I Googled and found 2 very similar Meatball Base Recipes. Will try one of these.
4 servings:

800g beef mince (or mixed beef 70% pork 30%)
half onion, finely chopped
half tsp salt
1 egg
50ml cream
half tsp white pepper
butter for frying

1kg beef mince (or mixed beef 70% pork 30%)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1.5 tbsp mustard, coarse-grain and/or strong
2-3 tsp salt
black pepper (freshly ground best)
oil for frying

It is possible to add thyme, oregano, feta/normal cheese, parmesan, chilli, coriander etc to the mix too.

Hotpepper20000

Thank you all!
for letting me know the high-carb breadcrumbs and flour can be left out. I Googled and found 2 very similar Meatball Base Recipes. Will try one of these.
4 servings:

800g beef mince (or mixed beef 70% pork 30%)
half onion, finely chopped
half tsp salt
1 egg
50ml cream
half tsp white pepper
butter for frying

1kg beef mince (or mixed beef 70% pork 30%)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1.5 tbsp mustard, coarse-grain and/or strong
2-3 tsp salt
black pepper (freshly ground best)
oil for frying

It is possible to add thyme, oregano, feta/normal cheese, parmesan, chilli, coriander etc to the mix too.
I would leave the egg out. It just makes the mixture wet when not using bread crumbs.

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen one keto chef use psyllium husk instead of breadcrumbs, however it was in a coating meat and then frying it crispy recipe! Not sure how/if it could work for meatballs.

What do the breadcrumbs do exactly?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen one keto chef use psyllium husk instead of breadcrumbs, however it was in a coating meat and then frying it crispy recipe! Not sure how/if it could work for meatballs.

What do the breadcrumbs do exactly?

the breadcrumbs are usually described as a binder (think glue), but in reality, they do a lot more than that.
They absorb liquids , to stop the mix getting too wet. Then they hold it, preventing the mix from getting too dry.
They add bulk (always useful to Mums trying to feed large families on a small budget!)
By holding the liquid, and absorbing fat during cooking, they keep the flavour inside the food, and add succulence.

(My favourite Low carb breadcrumb-like coating is unbelievably easy - just equal quantities of coconut flour and ground linseed, with salt, pepper and whatever secret recipe herbs and spices you like. Dip piece of food in beaten egg, then roll in the powdered mix, then bake or fry)

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never use breadcrumbs in meatballs as I have never found is necessary. When making a meatloaf I have used large porridge oats,
However if I do wish to use something for coating, making sauces I always use low GI , high protein gram flour. (Found on Indian shelves at the supermarket and used for onion bhajis) Once the flour (made from 100% chickpeas) is cooked you would never know. My husband would never accept it if he knew!!!

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
(My favourite Low carb breadcrumb-like coating is unbelievably easy - just equal quantities of coconut flour and ground linseed, with salt, pepper and whatever secret recipe herbs and spices you like. Dip piece of food in beaten egg, then roll in the powdered mix, then bake or fry)

Thanks for the explanation - I must also try the above at some point!

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found it a bit of a doddle to keep to a low carb diet since diagnosis last year (A1c 102, last A1c 39 and on track for mid 30's with a bit of luck) which I put a lot of it down to not giving up 'Bread'. Always been partial to Scotch eggs :)
This is my version of this recipe to make Bread thus Breadcrumbs

190g....Wheat Gluten
40g..... Oat Fibre. (you can skip this if it is hard to get and add more chia seeds )
70g......Chia seeds (or Linseed's) I use white chia for a lighter colour.
5g........Salt
30g......Sweetener. (only really needed if you are trying to match the taste of store bought bread. I don't bother)
2..........Eggs
8g........Yeast
7g........Honey ( needed for the yeast to activate)
30g......Olive oil or butter
240ml Warm water.
The recipe calls for xanthan gum but I haven't found it necessary.

Use basic bread setting in a Bread machine. Can be done by hand though.
Works out at about 2-3g carbs per slice. Result!

Thanks for this I will try it but what oven setting do you use and for how long please. Do you bung the lot in a bowl and mix it together or do you have to do the yeast and honey activation first with the warm water I presume?
Thanks

Last edited: