Type 1 How to split lantus dose?

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!

Im thinking of splitting my lantus dose to help with high bgs in the morning.

My sugars are fairly level overnight but start rising about 1/2 to 1 hour before i wake up.

How would i split my lantus into 2 doses to maybe help with this?

Im thinking start with 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. But if i need more insulin to help the morning bg rise would i consider taking more lantus in the morning and less at night or vice versa?
I currently take 22 units.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question!
Thanks in advance..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your question isn't stupid @Tubzi

Never did split my lantus dose but I would take more in the evening than the morning to address the morning bg rise. Just keep checking your bg levels through the night until you get the balance right.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split mine 12 hours apart although my dose is smaller but found I need more overnight than during the day. I started half and half and this led to lows in the afternoon and higher morning results so I take around 60% at 19:30 and the other 40% at 07:30 right now.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I split my lantus following consultants advise to stop rise in BG which happened between 5.30 & 6.00am. I previously took 15 units @ 7am. I now take 8 units @ 7am & 7 units @ 10pm. It's worked for me. I know everyone is different but worth a go. Might be worth a quick phonecall to your nurse. Best of luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget the morning liver dump may be causing your early morning rise and splitting the Lantus may not help.