How to stabilise weight loss - low carb/high fat diet

Godfrey_97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello! My husband is type 11 and has lost 3 stone following the low carb/high fat diet. He doesn't want to lose any more weight but seems still to be losing. I don't think we should reintroduce carbs and have tried increasing portion size. However he says he is eating as much as he feels that he needs. He is snacking on high fat foods such as nuts, high cocoa content chocolate - anyone have any suggestions how to stop weight loss? He is 6 ft 2" and now weighs 12 stone 4 lbs. Thank you!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello! My husband is type 11 and has lost 3 stone following the low carb/high fat diet. He doesn't want to lose any more weight but seems still to be losing. I don't think we should reintroduce carbs and have tried increasing portion size. However he says he is eating as much as he feels that he needs. He is snacking on high fat foods such as nuts, high cocoa content chocolate - anyone have any suggestions how to stop weight loss? He is 6 ft 2" and now weighs 12 stone 4 lbs. Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum,

As you don't want to increase carbs (and it is best you don't), then your only other options are to increase fats or protein or both.

This happened to me after I lost all my excess weight. I increased both fats and protein from foods such as eggs, cream, cheese, mayonnaise. It took a while, and a lot of weighing and recording, but in the end I found the right balance and stabilised my weight. I have remained stable since 2014. I started by having an extra egg each day, and then some extra cheese, then cream in my coffee, and put more mayo on my salads. I also had a glass of red wine in the evenings. :) If you don't increase carbs, this is all you can do. In fact, I actually lowered my carbs to please my blood sugars.

Well done to your husband for losing his weight.

Reactions: dbr10

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Godfrey, impressive job on your husband weight loss. I am with everybody else, all he can do is increase the protein and fat. Could be something as simple as adding a tab amount of coconut oil to his coffee in the mornings.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I too agree with the other answers. I increase or decrease my fat intake to fine tune my weight. I little more or less works in my case, but your husband may need to be a bit more extreme. One of the few problems with a LCHF diet is that you don't feel hungry, so increasing food intake can be difficult. Has your husband tried eating dinner later in the evening? It may solve the problem.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Being Late onset T1 (LADA) is always a possibility when experiencing unexplained weight loss. Mis-diagnosis as T2 is common. Ask the GP for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and C-peptide.