How to work out carbs on cerials

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Cerial packs say the amount of carbs. If it say's a 25gram serving size is this the weight of cerial. Also is that assuming an amount of milk is included, or should I add say 7gram for the milk
Thanks all

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's it. 25g cereal is a bit less than four tablespoons, very roughly. That 25g won't include anything for whatever milk you add.

Whole milk is a bit less than 5% carb. Low fat milk has higher carbs. Total carb depends how much you use.

Kellogg's claim a total of 45g grams carbs for a serving (42g) of cornflakes plus 3/4 cup (180g) of skimmed milk.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
That's it. 25g cereal is a bit less than four tablespoons, very roughly. That 25g won't include anything for whatever milk you add.

Whole milk is a bit less than 5% carb. Low fat milk has higher carbs. Total carb depends how much you use.

Kellogg's claim a total of 45g grams carbs for a serving (42g) of cornflakes plus 3/4 cup (180g) of skimmed milk.
Ok thanks as i expected...I am on gluten free flakes.

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
I tend to use the MyFitnessPal app - you can specify the food down to each gram - so if you weigh 50 grams of cereal you specify 50 * 1g servings and it calculates carbs etc for you.

Easiest solution I've found.