How were you diagnosed? Prediabetes

mouseee

errrrm apart from what I put in post #18 I guess I'm being a bit paranoid, not been to a Dr or Nurse in years.... I'm aiming to collect some data first before I visit them.
Prediabetes doesn't have symptoms according to what I've read. So if you think you have any please see someone. Don't wait for data! Two blood tests and I was dxd.
I have a family history of t2 and when had a suspicion I had it I looked up symptoms I ticked them all off, including loads I didn't know were even symptoms. Only a couple of stone overweight and it had been creeping up over the past couple of years. Looking back, I have probably been t2 for at least 3 or 4 years without knowing it.

3 months on back below diabetic bs levels and feeling much better!

Reactions: Mister LJ

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Prediabetes doesn't have symptoms according to what I've read. So if you think you have any please see someone. Don't wait for data! Two blood tests and I was dxd.
I have a family history of t2 and when had a suspicion I had it I looked up symptoms I ticked them all off, including loads I didn't know were even symptoms. Only a couple of stone overweight and it had been creeping up over the past couple of years. Looking back, I have probably been t2 for at least 3 or 4 years without knowing it.

3 months on back below diabetic bs levels and feeling much better!
My Prediabetes symptoms were:

High blood sugar levels
Blackening of toes
Numbing and tingling of legs and feet
Dry legs and cracking of skin
Frequent urination in the night along with dry mouth
Blurring of vision.
(Higher blood pressure)
(Obesity)

It was the symptoms that drove me to seek a dietary solution and not the blood sugar readings.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm assuming that I have pre diabetes, over the last few weeks I've had a funny kind of ache in both big toe joints, also a.... like a damaged nerve in the middle finger on right hand. I've got just a little over weight and am taking some supplement B12 tablets, I'm not on any other medication. My Dad had Type Two Diabetes pretty badly and I'm determined NOT to go down his route. I have a diabetes meter which I've just started using again after having it a couple of years.
Do you know how to test? I have a feeling you're a bit reluctant to go to the doc, but you'll have to, sooner or later. Put your mind at ease, or get checked out further. Check bloodglucose in the morning when you wake, before a meal, 2 hours after the first bite, and before bed. Eat as you usually would, and take those numbers to the doc. Once there, ask for a HbA1c test. (You could plonk the numbers on here first if you want to, but we can't diagnose on here.).

The pain you describe could also be rheumatic, or a thousand other things, so yeah... You want to see someone about this.

Mister LJ

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Good Morning Jo & Mouseee, You are right! regarding not wanna see the Dr, but guess I'll have to at some point. I think I'm doing the readings correctly. Bear in mind the codefree strips are out of date expired 30Jan19 :rolleyes:
Here's my yesterdays readings....
Mon 4Nov19 -
5.6 Wake up - 8.25am
4.8 before cuppa tea 3 sugars at 3.20pm. Hour later 6.3
6.7 before tea 5.16pm - Then Omlette & peas, jam tart & cream.
6.7 after 2 hours 7.30pm.

This morning on waking... 5.6 Wake up - 8.21am.....BP 121/81 pul 78.....94.1 kg.

It's a start.... :D

mouseee

Those numbers look pretty good to be honest. They don't go too high or spike after sugar or jam tarts.

Obviously just a snap shot so not a full picture but they seem within a normal range. (Please correct me if I'm wrong people!)

The only way to really check if you are prediabetic is to get a Dr to do tests. I don't think they'd mind with your family history.

Reactions: Mister LJ

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
errrrm apart from what I put in post #18 I guess I'm being a bit paranoid, not been to a Dr or Nurse in years.... I'm aiming to collect some data first before I visit them.
So Mister LJ, how have your blood glucose test results been?

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I'll assume that my pancreas is still functioning then. You are right because I have done 3 tests in a row with my metre and the difference can easily be half a mmol. So I guess that could be in either direction and it doesn't mean anything much if it's only 0.2 mmols.

So I've looked at this link and I see:

For the majority of healthy individuals, normal blood sugar levels are as follows:

• Between 4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L (72 to 99 mg/dL) when fasting
  • Up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating
In Australia they won't even diagnose prediabetes until your fasting hits 6.0 mmol. I'm wondering how it is in Europe and the USA. Probably similar to the UK, isn't it?

I also wonder if I'm getting 8+mmol 2 hours after a meal with a small amount of carbs (I say small because I could have had a lot more of the sweet potato and rye pancakes that contributed to a one-hour spike of 11mmol that left me still in the 8s at 2 hours), even if I won't be diagnosed officially using a home metre, I should probably just assume I have a problem.

I would like a proper diagnosis but I'm probably not going to do another GTT anytime soon and if I stick with low carb eating, my HbA1c won't reflect how glucose intolerant I actually am.

I just imagine that before people develop insulin resistance, they can eat carbs, only spike to about 6 mmol, and probably return to base or fasting (in the 4s) within 2 hours. Is that how it works or does it take 3 or 4 hours for everyone to return to base?

Am I right to assume that if you sit 2 or 3 mmol above your starting point at 2 hours postprandial that you probably already have some level of insulin resistance?

I am in Australia too and diagnosed thru ogtt it was Marley high but still my gp diagnosed me , it was post delivery ogtt , talk to your gp and also go for Hba1c

NitinHP

I went to my gp re issues with my eyesight in Oct 19. Thinking about it now, I had been getting up at night to pee and had dry mouth for considerably longer. Maybe even 10 years or so. I will need to check my blood test records, which consist of 3 over the last few years, as nothing was mentioned in my first test? Something is telling me, it should have come up then!

It was about the time I was attacked by a gang, lost my job, lost my girlfriend and suffered a back injury and my mother was diagnosed with Parkinsons on top of diabetes and all her other ailments (a very strong woman)which put me into depression for about 5 years . During this time I had no structure or support at all. No alcohol, but really poor eating material.

I went from training 4 or 5 times a week to nothing overnight. I am not sure what started what, but I am here now and will deal with. Cant ever go back

I had a Hba1c test (fasting blood test) at 6.4

Last edited:

himma1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,
I'm just wondering how you were diagnosed with Prediabetes?

Was it a HbA1c or an OGTT?

And what kind of results got you this diagnosis where you live? (I believe some of us come from outside the UK).

I'm in Australia and recently did a GTT with these results:

Fasting: 4.4 mmol
1h: 12.1 mmol
2h: 6.5mmol

They didn't diagnose me with anything. They only suggested I "may have glucose intolerance" and to "come back in one year for further tests."

Fasting levels at home are typically 4.8 - 5.2 while eating low carb and breastfeeding.

This past couple of days I tried reintroducing carbs and this morning my fasting was 5.2, but then climbed to 5.4 in the next hour before I ate. I guess that's typical foot on the floor when you have an excess in your liver.

Otherwise, after 6 months of low carb and while breastfeeding, I sometimes would get a 4.8 that goes back to 4.6 with further fasting...

OGTT as HbA1c is in the normal range... I always wonder if I already had this issue prior to being pregnant (and got diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks). It makes me wonder how many people are not diagnosed until their Hba1c is in the prediabetic/diabetic levels even though they may have glucose intolerance, given how rarely people are told to take the OGTT here in the US? Is that the same in Australia and UK?

Were you diagnosed with GD early in your pregnancy?

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks,
I'm just wondering how you were diagnosed with Prediabetes?

Was it a HbA1c or an OGTT?

And what kind of results got you this diagnosis where you live? (I believe some of us come from outside the UK).

I'm in Australia and recently did a GTT with these results:

Fasting: 4.4 mmol
1h: 12.1 mmol
2h: 6.5mmol

They didn't diagnose me with anything. They only suggested I "may have glucose intolerance" and to "come back in one year for further tests."

Fasting levels at home are typically 4.8 - 5.2 while eating low carb and breastfeeding.

This past couple of days I tried reintroducing carbs and this morning my fasting was 5.2, but then climbed to 5.4 in the next hour before I ate. I guess that's typical foot on the floor when you have an excess in your liver.

Otherwise, after 6 months of low carb and while breastfeeding, I sometimes would get a 4.8 that goes back to 4.6 with further fasting...
Your levels look fine to me, well done. Low carbing will be helping. Your fasting level isn’t diabetic, so I don’t think they’d diagnose off that. My fasting level was 9 when I was diagnosed late onset type 1. 2 hours later it’s within range at 6.5.
I was starting the day on 12 and rising to 24. That was reduced carbs, if I’d been eating high carbs I’m not sure what the numbersw hood even been! Plus on an insulin producing med. Felt unwell and all the usual side effects of hyper.
I was diagnosed pre diabetic a few years back, on the yearly hba1c, I’m in the uk. I’d have more frequent hba1c testing when taking new meds etc so perhaps every 3/4 months.
May one once you’ve stopped breastfeeding or are noticing symptoms of higher blood sugar levels you could ask for an hba1c to be done? And go from there.
Good luck, take care.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
OGTT as HbA1c is in the normal range... I always wonder if I already had this issue prior to being pregnant (and got diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks). It makes me wonder how many people are not diagnosed until their Hba1c is in the prediabetic/diabetic levels even though they may have glucose intolerance, given how rarely people are told to take the OGTT here in the US? Is that the same in Australia and UK?

Were you diagnosed with GD early in your pregnancy?

I was diagnosed after 28 weeks pregnant (with baby #3), which is the usual time they routinely test unless they suspect earlier that you have a problem. I have the feeling I had gestational diabetes with baby #2 as well but wasn't tested. Just couldn't stop peeing in the final weeks, and I mean, couldn't stop. I'd finish one pee, stand up to leave but felt like I had to pee again... I was drinking a lot of tea and eating biscuits and things then too.

But I always say my baby saved me from getting full blown diabetes right away because I doubt I would have had a test until I had proper symptoms, and by then you are usually further along than prediabetes. So having it during pregnancy is a blessing in disguise really. At least I can hold it at bay a bit longer by changing the way I eat.

I suspect I still have some type of glucose intolerance because every time I have tried to reintroduce a "normal" serve of carbs in my meals, even after the first 3 days when you are waking your pancreas up again after low carbing, I still seem to spike higher than is normal - I got 10 mmol from 4 slices of baguette (and they are small round slices). I come back to the normal range by 2 hours luckily, usually 5 - 6 mmol (unlike in pregnancy when I would still be in the 8 mmols at 2 hours.) I know it's not terribly high but knowing that a person with a normal glucose metabolism has 4 - 6 mmol blood sugar at all times, even after carbs, I know mine is not ideal.

Last edited:

himma1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed after 28 weeks pregnant (with baby #3), which is the usual time they routinely test unless they suspect earlier that you have a problem. I have the feeling I had gestational diabetes with baby #2 as well but wasn't tested. Just couldn't stop peeing in the final weeks, and I mean, couldn't stop. I'd finish one pee, stand up to leave but felt like I had to pee again... I was drinking a lot of tea and eating biscuits and things then too.

But I always say my baby saved me from getting full blown diabetes right away because I doubt I would have had a test until I had proper symptoms, and by then you are usually further along than prediabetes. So having it during pregnancy is a blessing in disguise really. At least I can hold it at bay a bit longer by changing the way I eat.

I suspect I still have some type of glucose intolerance because every time I have tried to reintroduce a "normal" serve of carbs in my meals, even after the first 3 days when you are waking your pancreas up again after low carbing, I still seem to spike higher than is normal - I got 10 mmol from 4 slices of baguette (and they are small round slices). I come back to the normal range by 2 hours luckily, usually 5 - 6 mmol (unlike in pregnancy when I would still be in the 8 mmols at 2 hours.) I know it's not terribly high but knowing that a person with a normal glucose metabolism has 4 - 6 mmol blood sugar at all times, even after carbs, I know mine is not ideal.

Your numbers honestly are pretty good given you're back down to normal by 2 hrs. I don't think I'd be down to normal of 5-6 mmol if I had 4 slices of baguette. Am guessing your hba1c and fasting are all ok as well? I have been eating really strict to try to keep myself from spiking too high post meal. Did your doctor ask you to check your sugars post meal?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Your numbers honestly are pretty good given you're back down to normal by 2 hrs. I don't think I'd be down to normal of 5-6 mmol if I had 4 slices of baguette. Am guessing your hba1c and fasting are all ok as well? I have been eating really strict to try to keep myself from spiking too high post meal. Did your doctor ask you to check your sugars post meal?

Yes, I'm fortunate that it was caught early. My HBA1c was 5.3% I think, but that was on a low carb diet, which I had continued after giving birth. My doctor (at the time) was more concerned about making me take a statin since my total cholesterol was around 8 mmol (trigs low and ratios good though). I'd not long had a c-section and was breastfeeding and eating low carb so the combination made it a bit high.

As far as that doctor was concerned, I don't have a blood sugar problem. But knowing that they let you go until you have symptoms doesn't reassure me that I wasn't heading there without a dietary change. Pregnancy tends to warn us of things to come, doesn't it? Some might be lucky but I wasn't pregnant in my 20s when things are more likely to go back to normal after giving birth. I just know if I let it go and continue snacking on biscuits like I had been for the last 25 years, it must eventually catch up with me. So I'm being stricter with myself than a doctor would because they are used to dealing with advanced disease rather than preventative medicine.
My fasting levels vary between 4.9 and 5.4 usually but I had a 5.8 the other day which made me skip my square of dark chocolate, which I still have most days. If I try to sneak a half cup of rice or half a potato into a meal here and there for few days, I see my fasting levels closer to mid 5s and sometimes over. I only see 4.9 if I stay super low carb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dearbhla and himma1